IGNORED

Your Playing Ability

golfer2b2000
Note: This thread is 1716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

48 minutes ago, Killa said:

Over here you usually have 3. Ladies, mens and mens pro tees (in 99% of the cases the ladies pro and men’s regular tees are the same)

Well I (and pretty much everyone I ever seen play) ain’t playing from the ladies tees even if I can’t reach a par 4 in 3...

that a big problem with the stigma of the red tees being the ladies' tees.   I'd like to see courses have multiple tees but the ones that don't eliminate the color red.    May I propose scarlet (I know!!!)  and grey as the shorter tees?

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

Aren’t they called the “forward” tees?

Sometimes, but are still mostly referenced as Ladies tees

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, FlyingAce said:

My instructor still reminds me from time to time that golf is a humbling game. You play according to your abilities and not your ego.

You play according to the last really good shot you executed... even if it was two years ago.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dennyjones said:

that a big problem with the stigma of the red tees being the ladies' tees.   I'd like to see courses have multiple tees but the ones that don't eliminate the color red.    May I propose scarlet (I know!!!)  and grey as the shorter tees?

That’s not a stigma, that’s a fact. Look at the scorecard in the attachment. Granted this is a short course (but tight) but the scorecard says the same on every course here. 

When you hit a single digit hcp you sometimes move to the white tees. Otherwise it’s yellow all life long 🙂

41CF67B6-C101-4F42-8E03-E7BDA90DEC70.png

4 hours ago, Killa said:

That’s not a stigma, that’s a fact. Look at the scorecard in the attachment. Granted this is a short course (but tight) but the scorecard says the same on every course here. 

When you hit a single digit hcp you sometimes move to the white tees. Otherwise it’s yellow all life long 🙂

41CF67B6-C101-4F42-8E03-E7BDA90DEC70.png

Most courses I play only have them by color and call them forward tees.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Most courses I play only have them by color and call them forward tees.

And yet, although there are a few exceptions, the vast majority of “forward tees” are only rated for women...  ;-)

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 7/27/2019 at 4:57 AM, golfer2b2000 said:

I have been golfing since I was 13. I just turned 65 a week ago. I have always been an accomplished golfer. My younger days I could hit my driver and carry it well beyond 275 yards. Now my carry is 220 at its best. I play with a group of seniors that are always complaining about how far they can hit the ball. It is a given, but one that we are all reluctant to believe that as we get older, our ability to hit a golf ball farther is affected. Sometimes I feel that if they could possibly hit it 250 yards that they would be satisified. The hell with the score!!

Over the years I have lost distance, but odley enough, my scoring is not all that bad. If I get on a par 4, and it is 420 yards, my chances of getting on in regulation are slim. So I don't try to get on in 2. There are other ways of making par. On a hole that length even if I were to hit the green, my chances for birdie are still small. So my thought on my second shot is not to get on the green, but rather to get "around" the green. If my ball ends up on the green that is a plus, but put yourself in a position to have a 50-50 chance to par the hole. All golf courses have holes that are easier than others. Try to do your scoring on them and try not to give up strokes on hard holes.

My 7 iron has went from 160 yards to now around 145 at its best. But still on par 3's I see people hitting irons that they would have a tuff time hitting if they had a 30 MPH tail wind. You HAVE to be able to adjust to conditions, and the changing in your body. Don't try to hit your 8 iron 140 yards when you know that you can only get 100 yards out of it.

Lastly, be a good putter, and chipper. I play with some younger fellas sometimes that on my best drive, they are 100 yards ahead of me. They are strong, and can really move the ball, but I think I could probably challenge any one of them to a putting contest, and easily beat them. The seniors I play with complain about their scores, and tell me that if I could get off the tee better, that they would score much better. Then they get over a 2 foot putt and leave it short.

So tell me what you think!!!

Enjoyable read thanks for sharing! 

On 7/27/2019 at 12:25 PM, Patch said:

Yeah, getting older robs all of us some of our physical attributes. Our golf games are no exception. 

I will turn 70 in a few months, but I can still play a decent game. I can still score better than alot of the long ballers I play with on occasions. This, because I play, and/or practice everyday. I have been forced to trade distance for more accuracy. 

Although I prefer playing from the whites, I will play from which ever set of tees the group wants to play from. Alot of times, the extra stroke it takes me to reach the green, is made up with one less putt. My game lives off par 3s, par 5s, and par. A bogey 1 is now no longer a bad score on a hole. . 

I play the game for the fun of it. I tend to compete against the course conditions, which is the way I think golf should be played. I never considered it a "hard"  game to play. It just wasn't as easy as playing baseball, basketball, football, poker, chess, or checkers. 

In hour, or so, a group of us will be playing in high triple digit weather. We will complain about the heat, and why we are so stupid to be playing in these conditions. At the end of our "Round In Hell",  it won't matter because it's golf, and we are life long friends, still having fun. 

One thiing to note about forward tees. Sometimes being closer is not better. I play a very simple course with some people senior to myself and I find the difference between those nines to be around 3 to 4 strokes!! I have one hole there that from the regular mens tees I hit a driver, then a 6 iron to clear this lake onto the green. From the senior tees I have to lay up with like a 6 iron to make sure I dont end up an the downslope to the lake which everyone knows usually produces a more difficult shot, then I still have a 7 iron over the lake.

There is another hole that is a dog-leg right. From the senior tees the green is drivable, but miss it to the left or right you have OB and also trees. It is not worth the risk to me so I usually hit a 7 iron off the tee, then have a simple wedge to the green. From the regular tees I use a driver, then usually an 8 or 9 iron...

On 7/27/2019 at 1:23 PM, iacas said:

That's got almost nothing to do with what I've said…?

I'm the head instructor at Chautauqua Golf Club, and Lake View and Lakeshore are both in Erie. I've played each many times.

My original point is that if you're playing a par four that you can't reach in two, you're probably not playing the course as it was designed, and you should move up a set of tees. You'd likely enjoy golf even more.

I play normally to a lower handicap. There are other ways to play a decent game that to get up a belt a driver 275 yards like some people can. As you probably allready know people who can do this, but still can't seem to break 80. If I am beating them by shooting less than this, and because of my age I am allowed to play forward tees, they are surely not going to let me play from there. Now what I am saying, (which I don't believe I stated correctly), is this..If I am playing a par 4 that I am unable to reach in regulation I don't try to. IN MY HEAD I just treat it like a par 5. Hit a nice easy drive, then follow it up with a controlled accurate secong shot, and leave myself lets say 100 yards into the green. Try to get lets say within 15 feet of the pin,then try to use my putting skills to make par on it. I know that yourself as an instructor, you have to know about course management, and that it can save you several strokes per round. I am now 65 years old and I find this to be something I have to pay more attention to than trying to hit a driver a distance that I can only dream about...

• Like 1

It's ok to play the Ladies tees, just don't start until the 2nd hole. This way there's only your group watching. I'm 63 now, and playing as well as I ever have, albeit with less distance. I didn't know when it was time to move up from the blue to the white tees. A few years back, watching golf on tv, Jack Nicklaus told me to play it forward, where I will have more fun, and score better. Well, he was right. Haven't played the blues since. As an experiment, I played the red tees at my local executive course (starting on the 2nd hole, of course). Funny thing was I ended up in all kinds of trouble that I don't normally encounter. My score was similar, but this was an executive course after all.  

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, AlDena said:

It's ok to play the Ladies tees, just don't start until the 2nd hole. This way there's only your group watching. I'm 63 now, and playing as well as I ever have, albeit with less distance. I didn't know when it was time to move up from the blue to the white tees. A few years back, watching golf on tv, Jack Nicklaus told me to play it forward, where I will have more fun, and score better. Well, he was right. Haven't played the blues since. As an experiment, I played the red tees at my local executive course (starting on the 2nd hole, of course). Funny thing was I ended up in all kinds of trouble that I don't normally encounter. My score was similar, but this was an executive course after all.  

Great idea about moving forward at the 2nd hole! There are alot of guys at my club teeing off on blue but couldn’t get the ball past the forward tee, so I don’t get how that is better than teeing off forward!

I sometimes play off white and my husband sometimes plays forward. Although I can still break 80, it is definitely harder/much more challenging/more tiring with the extra distance. On the other hand, my husband did not find it any easier or any less challenging playing forward. He has to play the course with completely different strategies because of troubles that were never in play for him from the white tee.

20 minutes ago, AlDena said:

It's ok to play the Ladies tees, just don't start until the 2nd hole

Why?  I'd have much more respect for someone knowing their limitations and teeing off from the forward tees than the groups of early twenties guys hitting balls from the tips into the woods...

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Tongue in cheek suggestion, so you don't get your manhood questioned by the hecklers on the driving range. Everybody knows everybody else around here.  :-)

2 hours ago, AlDena said:

Myself, I am not really concerned about anyone seeing me play from whatever tees. It's my game, and I really don't care what they think. I probably wouldn't go around bragging about my score though if it was low, which I don't anyway.

My close friend who is not with me anymore told me this. "If you are good, you do not have to tell anyone." He was so right...

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!