Jump to content
Ballgame59

How Often Do You Change Balls? How Do You Test Golf Balls?

21 posts / 1031 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

As some may remember, I not new to the sport however I AM new to taking it serious and actually improving my game. I found some forgiving clubs and have had a few lessons. I read that Bridgestone e12 soft were more for my game - swing speed under 100mph and trying to reduce slices. The lessons have helped the slice and quite a few other things. I've played 14 rounds with the e12s.

I guess my questions are:

A) What makes you change balls?

B) How many rounds do you play in order to test a ball? A certain amount of boxes? 

C) And are the e12's much better than the e6's ?

I've read all of the threads about what balls everyone plays. Is it just as simple as playing a box of balls? Is there anything else that I should be doing to test balls? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

By change balls I assume you mean change make or model?  I find something I like and keep using them as long as they are available.  Right now I'm using the Precept Laddie Extreme.  They are 20 bucks for 2 dozen.  If they stop making them I'll find something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve only played 2 different balls in the last 20 years.  The only reason I switched was that I found that with my slowing swing speed I could gain a bit of distance off the tee and still retain the feel I like around the green by switching from the ProV1 that I had played forever to a Bridgestone

I played one round with it, liked it, and switched.

Edited by David in FL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll hit random other balls out there, but I tried out Vice golf balls and they worked for my game and I'm sticking with them.  Every so often if I find a different ball on the course I'll hit it around a bit but if I don't see a noticeable difference I'll stick with what I have as it's cheaper for similar performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, Piz said:

 

That's one problem that I have. I too will hit randoms that I find. A lot of times, I will like them - lose them, then wonder if I should by a couple dozen and try them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t like to tinker with balls too much as I feel my short game severely relies on consistency. I’ve tried swapping between the ProV1 and ProV1x a few times and always come back to the X. If I’m not in a tournament I play the cheaper counterpart of the AVX to save money. If I’m playing how I should I maybe lose a ball a round and I’d likely switch because a ball gets too worn before I switch for another reason. Though, I have had a few stretches in the past year where I really start to hook the ball and lose balls like crazy. If that happens I’ll play whatever I can find on the course and/or some of the various range balls I keep in my bag just in case. I wish I were truly good enough to not worry about losing a ton of balls, but I’m human.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have changed brand/model balls maybe 4 times in my golf journey. Iirc. Everytime it was because they quit making the ball I using, or it became hard to get. 

To this day, the best ball I ever hit was either a topflite, or titleist ( I forget which) that had a model name "POWER"  stamped on it. That was back in the 80s/90s

As for testing a new ball, I will only test for carry distances off a full swing, using a driver, 7w, and 8i. If I don't see any appreciable extra distance, I stay with what have been using. 

I have been using the same brand ball (different models) now for many, many years. Tried a lot of new ones, that didn't deliver more than what I already have. 

Now if the OP is talking about balls in everyday play, I normally change balls after evey round. Two exceptions being if the ball becomes damaged, or if I broke 80 with it. 

Edited by Patch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To be more clear - I do mean make and/or model ball. Since I am fairly new, I have no preference to what brand. Just whatever I can hit straight.

I have used a few e6's over the last two weeks and they play the same (for me) as the e12's. Obviously the e6's a cheaper so I was thinking about buying a couple dozen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ballgame59 said:

To be more clear - I do mean make and/or model ball. Since I am fairly new, I have no preference to what brand. Just whatever I can hit straight.

I have used a few e6's over the last two weeks and they play the same (for me) as the e12's. Obviously the e6's a cheaper so I was thinking about buying a couple dozen. 

I don’t mean this in an ass-like way but being new to the game, what ball you use Isn’t really high on the priority list. Except for the extremes in ball types it’s more ‘Bryson DeChambeau’ tinkering-fun than anything else. Like using more aerodynamic decals on a pinewood derby car will really increase the speed...ok..yeah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Ballgame59 said:

To be more clear - I do mean make and/or model ball. Since I am fairly new, I have no preference to what brand. Just whatever I can hit straight.

I have used a few e6's over the last two weeks and they play the same (for me) as the e12's. Obviously the e6's a cheaper so I was thinking about buying a couple dozen. 

Nothing wrong with the e6 ball. Good distance, and good around, and on the greens.  I used them up until I was forced to buy e7s, when I couldn't find the e6s. I hsve stayed with the e7s for the most part. 

I don't know anything about that e12 critter. I suppose that ome day I will it a try out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I hit it out of bound? Hehe

Seriously people here just loves the ProV1 so you could buy a dozen lost but shiny Pro V1 for a bargain here. 

If I have time I often looking for good Taylormade TP5 with half the price because it is not popular. 

And sometimes when the mood is right I order two dozens Snell ball when I go to Japan for business and use it sparingly. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I test a ball out on the practice green to get a feel for putting and chipping with it and put it into play for a few rounds before I decide.

As for the E12 being better than the E6s, I dont think theres a huge difference.  Ive played both and they are pretty comparable.  If you are going to split hairs, you could say that E12 performs and feels a bit better because its a 3-piece, whereas the E6 is a 2-piece but even then, its not a huge difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I don’t mean this in an ass-like way but being new to the game, what ball you use Isn’t really high on the priority list. Except for the extremes in ball types it’s more ‘Bryson DeChambeau’ tinkering-fun than anything else. Like using more aerodynamic decals on a pinewood derby car will really increase the speed...ok..yeah. 

Oh I don't think that's ass-like at all. Sounds like you may even be tipping me off to concentrate on the basics - and I welcome that. I think I'm on the right path with taking lessons, clinics and just having a complete re-set before hitting the links.  The ball is only piece of equipment you use on every stroke so I want to make sure that I am not ignoring it.

 

I was also just curious as to how people test balls. Starting out, I read that the e12 soft were more  concussive for slower than 100mph swing speeds. That's why I began with them. At what point should I change, If any? I inquire about the e6's because I can buy used/near mint for less money - while I learn the basics. I mean, is it as simple as use a cheaper ball until I am happy/satisfied with my game play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Ballgame59 said:

Oh I don't think that's ass-like at all. Sounds like you may even be tipping me off to concentrate on the basics - and I welcome that. I think I'm on the right path with taking lessons, clinics and just having a complete re-set before hitting the links.  The ball is only piece of equipment you use on every stroke so I want to make sure that I am not ignoring it.

 

I was also just curious as to how people test balls. Starting out, I read that the e12 soft were more  concussive for slower than 100mph swing speeds. That's why I began with them. At what point should I change, If any? I inquire about the e6's because I can buy used/near mint for less money - while I learn the basics. I mean, is it as simple as use a cheaper ball until I am happy/satisfied with my game play?

I just think it’s more beneficial to save money if you can than to worry that your ball isn’t optimal. Really good golfers can see some difference but it’s only significant among the extremes...like a Pinnacle distance and a 4 piece soft ball. It’s just fun/entertainment imo. Like Phil saying it would take a month to get used to a different ball....hogwash. I don’t think the charts showing ball performance showed any amazing differences between elite golf balls. It’s fun to say ‘oh I really like that ball...it performs better for me.’ No it doesn’t. You’re more likely hitting the ball better that day. If you switched balls unknowingly mid round you’d notice nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, Zengolfer said:

I test a ball out on the practice green to get a feel for putting and chipping with it and put it into play for a few rounds before I decide.

As for the E12 being better than the E6s, I dont think theres a huge difference.  Ive played both and they are pretty comparable.  If you are going to split hairs, you could say that E12 performs and feels a bit better because its a 3-piece, whereas the E6 is a 2-piece but even then, its not a huge difference.

Imagine that. I always was under the imoression the e6 was a 3 piece ball delivered in two models. Soft, and Speed. My bad...I guess. 

As for the e12, I will eventually give it a try.....some day......I guess.

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I just think it’s more beneficial to save money if you can than to worry that your ball isn’t optimal. Really good golfers can see some difference but it’s only significant among the extremes...like a Pinnacle distance and a 4 piece soft ball. It’s just fun/entertainment imo. Like Phil saying it would take a month to get used to a different ball....hogwash. I don’t think the charts showing ball performance showed any amazing differences between elite golf balls. It’s fun to say ‘oh I really like that ball...it performs better for me.’ No it doesn’t. You’re more likely hitting the ball better that day. If you switched balls unknowingly mid round you’d notice nothing. 

I think the biggest difference in golfers vs golf balls is the golfer's swing speed. There are quite a few amature golfers out there who do not swing their clubs fast enough to take full advantage of today's various ball technology advancements. 

I know I could probably use a brand new range ball and shoot pretty much the same scores I do with my regular gamers. Just dont have that extra zip in my swing I had 10-15 years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last five times I changed ball:

* Started playing regularly, bought whatever I could get a lot of for cheap, because I was in graduate school and needed to stretch my golf dollars.  Top Flite Strata I think I paid 29 cents each on eBay for decently-good used ones.  I have enough leftover still that I hit a lot of them in my practice room at home still.

* Late 2007 I think, Bridgestone started doing ball challenges, got fit into the e6.  Got a free sleeve, liked it, bought and used these.

* 2010 or so, another Bridgestone challenge, got fit into the B 330 RX.  Played them for a bit.

* 2013 or 2014 or so, tried the e6 again as a member review on TST.  Liked them enough to finish the box, but shortly thereafter...

* 2014 or 2015 or so, tried the Snell Get Sum, also as a member review on TST.  Liked them enough to finish the box, buy another box, then I bought six dozen.  Still have about 30 unused, hope to get through them by playing five dozen rounds or so in the near future :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Still have about 30 unused, hope to get through them by playing five dozen rounds or so in the near future 

I like your optimism.    30 balls in 60 rounds!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...