iacas

Former Pros Getting Reinstated as Amateurs

46 posts / 3553 viewsLast Reply

No going back imo. Once you go pro you cannot regain am status. Keep the rules simple and straightforward. The decision to go pro is a big one and shouldn't be taken lightly. Same as other sports, once they go making money in their sport they are no longer amateur and cannot return to college for example, even if eligibility remains. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Did anyone else see the commercial yesterday or Sunday saying that whatever they were advertising was "as unfair as having Jerome Bettis on your flag football team" and think of Jeff Quinney regaining his amateur status?

24 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

If they have taken up another profession and are working full time at it, sure. If I didn’t have to work 40+ hours a week with a 40 mile commute each way, I would be a much better golfer. 

That’s something that’s so difficult and frustrating about golf; putting in the time doesn’t guarantee anything. Golf is one of the few hours if not only sports where unless you practice correctly you will see no improvement. If you spend 4 hours/day shooting free throws, you’ll be a better free throw shooter. 

8 hours ago, mvmac said:

lol but I do think @Braivo is referring to playing pros and not instructors. 

Probably, but he didn't say it, and the topic applies to a wide range of people: golf professionals and professional golfers.

10 hours ago, Shindig said:

Did anyone else see the commercial yesterday or Sunday saying that whatever they were advertising was "as unfair as having Jerome Bettis on your flag football team" and think of Jeff Quinney regaining his amateur status?

I would fire their advertising agency, having Jerome Bettis on your flag football team doesn't give you an advantage.  He was a great RB, but flag football is about speed and agility, I don't think a defense would have any problem grabbing those flags.

6 minutes ago, JGus said:

I would fire their advertising agency, having Jerome Bettis on your flag football team doesn't give you an advantage.  He was a great RB, but flag football is about speed and agility, I don't think a defense would have any problem grabbing those flags.

You clearly didn’t watch him play much.

He was surprisingly agile and shifty. Flexible. Fast.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

You clearly didn’t watch him play much.

He was surprisingly agile and shifty. Flexible. Fast.

I didn't assume they were talking about his playing days, I just assumed they were talking about now, if they are talking about while he was playing than any good RB could be substituted in.  And understand your point(s), but still, flag football is a lot different than full contact. 

I'll get back to the topic...