IGNORED

Strange Things Seen on Golf Courses

Buckeyebowman
Note: This thread is 1613 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, RussUK said:

I've seen a matress just off a fairway at a course near Loughborough and two kids riding a quadbike through a bunker at a course in Leeds. Needless to say they weren't the classiest of courses!

Play is so slow at my course at times, I would love it if there were a nice mattress to nap on while waiting. 😉

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

An elderly couple and I were playing and on the 14th hole, a dog arrives and lays down at the tee box.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 7/29/2019 at 9:54 AM, CarlSpackler said:

I am revising my previous answer about the condom machine, but it is at the same course. Years ago, a tranny used to hang out behind some businesses that border hole #3. This was on the weekends when the businesses were closed. (S)he would put on quite a show trying to attract the attention of golfers or bikers riding down the bike path. One day, a group behind me went over to the fence and started flirting. I tried to wave them off, but they certainly were not paying attention to me. When I passed by them a few holes later, I asked if they enjoyed the show on 3. When they confirmed that they did, I broke the sad news. One of the guys in the group exclaimed, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

image.png

I will gladly accept the award for the strangest thing ever seen on a golf course at your earliest convenience @Buckeyebowman

And the Academy Award goes to...Carl Spackler! I saw something similar, but it was not on a golf course. It was in Bologna, Italy. We were all standing outside our hotel, dressed to the nines, ready to go to some official dinner, when down the sidewalk walks this seemingly striking looking "woman". Upon closer inspection, and seeing the Aquiline nose and Adam's apple, I realize that "she" is a cross dresser at the very least. The hotel was fronted by very massive columns. I ducked behind one of them to laugh my butt off, while my compatriots chatted her up!  

On 7/29/2019 at 1:51 PM, bkuehn1952 said:

I did not really seen anything but a few weeks ago I was preparing to tee off on a hole bordered by dense woods and vegetation.  An ambulance, with its siren wailing, drove by on a road that borders the course.  From the dense woodland there sounded a group of yips and howls until the ambulance was out of hearing range.  Presumably a coyote family lives in the woodland and the pups were responding to the "howl" they heard.

This has happened to me. We were playing the 18th at Firestone Farms in Columbiana, Ohio. A really nice track kind of out in the country. There was a fire alarm in the village of Columbiana, off to our right, and fire engine sirens were going off. Shortly after, a pack of coyotes set up a yip fest in the woods at the top of the hill to our left. I tapped my buddy on the shoulder and asked if he heard them. Once I pointed it out to him, he did. We have coyotes all over the place! 

This also reminded me of a course where I played league years ago. If you hit to the left of the 14th green, you might see a red fox dash out of the woods, grab your ball, and disappear back into the woods! I don't know what it did the balls. I had to figure there a fox den with a bunch of golf balls in it, somewhere in that woods! 

Not the strangest thing... but scary!  I'm playing by myself in the dead of winter. Somewhere across the course there's a group of drunk bastards hootin' and hollering.  Turns out they were a pack of coyotes.  And they all met me on the 18th tee.  Had to bring out the 5 iron for safety.  Breathed a sign of relief when I reached the clubhouse.

A couple weeks ago, we were playing the 11th hole at Killian Greens Golf Club in SW Miami. As we got closer to the green, we saw what looked like a person under the tree. We wondered if it was some homeless person, or maybe one of the maintenance guys taking a break. When we got close enough to see clearly in the shade, this is what we found.

20190722_115059.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

I saw a bunch of penguins once.

Oh, I'm sorry, they were Penguins 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

There were two young couples teeing off on the first tee. The one young man was trying to impress the other three. He took the driver back and came so far over the top at such a violent motion he hit himself in the ankle. Down on the ground he went screaming like crazy. It looked like it really hurt!

Watched a young guy hitting his approach shot to the 18th green over the water. It had just stopped raining, so the fairway was slippery. As he swung his feet slipped out underneath him and he came right down on his back.

Never realized that golf is a full contact sport.

On 7/29/2019 at 9:54 AM, CarlSpackler said:

I am revising my previous answer about the condom machine, but it is at the same course. Years ago, a tranny used to hang out behind some businesses that border hole #3. This was on the weekends when the businesses were closed. (S)he would put on quite a show trying to attract the attention of golfers or bikers riding down the bike path. One day, a group behind me went over to the fence and started flirting. I tried to wave them off, but they certainly were not paying attention to me. When I passed by them a few holes later, I asked if they enjoyed the show on 3. When they confirmed that they did, I broke the sad news. One of the guys in the group exclaimed, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

image.png

I will gladly accept the award for the strangest thing ever seen on a golf course at your earliest convenience @Buckeyebowman

Reading this at first I thought you were talking about "pickle park" as my cousin put it. The park off the right side of 17, on the outside at hills and dales. Used to be quite the spot for the other persuasion in the 90s ive heard. Before my time fortunately 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

On 8/3/2019 at 6:50 PM, leftybutnotPM said:

I think that, if I was behind him, I would have hit into him! After all, he's giving me a flagstick to shoot at!

On 8/3/2019 at 10:20 PM, Bonvivant said:

Reading this at first I thought you were talking about "pickle park" as my cousin put it. The park off the right side of 17, on the outside at hills and dales. Used to be quite the spot for the other persuasion in the 90s ive heard. Before my time fortunately 

Oh, we had a "pickle park" around here too! It was roadside restroom on SR 82 near Brookfield. The state closed it down and plowed it under! 

On 7/31/2019 at 9:04 AM, CarlSpackler said:

Play is so slow at my course at times, I would love it if there were a nice mattress to nap on while waiting. 😉

This is superb! Sadly, you may end up pregnant just by laying down on the mattress were I a betting man......

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

8 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Not overly strange but this coyote took a stroll across the driving range this afternoon. 

1EA1BDC0-55BF-4E4D-A9EB-CF0B552DA56A.jpeg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I was playing in a foursome with some friends. We were putting on a par three, and were probably all within a 25 foot diameter of the hole. We heard a ball crash into a tree next to our hole. The ball rolled up onto our green, and as we all watched the ball rolled up between all of us as we watched and,(YOU GUESSED IT), rolled gently into the hole. I could not believe it!!

The gentleman walked up as we were finishing and we directed him to where his ball ended up, and were laughing. But the gentleman by his facial expression was not well pleased, nor found it funny...

You know the tunnel at Bethpage Black you use going from the 1st hole to the 2nd? I was walking through that tunnel towards 1 and a ball bounced in, came in pretty hot, it passed me and then rolled back to me as I walked out the tunnel. Obviously there was no FORE! Way offline approach to 1 from some guy, I passed him and told him his ball was resting on the grate.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 1613 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!