IGNORED

Finn Cycle

Note: This thread is 1694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Would you ride a Finn Cycle?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ride a Finn Cycle?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, billchao said:

They sure look like a lot of fun, but if I may make a suggestion, perhaps a different choice of music? Maybe try this song:

😉

I love the choice. I grew up in the 70's and 80's, so I appreciate the AC/DC. I dont think the Finn Cycles go fast enough for Highway to Hell. They are more fun and carefree, and less thrilling and exciting. They almost make you want to sing "Tra-la-la..." while you ride them. 

IMO - if you like golf, you'll love golf on a Finn Cycle. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I rode one of these a couple weekends ago at Hawktree in Bismarck, ND and had a blast. Great course BTW. The brakes needed to be a bit more 'grabbier'. I really had to pull on both brake levers (front/rear) to stop. There isn't enough torque to spin the tires but it has a decent top speed (faster than a typical 2 person cart by far). The ranger was very adamant that the normal carts could only enter/exit the fairways thru the 'gates' that they had setup. But the scooter is light enough that I could drive anywhere within reason. 2 thumbs up! I usually walk 18 but would do pay for the scooter a couple times/year just for the fun factor. Only $3700 to own your own, according to their website! :-) 

53 minutes ago, Grass Destruction said:

Only $3700 to own your own, according to their website!

Too bad nobody would let you take it out on their course.

At that point I'd just get a motorcycle 🙂

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
4 hours ago, billchao said:

I bet some would. Especially some private clubs if you pay a trail fee. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 7/22/2019 at 9:47 PM, Vinsk said:

I’m wondering if a real ‘hilly’ course with morning dew might spell disaster?

I don't think so. We did everything we could to spin the tires, they are electrically controlled (Electric motor inside the rear wheel.) The electronics only let you accelerate fast enough not to let the tire slip. Similarly with braking. You can't make the thing skid. 

On 7/22/2019 at 9:48 PM, Patch said:

There was some talk about these scooter gizmos at my home course. Sun Mtn was offering them up as a better way to play ready golf, and speed up play. 

Last I heard the decision was still being made, but was not promising due to up front costs, and the extra liability the course owners would have to take on.

Personally I like the idea. 

I don't think this will be an issue in the long run. They cost about 1/3 the cost of a "normal" golf course. They weigh about 1/6 as much. 

On 7/26/2019 at 12:31 PM, tri-golf said:

this whole helmet thing got me curious especially considering all of those e-scooters popping up in big cities and no one wearing a helmet. i was told that helmet laws will not apply to these golf e-bikes because they are for off-road use only.

No helmets required for Finn Cycles on a golf course. You do have to sign a document saying you will not consume alcohol while using it, however. 

On 7/26/2019 at 12:47 PM, Vinsk said:

Don’t see it happening. Two golf carts on a hole just less a mess than 4 scooters making the course look like a Hell’s Angels convention.

I totally disagree. All the people I saw using them played much faster. Got to their ball quickly. Were as respectful as anyone else on the course. Did less damage to the course as you cannot make the tires skid. (It's an electric motor inside the wheel. the electronics prevent you from spinning the tire or skidding.) They weigh 1/6 as much as a traditional golf cart and carry 1/2 the weight of passengers and/or golf equipment. 

On 7/26/2019 at 3:25 PM, Talldog said:

I think it will vary by state.

It looks like some states require the vehicle to have pedals to be defined as a moped; others the engine size; others the top speed.

A few states mentioned exemptions for off-road use, others didn't. I'm assuming if there isn't an explicit exemption for off-road use, the law applies to off road use.

No helmets required for Finn Cycles.

19 hours ago, billchao said:

Because my neighbor and I are toying with getting these. We did some research. We called 10 local public golf courses and asked if we could bring our Finn Cycles to their course. Here's what they said:

3 courses had no idea what a Finn Cycle was and/or the person I talked to didn't have the authority to make the decision.

4 courses said "Yes, no problem. Just follow standard golf cart protocol."

1 course said "Absolutely and please post your experience on social media."

3 course said "Yes, as long as you let me take a drive on them before you tee off."

So, I think courses are pretty open to this new technology. After all, they should do LESS damage to courses. They only weigh 1/3 what a traditional cart weighs. Plus 1/2 the number of riders and golf bags.  

On 7/26/2019 at 1:06 PM, pganapathy said:

The other concern with any scooter/balance board type golf vehicle is the risk that somebody will fall and injure themselves.  It is possible, though a lot harder in a cart.

Overall, I have to say not a big fan of the bike option.  I walk and pull/push my bag.

They are extremely light weight. You can lift them up very easily. They are also designed not to skid, or spin out. They wheel motor is electronically controlled to prevent any tearing up of the grass. The back tire is the same as a golf cart tire. 

On 7/27/2019 at 10:03 AM, cooke119 said:

I always need the extra set of eyes in the cart with me to find my all, LOL.

That's a really good point and surprisingly the Finn Cycle actually helped us out in this case. If somebody lost a ball. We could all go hit our shots and then cruise back over to help the guy with the lost ball. It actually really sped up play way more than I thought it would. It allowed everyone to get to their ball really quickly then get to where ever else they wanted to be really quickly. 

Another advantage is that it eliminated that situation where you spend time helping your buddy find his ball and in doing so you totally forget where you ball went. 

Finn Cycles = Faster play.

I've played 2 rounds now with these on two different courses. 1 round with a twosome, 1 round with a foursome. I've made 2 more tee-times on courses that have them. I have to say it's a way better system, in my opinion. 

It's not for everyone. My dad is 74 years old and has never ridden a bike. So, obviously if you can't ride a bike you can't use these. But they are cheaper for a course to buy than new carts. (A pair of Finn Cycles is 2/3 the cost of a new cart.) They do less damage to the course. In a way, they prevent people from getting sloppy drunk on the course. (You have to sign a document promising not to consume alcohol while using one.)

I kind of see these a little like snowboarding. I remember back when people first started snowboarding and the skiers were like "BAN THESE PEOPLE FROM THE SLOPES!! THEY ARE RUINING EVERYTHING!! HAVE YOU SEEN THEIR HAIRCUTS!?!?! ARGH!!!!" 

So, at first ski slopes were like "Well, we don't want to lose our clientele, no snowboarders allowed." 

Then, a couple years later. "Seriously, more than half our revenue comes from snowboarders. …. SNOWBOARDERS WELOME!!  COME ON OVER AND BOARD AWAY." 

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

You do have to sign a document saying you will not consume alcohol while using it, however. 

I’m out.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Because my neighbor and I are toying with getting these. We did some research. We called 10 local public golf courses and asked if we could bring our Finn Cycles to their course. Here's what they said:

3 courses had no idea what a Finn Cycle was and/or the person I talked to didn't have the authority to make the decision.

4 courses said "Yes, no problem. Just follow standard golf cart protocol."

1 course said "Absolutely and please post your experience on social media."

3 course said "Yes, as long as you let me take a drive on them before you tee off."

Hmm ok that's promising.

Of course by the time I'm through getting a Finn Cycle and a pickup to haul it around with I'd probably still be better off with a motorcycle 😅

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

so, i finally got around to renting a Finn a couple of weeks. it was so fun. i also found it easier to find my ball because i could drive directly to it before i forgot which post or mound or ... i lined it up with. AND, i shot my first ever hole-in-one during the round. coincidence? me and the dad on Fried Eggs Golf 

carding first ever hole-in-one on first ever round on Finn. i am seeing a pattern here!!

• Like 1

‘First group...please make your way to the tee box’

A11F75C6-0398-4F13-AF77-4D3E4A8FDC91.gif.11748dc6d5680dd2c3a071b375cdfd71.gif

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, tri-golf said:

so, i finally got around to renting a Finn a couple of weeks. it was so fun. i also found it easier to find my ball because i could drive directly to it before i forgot which post or mound or ... i lined it up with. AND, i shot my first ever hole-in-one during the round. coincidence? me and the dad on Fried Eggs Golf 

carding first ever hole-in-one on first ever round on Finn. i am seeing a pattern here!!

Congrats on the hole-in-one.   The pond dive was pretty cool.   You guys made riding the Finn Cycle look exciting.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, tri-golf said:

Congratulations on the ACE!!!!

You can claim a reward for it and get a little dumahugie for the bottom of your posts. 

Note: This thread is 1694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!