IGNORED

2019 FedExCup Playoffs

iacas
Note: This thread is 1699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger is in the fairway at his last hole of the day, 183 yards from the pin after his tee shot.  If he can get down in four or fewer strokes, he earns his "no sixes" badge for the day, a minor consolation for him at best. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Aaaand Tiger's listed as WD on the PGA Tour leaderboard.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

18 minutes ago, Zeph said:

Aaaand Tiger's listed as WD on the PGA Tour leaderboard.

Yeah just saw that.  Appaerently an 'oblique strain' (translation : not good enough). He'll still be eligible for the BMW but I really hope we dont see him in the Tour Championship.  It's now all a bit sad. Like a lame horse racing bringing up the rear.

Edited by Jay28

Just a rant and I don’t really care if I’m wrong or not. I know he played poorly. But I also feel Tiger needs to realize his win was great at The Masters but it allows for a strategy that just doesn’t work on about every other tournament. Pars are nothing anymore. Steady, conservative play is gone. Guys are going out firing 7-10 under after day one. You can’t just plug along and expect these young guns to choke. Go big or go home.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 7/25/2019 at 8:45 AM, ChrisP said:

I do hate that the Tour champion and Fed Ex champ are always different.

why - they were two different things?  they should be two separate wins

the current format is idiotic, but, it is what it is......

Do the previous two weekends of the Fedex cup also follow the idiotic handicap format?  if so, then I'm less opposed with the stupidity of it.  But if each of those has a winner for the individual events, then it's just plain moronic to not do the same for the third event of the series too.  Instead of a handicap, if they wanted Fedex to be single thing instead of 3 things, then it just should have had the best score of the 12 rounds.....period....with no individual event winners at all until the end.

and we all know they will track who did the best in the last series anyway -

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

35 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Just a rant and I don’t really care if I’m wrong or not. I know he played poorly. But I also feel Tiger needs to realize his win was great at The Masters but it allows for a strategy that just doesn’t work on about every other tournament. Pars are nothing anymore. Steady, conservative play is gone. Guys are going out firing 7-10 under after day one. You can’t just plug along and expect these young guns to choke. Go big or go home.

But, at courses like Augusta National, he'll still do well.

If his game is not good enough to compete with the top players today on most courses, I do understand him picking and choosing.  He's no longer playing for money or ranking, just majors.  It seems like physically that is all he can do, so "going big" might end his career. Although I do wonder whether there is a mental aspect here too, with the sore back being used as an excuse when he doesn't play well. 

Edited by Jay28

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

What makes you think he doesn't know this? When he's playing well, Tiger can make more birdies than most of them out there.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Zeph said:

What makes you think he doesn't know this? When he's playing well, Tiger can make more birdies than most of them out there.

He's never really played the "birdies everywhere" type tournaments, and when he does, usually didn't fare all that well. He's built to make a lot of pars.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, rehmwa said:

why - they were two different things?  they should be two separate wins

the current format is idiotic, but, it is what it is......

Do the previous two weekends of the Fedex cup also follow the idiotic handicap format?  if so, then I'm less opposed with the stupidity of it.  But if each of those has a winner for the individual events, then it's just plain moronic to not do the same for the third event of the series too.  Instead of a handicap, if they wanted Fedex to be single thing instead of 3 things, then it just should have had the best score of the 12 rounds.....period....with no individual event winners at all until the end.

and we all know they will track who did the best in the last series anyway -

It doesn’t matter to me either way how they do it, I just think the last event is about the Fed Ex champ, not the Tour champ. I get what they’re trying to do and so we’ll see how it plays out. I’m willing to give it a 1-year trial. I still would like to see them do a prize for lowest score of the week to give those in 30th place something to play for.

edit: Wow, did anyone see Grillo give the middle finger at the ball when he missed? What a jerk. That’s something Sergio would do. Lost all respect for him.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rory's incorrectly assessed penalty rescinded.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rob Tyska

7 hours ago, ChrisP said:

edit: Wow, did anyone see Grillo give the middle finger at the ball when he missed? What a jerk. That’s something Sergio would do. Lost all respect for him.

I saw it and thought it was childishly disgusting. I hope they assess a healthy fine on him.

10 hours ago, iacas said:

He's never really played the "birdies everywhere" type tournaments, and when he does, usually didn't fare all that well. He's built to make a lot of pars.

I don't know what it means to be built to make a lot of pars, but yeah, him not playing the typical birdie fests is of course true. He plays courses which usually doesn't see that low scores. In his better years, he was very high, if not leading the tour in birdies.

That doesn't mean he can't shoot something low. He shot -14 at the PGA and -17 at the BMW last year. If he had played the John Deere or Wyndham and had a good week, I don't see why he shouldn't be shooting 15-20 under. 

He didn't get to +4 because he wasn't trying to make birdies, but playing conservatively for par. He just didn't play any better.

Edited by Zeph

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Zippo said:

I saw it and thought it was childishly disgusting. I hope they assess a healthy fine on him.

His mirth afterward was equally yucky.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 hours ago, ChrisP said:

It doesn’t matter to me either way how they do it, I just think the last event is about the Fed Ex champ, not the Tour champ. I get what they’re trying to do and so we’ll see how it plays out. I’m willing to give it a 1-year trial. I still would like to see them do a prize for lowest score of the week to give those in 30th place something to play for.

I think it will be interesting, but it could also make the event very boring. If Brooks (since he likely gets the -10 handicap) were to go out an play and the 2nd and 3rd place guys struggles, then you could have a guy with a 6-8 shot lead going into Sunday. And IMO that would take much of the excitement out of the weekend.
But let's see how it plays out.

Players play, tough players win!

to be consistent - Patrick "won" nothing this week then.  he's just got the best temporary position going into the second event of the series.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 1699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!