IGNORED

Tipping Course Monitors

Patch
Note: This thread is 1739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

That freaking guy with the dreads annoys the heck out of me.

Most course monitors are retired and over 60.  This guy has dreads?!  I already like him.  Maybe he'll slip you a joint.

10 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Most course monitors are retired and over 60.  This guy has dreads?!  I already like him.  Maybe he'll slip you a joint.

Nah. With that dude, it's more like he might steal yours.

Come to think of it, maybe that guy just stole a starters flag so we think he can do whatever he wants.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Oh. There's one thing those guys are good for. 

They run around the place in their carts and when they see an opening, they play a hole. You see this all the time when it isn't crowded.

That freaking guy with the dreads annoys the heck out of me.

Yes, so instead of helping groups keep pace, they take advantage by practicing on the open hole in front of the slow group.

- Shane

1 minute ago, CarlSpackler said:

Yes, so instead of helping groups keep pace, they take advantage by practicing on the open hole in front of the slow group.

I've seen in plenty of times.

Obviously, its not really possible when its busy. That's part of the reason they don't work weekends or during your leagues.

2 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

So it's to his advantage that there are slow groups.  The more slow groups the more holes that are open.

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

How can you believe that tipping is “out of hand”, but at the same time not care that many of us choose to tip?

I’ve never once tipped because I felt that I was compelled to do so.

If you don’t want to tip, don’t.

Out of hand because more and more and more people/ jobs are requesting tips.    I get what you are saying, but the simple act of asking for tips is what I was referring to

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I tip my doctor after a DRE.

LOL! Awesome.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Vinsk... I knew you would appreciate that comment.  You can ask your patients to do the same.  

Gonna remember to put a jar in the corner....

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I suggest it would be difficult to come up with a set rule about tipping that covers all of golfdom. The rules for tipping depend both on local custom and the club's business model.

In St. Louis area, the upscale private-equity clubs have strict rules on tipping. Most of them charge a set gratuity for food and services members or their guests receive. The tip is added onto the charge slips the members sign - no money actually changes hands in this genteel setting. At the end of the month, management divides up the accumulated gratuities among employees.

In some clubs, the inside personnel get percentage gratuities and the outside personnel - the bag and cart crew - can accept cash tips.

IF you're going to be a guest at such a club, see if you can access the guest's portal of the club's web page. This will give rules on dress code for different parts of the club grounds, and rules on tipping.

At public courses, most of the tipping is food-and-beverage related.

On semi-private courses, it's harder to guess the rules. At the club where I have a year-to-year membership, most of the tipping is cash related to food and beverage.

Around Thanksgiving, the management sends out a request to both deeded and yearly members for contributions to the holiday fund for the for the hourly employees.

As for course monitors, their employment status varies. Clubs hire monitors that match the club's style.  I'm not sure an extra $5 is going to make them push the group ahead of you to play faster.

In resort zones, the starters and rangers sometimes get tips because they put the bags on the carts. Also, your group might get to tee off a bit earlier with a tip - kind of like tipping the head waiter to get a better table. 

Edited by WUTiger
prune words

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 1739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!