IGNORED

Your Playing Ability

golfer2b2000
Note: This thread is 1719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, David in FL said:

And yet, although there are a few exceptions, the vast majority of “forward tees” are only rated for women...  ;-)

We are one of the exceptions. I just noticed this recently.

Blue                         69.7     115     6423

White -Men              68.4     112     6159

White- Ladies          74.1     124

Red- Men                65.8     106     5571

Red Ladies              70.8      118

Yellow-Men              62.5      99     4962

Yellow -Ladies         67.6     115

Edited by geo63

My wife who is now 65 also, sometimes thinks that there should be lady senior tees. Maybe most courses have them, but this little course which you can play 18 holes with a cart and enjoy a soda and a hot dog after your round for 22 bucks does not. No, it's not a premere course, but you can hit a ball there and have fun doing so.

I will sometimes play from the senior-Ladies tee with her. This helps speed up play so we can get done sooner. Since a driver off most of these holes would put me usually 50 yards or so out, I tend to just hit a mid iron off of them. It both sharpens up my mid iron and wedge game. You dont always have to shoot a low score to enjoy a round of golf.

I think many courses and golf associations are trying to rate all sets of tees for both men and women.  I know the Golf Association of Michigan has done a decent job of convincing courses to rate most/all of their tees for both genders.  With the USGA pushing "Tee It Forward" as well as attempting to make the handicap system more inclusive, it is only natural to rate tees for both genders

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Foot Wedge said:

Why?  I'd have much more respect for someone knowing their limitations and teeing off from the forward tees than the groups of early twenties guys hitting balls from the tips into the woods...

There is a lot of long ball hitters out there in the woods...😄

On 7/27/2019 at 8:14 AM, iacas said:

You aren't playing the hole the way it was designed to be played, though. Bunkers aren't in the right place(s), greens designed to accept perhaps a long-iron you're playing to with a wedge… etc.

Moving up a set of tees strikes me as a better way to play golf the way the course was intended to be played.

I’m 75 YO and don’t hit the ball very far. For example, driver-170, 4W-140, 3H-130 and on down to PW-60. I play the senior tee and consider a score of 100 senior par. I was once a 14 HC player. What tees should I be playing? When playing in a foresome I can easily keep up with a four hour round. Playing by myself on a course that is not busy, under three hours.

23 minutes ago, geo63 said:

We are one of the exceptions. I just noticed this recently.

Blue                         69.7     115     6423

White -Men              68.4     112     6159

White- Ladies          74.1     124

Red- Men                65.8     106     5571

Red Ladies              70.8      118

Yellow-Men              62.5      99     4962

Yellow -Ladies         67.6     115

Not surprisingly.  Given your location, and that the course is relatively short and somewhat easy, I’m guessing that it’s a favorite of many seniors/retirees...  

We find the same thing here in Florida in many of the retirement communities.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Not surprisingly.  Given your location, and that the course is relatively short and somewhat easy, I’m guessing that it’s a favorite of many seniors/retirees...  

We have had 3 courses close within a 30 mile radius of me. Play is down and kids would rather sit in front of an X-Box and play video games instead of being outside. I dont have the choices like I use to have. But I do still have some premere courses in the Youngstown Ohio area. I being Avalon. Now you talk about a course. I don't know just who designed it, but he is probably serving time by now. Course is not overly long, (that is from the number 3 tees), but it does demand precise shot making. I believe it is around 100 dollars or so to play it, but it is one that I don't think you will ever forget...

2 hours ago, CharlieB said:

I’m 75 YO and don’t hit the ball very far. For example, driver-170, 4W-140, 3H-130 and on down to PW-60. I play the senior tee and consider a score of 100 senior par. I was once a 14 HC player. What tees should I be playing? When playing in a foresome I can easily keep up with a four hour round. Playing by myself on a course that is not busy, under three hours.

Ideally the tees furthest forward, though you might be able to manage with the tees second furthest forward.  To a certain extent it does depend on the length of the course also.  You should ideally be able to reach the green in regulation whichever tee box you use.  For example, if you need to hit driver on every par 3, your tee is too far back.  Par 3 holes are not really designed for clubs as long as a driver or 3 wood.  In principle hybrid at best

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

20 minutes ago, golfer2b2000 said:

We have had 3 courses close within a 30 mile radius of me. Play is down and kids would rather sit in front of an X-Box and play video games instead of being outside. I dont have the choices like I use to have. But I do still have some premere courses in the Youngstown Ohio area. I being Avalon. Now you talk about a course. I don't know just who designed it, but he is probably serving time by now. Course is not overly long, (that is from the number 3 tees), but it does demand precise shot making. I believe it is around 100 dollars or so to play it, but it is one that I don't think you will ever forget...

I was referring to @geo63‘s post/course that I quoted...

In David's bag....

On 7/27/2019 at 8:43 AM, billchao said:

@golfer2b2000 I agree with your post about accepting the state of your game, but I kind of feel like if you're playing par 4s you can't reach in 2, you should move up a set of tees.

Our group has a rule that you can't move up to the senior tees until you handicap plus age equals 85. We have guys playing to a low single digit on a 6,400 yard par 71 course that struggle to hit the ball 240 yards. If they don't connect and get it all off the tee, then they might be hitting a 3w or hybrid into the green on the longer par fours. A good 3w for these guys is maybe 190. 

6 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Our group has a rule that you can't move up to the senior tees until you handicap plus age equals 85. We have guys playing to a low single digit on a 6,400 yard par 71 course that struggle to hit the ball 240 yards. If they don't connect and get it all off the tee, then they might be hitting a 3w or hybrid into the green on the longer par fours. A good 3w for these guys is maybe 190. 

I don't get your point. They can reach it in two, right? What does that have to do with what I wrote that you quoted?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, golfer2b2000 said:

But I do still have some premiere courses in the Youngstown Ohio area. One being Avalon. Now you talk about a course. I don't know just who designed it, but he is probably serving time by now. 

In my college days I played in an NCAA Championship tournament at Avalon in the Youngstown/Warren, Ohio area.  As I understand it, that was a Jack Nicklaus designed course.  I don't think he is serving time right now.

45 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

In my college days I played in an NCAA Championship tournament at Avalon in the Youngstown/Warren, Ohio area.  As I understand it, that was a Jack Nicklaus designed course.  I don't think he is serving time right now.

I think you mean Avalon Lakes. It is a Pete Dye course. Avalon is a different course across the street that was owned by the city. I don't know if it is still open. 

3 hours ago, golfer2b2000 said:

22 minutes ago, geo63 said:

I think you mean Avalon Lakes. It is a Pete Dye course. Avalon is a different course across the street that was owned by the city. I don't know if it is still open. 

You're exactly right, geo! Avalon Lakes was designed by Pete Dye, twice! And it is directly across the road from what is now called "Old Avalon". And it seem that Old Avalon is doing just fine! I went out to watch the final of the youth tournament at Avalon Lakes, and rented a cart so I could have a look at the whole course. With the shape my knees are in, there's no way I could hike the whole way around it! It is spectacular!

Once I was done over there, I went across the street and had a look at "Old Avalon". It looked pretty good! It is widely said that Hogan was a big fan of the back nine! And the course is hardly a pushover! The front nine is relatively open, while the back nine is tree lined, and tighter. There was talk last year of the owner of Tam 'O Shanter GC near Hermitage, PA was looking to maybe take the course over and run it. 

15 hours ago, David in FL said:

Florida IS a retirement community. :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

16 hours ago, golfer2b2000 said:

There is a lot of long ball hitters out there in the woods...😄

I don't think a 150 yard slice or duck hook qualifies one as a "long hitter".  Although some guys think they are just because they're less than 25 years old.  If that's your typical ballflight, you have no business splaying from the tips.  Hell, I have no business playing from the tips.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Florida IS a retirement community. :-P

True dat!

In David's bag....

I may have posted this before but below are the distances of my home course from the different tees and I play from the whites.  The course is not level with some uphill holes that may not seem long but they play much longer than the card would indicate.  I have highlighted in red the one hole that I cannot reach in regulation and in yellow the holes that are a stretch distance wise but I can reach them in regulation if I make some excellent swings (for me).  As a 16 HCP I am only on in regulation for 4-5 holes on a typical round.  I enjoy the challenge and do not feel that I am over my head on the white tees.  The course has a 70.1 rating and 136 slope and here is plenty of sand and rough to make it difficult for a player at my level.  But I am having a ball on the white tees and do not feel pressured to move up.

HOLE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Out 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN Tot
BLACK 565 365 340 175 405 410 165 370 550 3345 545 395 235 405 200 410 540 465 410 3605 6950
BLUE 540 345 325 165 390 395 155 360 525 3200 515 385 210 390 190 390 515 450 390 3435 6635
WHITE 520 325 310 155 370 375 145 345 500 3045 495 365 195 370 180 375 495 435 375 3285 6330
GOLD 495 315 295 150 350 360 130 325 475 2895 480 350 180 355 165 360 475 415 355 3135 6030
GREEN 485 290 265 135 310 335 120 315 415 2670 465 300 170 310 155 305 465 345 300 2815 5485
MENS HCP 7 5 15 17 1 9 11 13 3   14 4 12 16 18 8 10 2 6    

PAR 5 4 4 3 4 4 3 4 5 36 5 4 3 4 3 4 5 4 4 36 72

RED 425 270 255 125 305 310 115 280 410 2495 405 295 160 305 150 300 405 340 295 2655 5150

Note: This thread is 1719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!