IGNORED

2019 Newport Cup Applications Accepted Here

iacas
Note: This thread is 1679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Costs of ~$800 plus flights isn't in the cards for us this year, as much as I would love to participate with you guys in this.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As bad as I hate to write this post, I have to. I am going to have to pull my name from the application process. We have been having an issue with our pool and it now looks like we are going to have to tear up and replace our entire concrete pad. The quote came back this weekend and it was 9k. I have played with some numbers all weekend to see if I could still make it happen and I just can't. The concrete work is just going to hit our nest egg too much. I will continue working on my game obviously and come in even stronger at the next one. Sorry guys..

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I too am unable to attend. All kinds of crap going on the past couple months. Trying to handle business matters in two different states but the real problem has been getting back to work (school) and coaching the golf team that doesn't exist. I coach a team at a school with 1800 students and don't have any boys on the golf team and one girl. Unfortunately I have had to put everything on hold for the past three weeks while waiting to see if I was going to have any golfers. Now I don't have a team to coach and have wasted a bunch of time screwing around with it. Whoever says to me that the game is growing....has  not been to the Tampa Fl area. I know this isn't the forum for this but I can't believe how small the golf team numbers have decreased in the past five years. Even the teams that are good every year have much smaller numbers.  

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• Administrator

@mvmac and I have made the decision to delay this for a year, possibly two (so it remains off-year with the Ryder Cup).

Thank you for those who applied. I feel for you having taken the time to make the videos; they were entertaining to watch, though. This topic will be unpinned, but remain open, as will the other. Though I may just merge them at some point…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas unfeatured and unpinned this topic

I got another year or two to sandbag 😛

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

I feel for you having taken the time to make the videos; they were entertaining to watch, though.

Can I roll over the application 😛

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'm sorry for this bit of news, I can only guess how much work you two have both put in to make this a possibility.  From a completely selfish standpoint, I don't think I'll have any nieces getting married next fall, so I hope to be able to put my hat in the ring for the East team when the time comes.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

(edited)

I hate that the event did not play out. But I, like @DaveP043 stated, from a completely selfish standpoint think I will be fully available for next year or the year after. I am actually setting aside the money WELL in advance so any issues that pop up like I had this year, will have no bearing on me applying.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

2 hours ago, iacas said:

@mvmac and I have made the decision to delay this for a year, possibly two (so it remains off-year with the Ryder Cup).

Well that's disappointing to hear. On the bright side I'll have more time to work on getting better.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

22 minutes ago, billchao said:

Well that's disappointing to hear. On the bright side I'll have more time to work on getting better.

Me too!

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Me too!

Me three!

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

8 hours ago, iacas said:

As I sit here at Talamore Resort,  the home of the 2017 NC, that stinks.

Maybe next year or 2021.

• Like 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

54 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

As I sit here at Talamore Resort,  the home of the 2017 NC, that stinks.

6 hours ago, billchao said:

Well that's disappointing to hear. 

Yeah. Have been playing decent golf too. Never played in Vegas before. Would have been nice.

6 hours ago, billchao said:

On the bright side I'll have more time to work on getting better.

🍺🍺🍺

Vishal S.

Selfishly, I'm glad this is being delayed, because I wasn't going to be able to make the dates this year. But I feel bad for those who could make it. We'll just have to make it bigger and better next year (or two years from now).

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

18 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Selfishly, I'm glad this is being delayed, because I wasn't going to be able to make the dates this year. But I feel bad for those who could make it. We'll just have to make it bigger and better next year (or two years from now).

I always enjoy reading about these events when they happen.  But I also couldn't make it and was eligible, to some extent (once they raised the max handicap).  Now I have yet another motivation to keep up my game and try to improve:  to qualify for the Newport Cup when it happens next.  

But I do feel bad for everyone who could have made it.  These events seem like such fun.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!