bones75

Ridiculous Scores on a Hole?

24 posts / 2113 viewsLast Reply

I once shot a 13 on a par 3 with only one penalty stroke. Not a great story, just kept overshooting the green into trouble without taking my medicine over again and again (lots of missed flops). Granted it wasnt a serious round (at least after i played my 6th shot that hole it wasnt).  This as a ~12 index at the time.

This high schooler shot a 21 on a hole, but the article doesnt give the play by play for the hole. He carded a 92 for the round!

Edited by bones75

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

He had an albatross (three under par on a hole) then a 21 on a par 4!.  How long is a par 24 anyway?  Either way, back to back albatrosses are probably very rare.

I haven't read the article yet, but you know it's a tough hole when the par rating has to go into the factorials. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On a course I play quite often there is a plaque on the 14th tee that reads the club captain once shot a 28. It is a short par three, and stroke index 18. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

On a course I play quite often there is a plaque on the 14th tee that reads the club captain once shot a 28. It is a short par three, and stroke index 18. 

I love it when a course has a marker indicating someone shot a big score there.  My home course has a marker on the #18 tee commemorating the time when Arnold Palmer, in the second round of the 1961 L.A. Open, made a 12 at the par-5 hole.  

In my earlier years of playing I made 8s on par 3s and 10s on par 5s, but I don't think I've ever shot anything beyond that. I don't play in tournaments so these days I pick up after ESC for pace of play reasons.

I have not personally seen any really high numbers put up on a hole. 

I saw a guy shoot a 12 on on a par 4. He was so frusterated, he threw his bag, clubs, and all into the irrigation pond. That event is a story in itself. 

Myself I have some 10s but those were a few decades ago. A high number for me now would probably be a 7. Then again I haven't had a 6 in months. 

I see alot folks these days that instead of shooting a big number on a particlar hole, they use that "equity stroke" thing. They say it saves time, and the troublesome hole doesn't screw up their hdcp. 

Guy I played with in the club championship earlier this year made 13 on a relatively benign par-3.   6th hole on the first day of the 2 day, stroke play tournament.  Hard to watch.  

I made a 13 on a par 5, once (at Poppy Hills, it was #10 then, is now #1 after the recent remodel). After a drive in the center of the fairway, but with the ball slightly above my feet, which should have promoted a draw going left, I kept hitting balls way right, into the forest, out of bounds. Eventually, the golf gods had pity on me and spit one back out, in play!  Troubles were not over as I chipped one down the green and into the lake, and then proceeded to 3-putt.  A smooth 13 it was, indeed! :doh:

I remember when i was teaching my gf to golf about 10 years ago, i was watching the pga championship. My gf walked in the room just as padraig harrington was making an 8 or a 9 on a par 3 (cant remember exactly), and she said, "oh, i guess everyone shoots like that..."

22 minutes ago, bones75 said:

I remember when i was teaching my gf to golf about 10 years ago, i was watching the pga championship. My gf walked in the room just as padraig harrington was making an 8 or a 9 on a par 3 (cant remember exactly), and she said, "oh, i guess everyone shoots like that..."

I'm going to guess this wasn't 2008, when Padraig won said event.  I feel I'd remember it more if he won it despite such a high score on a hole. 

Ridiculous scores? Uh yeah. Pretty much every round.

I don't think I've put anything over a 10 on a card this year. Then again, I've been picking up an awful lot of balls lately.

I may have shot a 12 in my lifetime but I do not recall.  If a hole goes seriously sideways I typically pickup after 9 or 10 and move on.  Never had a Tournament round result in worse than 10, which is still awful.

I did witness a 15 on the opening par 4 at the Ann Arbor Men's Championship (#10 starting on 1 and 10).  My fellow competitor got the Shan ... lateral hits and kept hitting his wedge into the junk.  I remember the monologue like it was yesterday.

"Sh-t"

"I am taking a drop"

"Sh-t"

"I am taking a drop"

"Sh-t"

"I am taking a drop" ...

My buddy picked up on a hole he was hacking the crap out of the other day. At the end of the hole I asked him what score he wanted to put down. He said he shot, "infinity"! So, I put down the little sideways 8 symbol for that. He wanted to quit, but I told him to hang in there. He settled down and shot a 44 on the back. At the conclusion of the round I told him that I had shot 83, and he shot an 86-infinity. 

46 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

My buddy picked up on a hole he was hacking the crap out of the other day. At the end of the hole I asked him what score he wanted to put down. He said he shot, "infinity"! So, I put down the little sideways 8 symbol for that. He wanted to quit, but I told him to hang in there. He settled down and shot a 44 on the back. At the conclusion of the round I told him that I had shot 83, and he shot an 86-infinity. 

Oh wow, when you shoot infinity on a hole, you're really grateful for ESC when posting. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

Oh wow, when you shoot infinity on a hole, you're really grateful for ESC when posting. 

So are the people following you!  ;-)

The highest score I can remember came on the second day of a 36-hole stroke play event at my club.  The 17th hole is a shortish par 4 that bends gently leftward, with a hazard on the left, and OB down the right.  The cart path follows along just inside the OB line.  My friend V____ (not Vishal) hit his first off the cart path and OB.  And his third, fifth, seventh, I'm not sure how many.  Playing partners said the shots all hit the path within a few feet of each other.  He eventually made 17 on the 17th.  When he stepped on the tee, he was leading.  when he left, leading no more.

Edited by DaveP043

I resort to ESC at least once a round. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have an index that I could live with 😎