IGNORED

Former Pros Getting Reinstated as Amateurs

iacas
Note: This thread is 1655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No going back imo. Once you go pro you cannot regain am status. Keep the rules simple and straightforward. The decision to go pro is a big one and shouldn't be taken lightly. Same as other sports, once they go making money in their sport they are no longer amateur and cannot return to college for example, even if eligibility remains. 

• Thumbs Up 1

- Mark

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Braivo said:

No going back imo. Once you go pro you cannot regain am status.

@mvmac would like to have a word. 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Did anyone else see the commercial yesterday or Sunday saying that whatever they were advertising was "as unfair as having Jerome Bettis on your flag football team" and think of Jeff Quinney regaining his amateur status?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

11 hours ago, iacas said:

@mvmac would like to have a word. 😄

lol but I do think @Braivo is referring to playing pros and not instructors. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

If they have taken up another profession and are working full time at it, sure. If I didn’t have to work 40+ hours a week with a 40 mile commute each way, I would be a much better golfer. 

- Shane

24 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

If they have taken up another profession and are working full time at it, sure. If I didn’t have to work 40+ hours a week with a 40 mile commute each way, I would be a much better golfer. 

That’s something that’s so difficult and frustrating about golf; putting in the time doesn’t guarantee anything. Golf is one of the few hours if not only sports where unless you practice correctly you will see no improvement. If you spend 4 hours/day shooting free throws, you’ll be a better free throw shooter. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
8 hours ago, mvmac said:

lol but I do think @Braivo is referring to playing pros and not instructors. 

Probably, but he didn't say it, and the topic applies to a wide range of people: golf professionals and professional golfers.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, Shindig said:

Did anyone else see the commercial yesterday or Sunday saying that whatever they were advertising was "as unfair as having Jerome Bettis on your flag football team" and think of Jeff Quinney regaining his amateur status?

I would fire their advertising agency, having Jerome Bettis on your flag football team doesn't give you an advantage.  He was a great RB, but flag football is about speed and agility, I don't think a defense would have any problem grabbing those flags.

Gus
---------------

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, JGus said:

I would fire their advertising agency, having Jerome Bettis on your flag football team doesn't give you an advantage.  He was a great RB, but flag football is about speed and agility, I don't think a defense would have any problem grabbing those flags.

You clearly didn’t watch him play much.

He was surprisingly agile and shifty. Flexible. Fast.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

You clearly didn’t watch him play much.

He was surprisingly agile and shifty. Flexible. Fast.

I didn't assume they were talking about his playing days, I just assumed they were talking about now, if they are talking about while he was playing than any good RB could be substituted in.  And understand your point(s), but still, flag football is a lot different than full contact. 

I'll get back to the topic...

Gus
---------------

If a player was ever a member of the Tour (or foreign equivalent), no reinstatement.  Once one achieves that level, there is no going back.

A former member of the Korn-Ferry/Nike/Nationwide/Dot.Com (or foreign equivalent), 5 year wait, minimum.  Depending on how long they played mini-tours, the wait might be quite a bit longer.  I like the idea of the waiting period being dependent on the # of years pursuing a career in competitive golf.

All other professional golfers or golf professionals would wait a minimum of 1 year with a longer waiting period possible depending on their professional résumé.

Brian Kuehn

Note: This thread is 1655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!