IGNORED

2019 FedExCup Playoffs

iacas
Note: This thread is 1677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Golf isn’t other sports. And other sports do carry over in the form of byes and home field, etc.

That’s why a series of 72 hole tournaments for playoffs will never generate the level of interest unless Tiger is playing.  It is no different than any other weekend.  Brooks does have a point in being bored and losing interest throughout a round.

I realize a 1 vs 64. 2 vs 63, etc over 36 holes, and then 32, 16... will probably never fly, but at least there would be more excitement than which of the top 5 guys will win... at least for me.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I predict that on monday a player will said that he shot the best score at the Tour Championship 2019 but he didn't win either the tournament or the FedEx Cup because of the handicap applied and that aint fair.

56 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

I predict that on monday a player will said that he shot the best score at the Tour Championship 2019 but he didn't win either the tournament or the FedEx Cup because of the handicap applied and that aint fair.

He won't have to.....I'm sure it'll be part of the coverage.  Patrick and Justin get to claim a tournament and money - those two tourneys are supposedly part of the Cup.

Bill - 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, 70sSanO said:

I realize a 1 vs 64. 2 vs 63, etc over 36 holes, and then 32, 16... will probably never fly, but at least there would be more excitement than which of the top 5 guys will win... at least for me.

Match play sucks. And anyone can win this week. Not just the top five.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

Match play sucks. And anyone can win this week. Not just the top five.

Doesn’t have to be traditional match play, although it would be a series of matches with individual pairs involved.  Scoring over 36 holes could be any format.

While I sure suggesting a modified stableford for 36 hole playoffs would be ridiculed, it would give big time risk-reward possibilities.

It really is not that important to me.  I’ll probably watch some of the FedEx Cup final, mostly to see if Koepka can flip the switch when it counts.  To be honest, I watched more last year than the previous 5 or so.  Then again, therein lies the problem with any playoff format that needs a golfer named Woods to generate interest.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

I'm in a golf pool where you can only pick a player once during the year.  Out of the 30 players in the tournament, I haven't picked these guys during the year.  Reed starts out the best, so I'm leaning towards him.  Although Adam Scott, Gary Woodland or Webb Simpson, might also be a play.  Although Woodland hasn't been playing well recently and Adam and Webb haven't won this year.

Thoughts?

Start
Abraham Ancer 4 under
Adam Scott 3 under
Bryson DeChambeau Even
Chez Reavie 1 under
Corey Conners 1 under
Gary Woodland 3 under
Jason Kokrak Even
Kevin Kisner 2 under
Lucas Glover Even
Marc Leishman 1 under
Patrick Reed 6 under
Webb Simpson 4 under

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

50 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I'm in a golf pool where you can only pick a player once during the year.  Out of the 30 players in the tournament, I haven't picked these guys during the year.  Reed starts out the best, so I'm leaning towards him.  Although Adam Scott, Gary Woodland or Webb Simpson, might also be a play.  Although Woodland hasn't been playing well recently and Adam and Webb haven't won this year.

Thoughts?

Start
Abraham Ancer 4 under
Adam Scott 3 under
Bryson DeChambeau Even
Chez Reavie 1 under
Corey Conners 1 under
Gary Woodland 3 under
Jason Kokrak Even
Kevin Kisner 2 under
Lucas Glover Even
Marc Leishman 1 under
Patrick Reed 6 under
Webb Simpson 4 under

Assuming you're scoring with the net format, I would think Webb or Adam Scott is your best choice. Webb's last 4 tournaments he's finished 2, 2, T18, T24. He's had a super consistent year. Adam Scott is highest in SG: T2G and Total SG. He's also finishing well with 2 top 10s in last events.

Patrick Reed hasn't been as consistent as either of those two. 2/3 strokes is nothing over the course of 4 rounds.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I like Cantlay to win this.  He’s come through a lot of adversity and has had a great year; and been pretty consistent.  Five of his last 10 starts are in the top 10.  I think he has the tools, both physically and now mentally, to really compete at East Lake.

John

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Assuming you're scoring with the net format, I would think Webb or Adam Scott is your best choice. Webb's last 4 tournaments he's finished 2, 2, T18, T24. He's had a super consistent year. Adam Scott is highest in SG: T2G and Total SG. He's also finishing well with 2 top 10s in last events.

Patrick Reed hasn't been as consistent as either of those two. 2/3 strokes is nothing over the course of 4 rounds.

It’s all money based as far as I know, so I have to pick the winner in order to move up.   

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

1 hour ago, 70sSanO said:

I like Cantlay to win this.  He’s come through a lot of adversity and has had a great year; and been pretty consistent.  Five of his last 10 starts are in the top 10.  I think he has the tools, both physically and now mentally, to really compete at East Lake.

John

Slow, slow player. I think he’s just having his ‘15 minutes.’ I don’t see him being one of the ‘big names.’ 😀

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I know some may disagree (this is the internet after all), but I like this format. It gives players who didn't win majors and even tournaments a chance to win. I think some folks are seeing this like the finals in other sports, which is only partially true. Most sports other than tennis don't have major championships in the middle of the season, golf does.

The FedEx Cup uses a big purse to generate interest, but no player would rather win this than a major. How they tweak the format is really irrelevant. Tiger would certainly trade last years win for a major.

And I know Tiger being there would have drawn more interest. That is a given. Imagine Woodstock if The Beatles and The Stones had shown up!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

As I think about it more, the only thing that gives me pause about the new format is that there's going to be a winner, and a lowest aggregate score fake winner. That will be obscured away and probably never mentioned on the telecast, but if it's a big name and they could have won handily, maybe it would be weird?

That said, that's basically what has happened most years with the FedExCup winner and the Tour Championship winner, and no one really cared aside from it being somewhat weird. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

It's crazy that a player who has had a mediocre year, yet one good tournament can be leading a season long race for the FedEx Cup. I don't see how this format can have longevity as it just seems to be confusing and unfair to players who have been consistent and also won bigger titles. eg. Shane Lowry and Tiger Woods don't even make the field.

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, eaglesandbirdies123 said:

It's crazy that a player who has had a mediocre year, yet one good tournament can be leading a season long race for the FedEx Cup. I don't see how this format can have longevity as it just seems to be confusing and unfair to players who have been consistent and also won bigger titles. eg. Shane Lowry and Tiger Woods don't even make the field.

By definition you can’t really have a mediocre year and be in the top 30.

And to all those who keep saying this format is confusing I have no idea what you’re talking about as this format is far less confusing than any previous year. The leaderboard is the leaderboard.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, jamo said:

As I think about it more, the only thing that gives me pause about the new format is that there's going to be a winner, and a lowest aggregate score fake winner. That will be obscured away and probably never mentioned on the telecast, but if it's a big name and they could have won handily, maybe it would be weird?

That said, that's basically what has happened most years with the FedExCup winner and the Tour Championship winner, and no one really cared aside from it being somewhat weird. 

I personally think they should have a separate prize for the lowest 72-hole aggregate score but continue to use the new format. You can crown the Fed Ex champion and then give a trophy to the player with the lowest 72-hole score. To me, that would make more people happy with the new format.

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Tiger would certainly trade last years win for a major.

Tiger won the Tour Championship, but it was Justin Rose who took home the FedEx Cup and the big money.

I agree with the gist of your post, though. I'm sure most players would rather win a major than the FedEx Cup, if given the choice.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, iacas said:

By definition you can’t really have a mediocre year and be in the top 30.

And to all those who keep saying this format is confusing I have no idea what you’re talking about as this format is far less confusing than any previous year. The leaderboard is the leaderboard.

This is so true.

It was the same format as 4x points used at the NT and BMW.  Had Rose not finished with a solo second at East Lake, Tiger would have won the FedEx Cup also.  Or if DeChambeau had finished 2nd and Rose 3rd.

Of course, it is “obvious” that if Finau had won at East Lake and Rose faltered, Tiger could have finished outside the Top 5, or 10 in FedEx points.  Only thing missing is Vanna White.

John

Edit Added:  Actually I think DeChambeau may have won the FedEx Cup if he finished 2nd; not sure about a tie for second.  Rose wouldn’t have won anything.

Edited by 70sSanO

Note: This thread is 1677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!