IGNORED

What Are Your Trouble Spots?

Patch
Note: This thread is 1684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

Another trouble spot is really short bunker shots.. I always flub them and land on the lip or hit them way too far.

That's what I meant when I said ... bunkers. Open the club face and hit 2" behind the ball and lift the ball out of the sand, they said... except the club bounces off the sand and I catch it thin and it goes way over the green. OR if I don't swing quite as hard it doesn't make it out and hits the lip and rolls back in. I'm waiting to take a lesson on bunker shots from the pro at the club where I play since the practice bunker has the same lousy sand in it... until that happens I'm taking the 2 stroke penalty, dropping behind in line with the flag and hacking it over - it's fewer strokes, trust me.

Edited by DrvFrShow

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Trees kind of suck. I have this weird way of hitting them, even when they don't seem to be in my way.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 8/4/2019 at 2:51 AM, freshmanUTA said:

The 80-100 yard range with my wedges sucks.

Oh, me too.  That is my current nemesis.  My sand wedge goes sky high and no more than 80 yards.  My gap wedge goes about 115-120.  I may actually need an in-between club.

Hazard on the right off the tee.  Makes no sense as I tend to hook the ball more than slice with my misses, but hazard on the right and driver means trouble.  It's gotten to where I often will hit FW off the tee and just take the longer shot in.

2 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

Oh, me too.  That is my current nemesis.  My sand wedge goes sky high and no more than 80 yards.  My gap wedge goes about 115-120.  I may actually need an in-between club.

Are you doing full swings with the wedges? For a 100 yard shot, I use a 3/4 PW. 80 yards is 3/4 SW, 90, 3/4 GW, etc. Partial wedge shots can be really accurate. I finished today with a 1/2 PW from about 65 yards and got it to 10 feet. Check this thread out.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 1 month later...

Inside of 100 yards is where my game needs most work. My stock shot from 100 yards used to be a 52 or 56 delofted and flighted down with a 3/4 swing (basically the closest thing to a full swing for me with all wedges). Somehow my delivery has changed in the last year or so and I can't do that to save my life even if I have the ball miles back in my stance. Feels like I'm constantly fanning the face open and hitting these high weak nothing shots.

Given my last round... the tee, the woods, the fairway, bunkers, the rough. Putting green? I'm good there.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

38 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

40-60 yards is my problem zone.  I am in it so often and I am getting increasingly petrified of it.

My "zone" is 25-60 yards... the weakest part of my game.  Sometimes I hit those shots great, other times I might as well be a 36 handicapper.  Luckily, I hit a lot of Greens in Regulation or leave the ball in the fringe, so I don't face those shots often.  And on a par 5 if I can't reach the green in two shots (not that often) I'll lay back to about 75 - 100 yards.

On 7/29/2019 at 8:34 AM, Patch said:

Fortunately, these two issues don't happen to me very often. 

Was going to ask if this happens a lot? Pretty rare for me too.

My trouble spots are being behind a tree between large roots. Short of bringing a chainsaw as a 14th club, I hate being there.

Other things can be easily strategized, but a deep low hook into trees is just a complete screwup. At that point, I’m just thinking about why I did that 🤪

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I only hit my stock shot when I play unless it's something like a low hook punch out under a tree, so essentially any time im blocked out by a tree, it sorta sucks for me as I've yet to add a reliable draw or fade to my arsenal.  I figure, hey, if I can't control my face and path well enough to hit it straight, whats the point of learning a bunch of other shots that will just cause a bunch of double crosses?  maybe next season

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

On 7/29/2019 at 11:54 AM, klineka said:

A trouble spot for me is one where I have no other choice but to draw/hook the ball.

My stock shot shape is a slight fade, and I am decently proficient at adding more cut/slice if need be, but I have no ability to intentionally move the ball right to left 

Just the opposite, can draw/hook the ball naturally, but not fade. 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

52 minutes ago, shanksalot said:

My cognitive skills often go awry.

Your ‘cognitive skills’ go awry because of poor shots. Very few players ‘real problem’ is due to mental issues. It’s poor mechanics. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

50 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Your ‘cognitive skills’ go awry because of poor shots. Very few players ‘real problem’ is due to mental issues. It’s poor mechanics. 

When my swing mechanics go bad,  which cause my poorer shots, I just blame it on my hang over from the partying the night before. My cerebellum is still drunk...lol

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I hate to disagree with you,, but I had a stroke some time ago. It affected my cognitive skills> I had to learn to read all over again. I had to learn to play golf again after 50 years at the game. At the age of 77 it is not easy to concentrate or even to remember to do it at times. There are times I can't take the club back because I don't have any idea how to do it. So I don't think I am wrong here, but one never knows does one.

12 minutes ago, shanksalot said:

I hate to disagree with you,, but I had a stroke some time ago. It affected my cognitive skills> I had to learn to read all over again. I had to learn to play golf again after 50 years at the game. At the age of 77 it is not easy to concentrate or even to remember to do it at times. There are times I can't take the club back because I don't have any idea how to do it. So I don't think I am wrong here, but one never knows does one.

Ah...well that’s hardly assumed, sorry to hear that...but power to you for doing what you do! That being said, referring to the mental game as far as concentration or otherwise ‘poor thinking’ is what’s being referenced and yours is actually organic, physical. So it’s not actually a disagreement  it’s a different mental issue altogether. Someone saying, ‘ I have trouble concentrating on the course’ is much different than ‘ I have a brain malfunction that inhibits my concentration.’ All good.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!