IGNORED

Ian Poulter Has Fan Ejected for Yelling "Get in the Bunker!"

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 1698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

IMHO whether you like Poulter or not is irrelevant.  The question should be do we allow this type of behavior from fans.  I think not.

No matter who the player, we should not have fans doing this kind of stuff.  After all, for better or worse, these guys are working to make a living, albeit a very luxurious one.

No one deserves that kind treatment when working in their own trade.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Yukari said:

IMHO whether you like Poulter or not is irrelevant.  The question should be do we allow this type of behavior from fans.  I think not.

No matter who the player, we should not have fans doing this kind of stuff.  After all, for better or worse, these guys are working to make a living, albeit a very luxurious one.

Just my 2 cents

They are drunk.  They rarely ever play golf.  They don't get it.

4 hours ago, Yukari said:

Just my 2 cents

Oh, poor little millionaire gets his feelings hurt cause someone yells for his ball to go into the bunker.  

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, rob0225 said:

Oh, poor little millionaire gets his feelings hurt cause someone yells for his ball to go into the bunker.  

It's low-grade behavior that really has no place at a PGA Tour event.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think Poulter is wrong here.

I don't have sympathy for golfers who can't take a bit of heckling.  It seems to me that Poulter, who is actually a player I really like, gives it large during Ryder Cups.  He can't really expect that his firey behaviour during the Ryder Cup every 2 years is not going to generate some dislike amongst American fans.

Unless someone is shouting during a swing or pre shot routine they should not be ejected.

Basically, grow up Poults.

13 hours ago, rob0225 said:

I think you are missing the point.  You are focusing on the player.

It's not the player we need to focus on but rather the behavior of fans.

• Upvote 2

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

10 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I think you are missing the point.  You are focusing on the player.

It's not the player we need to focus on but rather the behavior of fans.

Is there a rule as a spectator that you can't shout when a player is not in mid swing or in the pre shot routine?

Should all the fans who applaud when a player misses a shot be ejected?

How far do you want to take it?   Doing stupid things like ejecting fans like this would lead to hundreds, maybe thousdands ejected at Ryder Cups.  Doesn't seem smart. Players shoudl realise that without the fans, they are just like any other weekend golfer and would need to go and get a job Monday to friday.

Edited by Jay28

Just now, Jay28 said:

Is there a rule as a spectator that you can't shout when a player is not in mid swing or in the pre shot routine?

Should all the fans who applaud when a player misses a shot be ejected?

How far do you want to take it?   Doing stupid things like ejecting fans like this would lead to hundreds, maybe thousdands ejected at Ryder Cups.  Doesn't seem smart. 

I think the Ryder Cup is different as it’s a team vs team event. PGA Tournaments are just pros out there trying to do their best.  ‘Heckling’ an individual player during a money event just takes a more negative spin than rooting for one’s team.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Jay28 said:

Yes.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, Jay28 said:

After a player has struck the ball and it's in the air or rolling to the hole?

It’s not so much when but what. Obviously during a swing or pre shot yes. It’s just unnecessary and ignorant to heckle a player on the course. 

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Jay28 said:

After a player has struck the ball and it's in the air or rolling to the hole?

Yes.

There's a code of conduct and rules and things written on the ticket.

Golf isn't other sports, we don't need fans yelling "you suck" or "your mama was great last night" or "get in the water" or anything like that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jay28 said:

How far do you want to take it?   Doing stupid things like ejecting fans like this would lead to hundreds, maybe thousdands ejected at Ryder Cups.  Doesn't seem smart. Players shoudl realise that without the fans, they are just like any other weekend golfer and would need to go and get a job Monday to friday.

Substitute the names "Mr Nicklaus" or your favourite American player for Poulter's and see how your opinion changes. It has nothing to do with Poulter. It's about dickhead fans who think the game is about them. And it's not about fans, it's about morionic frat boy type fans. I promise you that when morons stop yelling out "meat and potatoes" or "Get in the water!", the game will survive and the pros will not need a different job.

Edited by leftybutnotPM
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

What you may find on the ticket:

Spectators will be subject to expulsion and the loss of ticket privileges for the following breaches of etiquette:

· Making rude, vulgar or other inappropriate comments or gestures;
· Verbal or physical harassment of players, volunteers, officials or spectators;
· Distracting a player or any disruption of play;
· Behavior that is unruly, disruptive, unsafe or illegal in nature;
· Failing to follow the instruction of a championship official, volunteer or security personnel.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Sorry, I guess I am a bit old fashioned.  Golf does not need to put up with rude behavior from either crowd or golfer.  Boot the fan but allow the crowd Marshall to deal with it rather than the golfer make a big show and demand.

I guess the old fashioned attitude of curtesy in golf is fully on the way out.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

21 hours ago, rob0225 said:

That has nothing to do with it. 

21 hours ago, iacas said:

I agree. I don’t pay money to go to a PGA Tour event to listen to idiots like that.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

23 hours ago, iacas said:

The issue I have is why go straight to ejection?  How about a warning first?

If the PGA is going to eject viewers for this type of behavior than they need to enforce the rule equally at every PGA event.  Look at the fan behavior at the WM Phoenix Open, but they accept it there because it's "part of the tournament".   

Note: This thread is 1698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!