IGNORED

Good or Bad if Competitive Scores are Dropping?

Note: This thread is 1733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, KrisF said:

Like I said im not effing trolling, and yes I probably do need help

What are you trying to achieve?

Do you need confirmation that low scores are better than high scores?

That a series of scores gradually becoming lower probably indicate improvement?

Rather than being obnoxious, spell out what you are really wanting to find out. It's like your polls - what, specifically are you trying to establish?

Explain what you want to know and why, then perhaps people can assist you. Getting your back up is not the way to do it.

2 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

What are you trying to achieve?

Do you need confirmation that low scores are better than high scores?

That a series of scores gradually becoming lower probably indicate improvement?

Rather than being obnoxious, spell out what you are really wanting to find out. It's like your polls - what, specifically are you trying to establish?

Explain what you want to know and why, then perhaps people can assist you. Getting your back up is not the way to do it.

Okay, So does gradual improvement indicate future major improvement?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, KrisF said:

No. The past is not predictive.

And that’s not what you asked.

Again, you asked if decreasing scores could be a “bad sign.”

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, KrisF said:

No. But it's all that most people can hope for. The fact of the matter is that the majority of golfers reach their potential within a few years of starting. They don't progress, but they consolidate.

That is not to say that further improvement is not possible, but it has to be achieved with a serious plan. and most are not physically capable of getting beyond a certain point.

The majority of really good players - say those with handicaps in the plus range and pretty much every famous player, would have been a VERY low marker within a couple of years of beginning if they started at 13 and if they started at 6 they would have progressed really rapidly once they hit puberty and became stronger. It is not common for someone to play regularly all the way through their teens and then go from 13 to scratch in their early 20s. A person who is a 15 handicap at age 17 and started at age 13 will very likely be a mid-teen handicapper for their whole golfing life.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

No. The past is not predictive.

And that’s not what you asked.

Again, you asked if decreasing scores could be a “bad sign.”

1 minute ago, leftybutnotPM said:

No. But it's all that most people can hope for. The fact of the matter is that the majority of golfers reach their potential within a few years of starting. They don't progress, but they consolidate.

That is not to say that further impovement is not possible, but it has to be achieved with a serious plan. 

The majority of really good players - say those with handicaps in the plus range and pretty much every famous player, would have been a VERY low marker within a couple of years of beginning if they started at 13 and if they started at 6 they would have progressed really rapidly once they hit puberty and became stronger. It is not common for someone to play regularly all the way through their teens and then go from 13 to scratch in their early 20s. A person who is a 15 handicap at age 17 and started at age 13 will very likely be a mid-teen handicapper for their whole golfing life.

But could it be a Bad as well?

Just now, leftybutnotPM said:

Improvement is never bad. Why would it be?

But could one look at it and say I have no hope because of how slow its taking for them to decrease there score?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, KrisF said:

But could one look at it and say I have no hope because of how slow its taking for them to decrease there score?

You didn’t even give a time frame in the OP.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Go and look up Karl Vilips on Youtube and watch how he hits the ball. Ask yourself if you think you have the ability to hit the ball the way he does. Ask yourself if there are seriously any similarities between the way he drives the ball and the way you do. Then compare ages. Chances are that like most of us, you will never be as good as you would like to be, but golf is not easy. If it was we'd all be making millions.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

• Administrator

Start a topic about basic handicap stuff. This one is pointless.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Start a topic about basic handicap stuff. This one is pointless.

Just end it.

4 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Go and look up Karl Vilips on Youtube and watch how he hits the ball. Ask yourself if you think you have the ability to hit the ball the way he does. Ask yourself if there are seriously any similarities between the way he drives the ball and the way you do. Then compare ages. Chances are that like most of us, you will never be as good as you would like to be, but golf is not easy. If it was we'd all be making millions.

Thank you for your time.

3 hours ago, KrisF said:

Of course, but.......

There is not enough info to assess the situation. And when we ask to make things more clear you say ‘no, I don’t want to give the full picture’. Its pointless.

Assuming all other things being equal (same course, similar conditions, etc.) your scores trending down would indicate improvement. If you are scoring lower on easier courses, then that may not be the case. This is what a handicap does. I will post an example in your other thread about how handicaps work.

- Shane

12 hours ago, KrisF said:

If I'm reading this right, you're asking if it's bad that your scoring in tournaments isn't improving as much as you hoped it would, thus indicating you have "no hope" (in what, you didn't specify). That was what you meant by your original post?

Nobody understands you because you're vague, intentionally withholding information, or not very good at articulating your thoughts.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

53 minutes ago, billchao said:

If I'm reading this right, you're asking if it's bad that your scoring in tournaments isn't improving as much as you hoped it would, thus indicating you have "no hope" (in what, you didn't specify). That was what you meant by your original post?

Nobody understands you because you're vague, intentionally withholding information, or not very good at articulating your thoughts.

9 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Of course, but.......

There is not enough info to assess the situation. And when we ask to make things more clear you say ‘no, I don’t want to give the full picture’. Its pointless.

I will make sure I give the full picture next time and put more thought into my topics...

Your scores during your competitive rounds trending down may just be due to you become more comfortable playing competitive golf, that may not translate at all into your non competitive rounds. If you are looking to improve more quickly you can increase your practice time, get lessons, and play more competitive rounds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KrisF said:

I will make sure I give the full picture next time and put more thought into my topics...

Generally it's a good idea to be clear in what you're asking to avoid confusion and misunderstanding in communication.

You didn't answer my question so I still have no idea what you're talking about here.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Yes and Yes.

21 minutes ago, billchao said:

Generally it's a good idea to be clear in what you're asking to avoid confusion and misunderstanding in communication.

You didn't answer my question so I still have no idea what you're talking about here.

Note: This thread is 1733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!