IGNORED

Your Playing Ability

golfer2b2000
Note: This thread is 1725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 hours ago, geo63 said:

I think you mean Avalon Lakes. It is a Pete Dye course. Avalon is a different course across the street that was owned by the city. I don't know if it is still open. 

Avalon Lakes was redesigned some years back. Probably 20 or so. There is Avalon Lakes, and right across the road is old Avalon. I believe it's closed now, but maybe not. I do know that years ago it was a very nice public course, but I played it probably 5 years ago and it has really gone down hill. I think they charged us 15 dollars for a cart and 18 holes on a Saturday and I thought that was a great deal. When I got on the course and started to play it I found out just why it was such a great deal. I really got what I paid for. Sorry to see that once such a nice course, is now in the shape it is.

There was also a course in Greenville Pennsylvania that was the Greenville Country Club. Years ago it use to host an Industrial days that drew some top name golfers, and I enjoyed going to watch them and a few local pros compete. It was sold and renamed the Greens. You could steadly see it going down hill. It is closed now. The fairways are tall grass. Around the greens it looks more like a links course.

On 7/29/2019 at 1:22 PM, golfer2b2000 said:

There is a lot of long ball hitters out there in the woods...😄

There's also a lot of long hitters at the top of the leader board. Just sayin'

I certainly do not have any problems playing even the longest courses, but I still play a large majority of my golf from the middle tees at my home course (6545 yds, 69.5 120). The reason being most of the people I play with are more comfortable from the middle tees. 

I still see a ton of those guys who have to play the back tees regardless. I would be correct in saying a majority of them would be better served (as would be EVERYONE behind them) if they moved up a tee or two. They have to hit long irons or hybrids into the longer par 4s and into all of the par 3s. I just don't understand it. Is it an ego thing that makes people play from too far back? Seems weird to me, I would rather tell someone I shot 80 from the forward tees than 90 from the back tees. 

• Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/29/2019 at 11:36 AM, golfer2b2000 said:

My close friend who is not with me anymore told me this. "If you are good, you do not have to tell anyone." He was so right...

The same goes for musicians...

7 hours ago, AlDena said:

The same goes for musicians...

EXACTLY!!!

21 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I certainly do not have any problems playing even the longest courses, but I still play a large majority of my golf from the middle tees at my home course (6545 yds, 69.5 120). The reason being most of the people I play with are more comfortable from the middle tees. 

I still see a ton of those guys who have to play the back tees regardless. I would be correct in saying a majority of them would be better served (as would be EVERYONE behind them) if they moved up a tee or two. They have to hit long irons or hybrids into the longer par 4s and into all of the par 3s. I just don't understand it. Is it an ego thing that makes people play from too far back? Seems weird to me, I would rather tell someone I shot 80 from the forward tees than 90 from the back tees. 

It is an ego thing..I play with guys like this and I really think they like saying that they "play from the tips"...The truth is they should not even be considering doing so. I had a guy once tell me that I don't hit it far enough to get into trouble. And he is sooo right. He usually says this as he is giving me the 5 dollars that I just took from him...

When playing by myself, I usually mix the tees up, just for a different experience. Playing in a group, I go with the tees that allow me the possibility of reaching all greens in regulation. Fifteen years ago it was the tips, now its the member or senior tees.

59 minutes ago, easyjay39402 said:

When playing by myself, I usually mix the tees up, just for a different experience. Playing in a group, I go with the tees that allow me the possibility of reaching all greens in regulation. Fifteen years ago it was the tips, now its the member or senior tees.

Doing what you say also makes it so you are facing different shots. I tend to do the same thing to make a game out of it for myself, because I also play quite a few rounds by myself. I have found that if you play the same course, the same way, you sorta get complaicant.(probably spelled wrong). That is you hit your driver, then you get to your ball, pull out a 5 iron, or 7, or whatever and hit it. Same shot every day. I think is't a great idea to mix it up a bit...I know I have been told by others on here that I don't play the course the way that it was designed, but its my money, and I will play it whatever way I like. Sometimes move up on an easy par 5 and play it as a chalenging par 4. I am not saying to put it our of reach, but make it where if you make a 4 on it, you feel like you have accomplished something..Just my thoughts...

Fairly new here. Just getting back into the game. My local course has 2 18 hole courses. One is just under 5000 yards (63.0/102) from the whites, and only 5300 (65.1/106) from the blues. Played the whites today and shot a 92 with 4i off every par 4 and 5 tee save one. My 180 yard 4i put me with a 100ish yard shot on most par 4s.

Tomorrow I'm playing a course that is 1000 yards longer from the whites (not sure on cr and slope) which I plan on teeing from. I will still be hitting 4i off of the tees because that is the longest club that I am comfortable with and confident that I will be able to find the ball (its usually in the fairway, and never more than 20y wide of it). Some people would say I should play up, but im comfortable with 2 putting for bogey if I get there.

I say play from the tees you want to, and to hell with the idea that you "aren't playing it as intended" in reference to hazards etc. if you can't get there in 2 on a par 4. Go have fun and play your best and your way. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

At least someone feels the same way I do.LOL...I do not, and will not let my score effect the way I played. I judge my round on the way I putted, and the way I struck the ball. Definitly not my score. I know this is something we are always trying to lower, and are pleased with a low scoring round, and I am no different, but when my round is finished I first count up my GIR's, then see how many putts I had. If I am able to hit 10-12 greens, and keep my putts less than 32, my score will usually reflect how I played.

I believe that when you are done playing you have to look at the good shots you hit, and also where you did not play your best. Try to improve on that...

22 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

My local course has 2 18 hole courses. One is just under 5000 yards (63.0/102) from the whites, and only 5300 (65.1/106) from the blues. Played the whites today and shot a 92 with 4i off every par 4 and 5 tee save one. My 180 yard 4i put me with a 100ish yard shot on most par 4s.

This only happens because you're playing an executive course. It's not really the best way to play a standard course as even medium length par 4s (350-400yd) become three shot holes. For high handicap players, more swings means more opportunities to make a mistake. That's why they tend to score higher on par 5s and lower on par 3s, relative to their skill level.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

This only happens because you're playing an executive course. It's not really the best way to play a standard course as even medium length par 4s (350-400yd) become three shot holes. For high handicap players, more swings means more opportunities to make a mistake. That's why they tend to score higher on par 5s and lower on par 3s, relative to their skill level.

Today I shot 96 (48/48) on a longer course (still short at 6000). Still an easy one, but my 4i gained a little power from yesterday and almost every par was within range for my second shot. My playing partners all (3) hit driver about 250-270 and I was an easy 60 to 80 yards behind on every hole. They carded lower than me, but all of them take mulligans/fluff/etc. I am pretty sure I had the lowest score if you count even half of their penalties. I made 2 birdies on par 3s, and pars on some par 4s and par 5s. They were impressed with the discipline I maintained and the consistency of my play, but still managed to cheat their way ahead of me on the card. How long does a course have to be for you to need driver? 6500, 7000?

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

3 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

How long does a course have to be for you to need driver?

Is this a rhetorical question or are you asking me personally?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

Is this a rhetorical question or are you asking me personally?

It's a poor question to ask really, because I know that most peoples answer will be "any course that has a hole they can't reach with a weaker club". I'll be withdrawing from this one. Apologies.

On 7/30/2019 at 4:40 PM, golfer2b2000 said:

Avalon Lakes was redesigned some years back. Probably 20 or so. There is Avalon Lakes, and right across the road is old Avalon. I believe it's closed now, but maybe not. I do know that years ago it was a very nice public course, but I played it probably 5 years ago and it has really gone down hill. I think they charged us 15 dollars for a cart and 18 holes on a Saturday and I thought that was a great deal. When I got on the course and started to play it I found out just why it was such a great deal. I really got what I paid for. Sorry to see that once such a nice course, is now in the shape it is.

There was also a course in Greenville Pennsylvania that was the Greenville Country Club. Years ago it use to host an Industrial days that drew some top name golfers, and I enjoyed going to watch them and a few local pros compete. It was sold and renamed the Greens. You could steadly see it going down hill. It is closed now. The fairways are tall grass. Around the greens it looks more like a links course.

You're right. Avalon Lakes was designed a while ago. The new owner called Pete Dye back in to create a great layout, and wow, did he succeed! Moved a lot of dirt to make it happen, There's a ton of water on the course, and if you play the tips it is seriously long! 

Old Avalon is also open under new management. I haven't been out there to play, but the course looks nice, and well kept. The new operator raised greens fees, but as you you said, cheap greens fees mean a cheap course. Management needs money to keep the course the way you'd like it to be. 

On 7/30/2019 at 9:27 PM, NM Golf said:

On 8/1/2019 at 3:36 PM, easyjay39402 said:

Good points by both. It took me quite a bit of time to convince my buddy that we should be teeing off from the senior tees! He would tell me he was hitting it 260-270 off the the tee and I knew that was lie! He was hitting it 220-230 at best! He was fooling himself.Once I convinced him to use the senior tees, golf became a whole lot of fun again, putting for birdies and eagles! 

If you are 60+ and think you can hit it as far you did when you were 20+ or 40+ you are fooling yourselves! Not unless you're a pro! Best to confront reality and deal with it!

I never was an accomplished golfer, I'm not one at present, and suspect I never will be. On a good day I don't embarrass myself to much, but most days I look like someone who is drunk. The worst parts of my golf are driving, approach shots, chipping, and putting, but the rest is pretty good. You see, you lot are all worried about getting worse as you get older, whereas I would like to think I can't get worse. 

11 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

You're right. Avalon Lakes was designed a while ago. The new owner called Pete Dye back in to create a great layout, and wow, did he succeed! Moved a lot of dirt to make it happen, There's a ton of water on the course, and if you play the tips it is seriously long! 

Old Avalon is also open under new management. I haven't been out there to play, but the course looks nice, and well kept. The new operator raised greens fees, but as you you said, cheap greens fees mean a cheap course. Management needs money to keep the course the way you'd like it to be. 

Good points by both. It took me quite a bit of time to convince my buddy that we should be teeing off from the senior tees! He would tell me he was hitting it 260-270 off the the tee and I knew that was lie! He was hitting it 220-230 at best! He was fooling himself.Once I convinced him to use the senior tees, golf became a whole lot of fun again, putting for birdies and eagles! 

If you are 60+ and think you can hit it as far you did when you were 20+ or 40+ you are fooling yourselves! Not unless you're a pro! Best to confront reality and deal with it!

I am over sixty, and can still hit over 400 (feet that is)

- Simon Hornsby

Note: This thread is 1725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!