JPW

Seeking Advice/ Opinions regarding Driving Iron

4 posts / 680 viewsLast Reply

I’m a new member so bear with me. I apologize on the front end for the length of the post. I searched the topic but didn’t find any current info that satisfied my questions. I’m relatively new to the golf game and am a high handicapper. I have been making some game adjustments in an attempt to lower my scores. More on that in a bit.

I purchased a set of one length irons online from Giga Golf and have been pretty happy thus far. The set is 5-PW with a GW and SW. The highest wedge is 55 degrees and it’s been an adjustment to chip with but it’s getting better as I get more time on them. I seem to run into more issues on the front end of the irons. The 5 iron as the longest iron leaves a guy short from time to time. I run a more traditional set up of Driver,3 wood and 5 wood up top. My problem is that my driver is my most consistent club as in I consistently slice it to the right. My home course has rather forgiving fairways and dog leg rights so it’s not a huge issue. As I have opened my horizons and started playing more new courses I’ve been having issues with hitting fairways. I was getting to the point of refinancing my home to supply balls for my habit. I have switched over to an iron off the tee. My thought process is that even though I am short I am not taking my second shot from the next fairway over with a new ball. I’m no pro and my consistent yardage with my 5 iron is probably only around 150ish yards. So a par 5 becomes a bit time consuming. I’ve had mixed success with hybrids and was wondering if I might be a candidate for a driving iron. Some of my research suggests that they are not really targeted at high handicappers but I hit my irons decent and seem to struggle with consistent accuracy with woods and hybrids. I know the logical answer is to fix the slice with my driver but that’s a project and I’d rather not hemorrhage balls while I straighten it out. I could be way screwed up on my approach but let’s hear your thoughts.

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

12 hours ago, JPW said:

I’m a new member so bear with me. I apologize on the front end for the length of the post. I searched the topic but didn’t find any current info that satisfied my questions. I’m relatively new to the golf game and am a high handicapper. I have been making some game adjustments in an attempt to lower my scores. More on that in a bit.

I purchased a set of one length irons online from Giga Golf and have been pretty happy thus far. The set is 5-PW with a GW and SW. The highest wedge is 55 degrees and it’s been an adjustment to chip with but it’s getting better as I get more time on them. I seem to run into more issues on the front end of the irons. The 5 iron as the longest iron leaves a guy short from time to time. I run a more traditional set up of Driver,3 wood and 5 wood up top. My problem is that my driver is my most consistent club as in I consistently slice it to the right. My home course has rather forgiving fairways and dog leg rights so it’s not a huge issue. As I have opened my horizons and started playing more new courses I’ve been having issues with hitting fairways. I was getting to the point of refinancing my home to supply balls for my habit. I have switched over to an iron off the tee. My thought process is that even though I am short I am not taking my second shot from the next fairway over with a new ball. I’m no pro and my consistent yardage with my 5 iron is probably only around 150ish yards. So a par 5 becomes a bit time consuming. I’ve had mixed success with hybrids and was wondering if I might be a candidate for a driving iron. Some of my research suggests that they are not really targeted at high handicappers but I hit my irons decent and seem to struggle with consistent accuracy with woods and hybrids. I know the logical answer is to fix the slice with my driver but that’s a project and I’d rather not hemorrhage balls while I straighten it out. I could be way screwed up on my approach but let’s hear your thoughts.

I think instead of spending more money on equipment you take some time to develop a swing that nets you more fairways hit and less money buying golf balls.

I’m also going to have to recommend lessons.  Absent a significant physical limitation, for an adult male, 150 yards with a 5-iron reflects a serious swing issue.  That’s actually good news, because a good instructor should be able to get you moving in the right direction quickly.  I wouldn’t spend a nickel on more equipment until you do so...

I’d also recommend uploading a swing video in the member swings section at the link below.  There are several highly qualified instructors here that can give you some insight and guidance immediately.

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

:beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had the same issue and tried a similar route but alas no magic cure. Unfortunately a different club won't cure the problem, you have to address the slice. I worked with our local Pro on my swing and must of hit 1,000s of balls at the range. Now fairly consistent with my driver and hey presto picked up yardage and better dispersion off my irons as well. So in a nutshell invest in lessons not clubs.