Sam Snead vs Tiger Woods

Who is better Tiger or Sam Snead?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Sam Snead or Tiger?

• Sam Snead
    • Tiger Woods
    • Abstain

11 posts / 1043 viewsLast Reply

Please! give an actual explanation on who you think is better. 

"Tiger because he won 15 majors"- Non acceptable explanation.

"Sam Snead because he won 82 tour events"-- Non acceptable explanation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to discuss other things as well!

3 minutes ago, KrisF said:

That's not how this site works. I'm glad you're enjoying the poll feature, but since this topic pretty heavily favors Tiger, I don't think you're going to get many votes for Snead:

And who IS better? Tiger. Sam is dead.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's not how this site works. I'm glad you're enjoying the poll feature, but since this topic pretty heavily favors Tiger, I don't think you're going to get many votes for Snead:

And who IS better? Tiger. Sam is dead.

Okay, So next time just dont say "Feel Free to discuss other things"

6 hours ago, KrisF said:

Okay, So next time just dont say "Feel Free to discuss other things"

Making up a poll where 100%of sane responders say the same thing is not "discussing".

You may as well ask whether anyone thinks baseballs might replace golf balls in some major tournaments at some time in the future.

In EVERY genuine classification, Tiger exceeds Snead, in case you were wondering. Except, perhaps smoking.

4 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Making up a poll where 100%of sane responders say the same thing is not "discussing".

You may as well ask whether anyone thinks baseballs might replace golf balls in some major tournaments at some time in the future.

In EVERY genuine classification, Tiger exceeds Snead, in case you were wondering. Except, perhaps smoking.

And Snead was incredibly flexible, even when he was old.

Snead was a great player, but many of his wins were against weak competition. Loved his swing though, so smooth.

11 hours ago, KrisF said:

Please! give an actual explanation on who you think is better. 

"Tiger because he won 15 majors"- Non acceptable explanation.

"Sam Snead because he won 82 tour events"-- Non acceptable explanation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

190503-tiger-trophy.jpg

How many PGA Tour titles should Tiger Woods have? Using the same 'Sam Snead criteria,' quite a few more

Perhaps you’ve read this...But this article explains it pretty well. Tiger easily surpasses Snead. I can guarantee you if Nicklaus was closer to contending for most victories he’d been aggressively pushing to discount many of Snead’s wins.

Wow, @Vinsk ... I had no idea how many of Sam Snead's wins were so short.  I'm not the topic author, but I hadn't heard that. Thanks!

I'm almost surprised Snead's sole LPGA victory wasn't counted towards his total by some people.  

I never really doubted that Tiger was better than Snead (I didn't get into golf until mid-aughts, so it wasn't like I was there for the era when "will this guy be the next big thing?" was even a question).  I just assumed the standard for a win was the same -- none of this one round thing.

7 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Wow, @Vinsk ... I had no idea how many of Sam Snead's wins were so short.  I'm not the topic author, but I hadn't heard that. Thanks!

I'm almost surprised Snead's sole LPGA victory wasn't counted towards his total by some people.  

I never really doubted that Tiger was better than Snead (I didn't get into golf until mid-aughts, so it wasn't like I was there for the era when "will this guy be the next big thing?" was even a question).  I just assumed the standard for a win was the same -- none of this one round thing.

Yep. The ‘moving the goal posts’ stuff can get pretty annoying. The debate really stems from leisure sports fans against those who look at stats and real data. Kind of like Vegas vs AP or Coaches Poll in NCAA. There is no bias just facts. We don’t care how a person ‘feels’ about Snead, Nicklaus or Tiger. Nicklaus was my favorite for many years. Tiger came along and changed the game. I ‘felt’ Tiger was a more gifted and accomplished golfer but it wasn’t really until this site, largely due to @iacas @brocks and @turtleback that I was properly educated on the matter. And the same essentially applies for Tiger vs Snead. Yet never once has Tiger made a case for himself against Jack or Sam.