cooke119

Right Size Grips - Why Don't People Use Them?

18 posts / 842 viewsLast Reply

I see so many people who spends tons of money on clubs but don't think about the size grip they should be using. Over the years I've been fitted for clubs and grip size only comes up if I ask about it, (not very good fitters I must say). My hand measurement dictates a mid-size grip, I have changed all my clubs to mid-size and they feel so much better. I was at the range today with a friend who's hands are bigger then mine and he had "regular" size grips, they felt so thin. I let him hit my clubs and he loved the grips, I think he'll get his changed. 

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I think a majority of weekend warrior golfers just don't give a rat's butt about about their equipment.

They get a set of (cheap) clubs, sometimes fitted, most times not. They then proceed to go out and shoot a 100+ score, and they are just fine with that. They figure since 40%-50% (guessing) shoot 100 or more, that's good enough for them.

As for grips, I have no idea what size grips I use. Never really thought about it, although I have read there are some advantages to properly sized grips. Just figured it was a sort of selling hype. 

I change my own grips every October. I buy what ever is on sale, that feels comfortable. If there are designs on the grip, I will take a little extra time to match those designs to my club face angle, as a quick reference on where to place my hands. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It can become silly too. You use a Mid-size for awhile then when you start struggling with ball striking you hold a jumbo grip and it feels so much better. Then back to regular size..oh wait....+2 wraps....on and on.

Probably money. I'd be a majority of golfers never change their grips aside from purchasing new clubs. Probably even fewer know that midsize grips exist. 

Now, how about the putter? Would a larger/smaller grip work better, due to the type stroke being used? I don't know off hand if makes a difference or not.

My putter grips are different from my regular clubs. However, I know a few folks who's putter grips match the rest of their set. 

And then there's those over sized Natural Golf grips where the grip is more in the palms of the hands. A topic for another day......

I dont think grip size really makes a difference.  Its all personal preference, IMO.  Ive got some clubs with regular, some with midsize, some with jumbo and while I do like the feel of a bigger grip, it doesnt really make a difference in the quality of shots that I hit.

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Because it's not that important? Grip size is mostly a comfort thing.

When you get old and arthritis sets in comfort becomes an important thing...

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Because it's not that important? Grip size is mostly a comfort thing.

This.

Is this true? Grip size is purely preference with no actual evidence a properly fit grip does anything. 

5 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Is this true? Grip size is purely preference with no actual evidence a properly fit grip does anything. 

Yeah.

3 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

You should still change grips after so many rounds correct?

Well it depends on the brand/type of grip. Winn or Golf Pride? Yes. Pure Grips..no. Pure Grips will last considerably longer. 

Hmmm, interesting, here I thought grip size would make a big difference, I felt it did for me but I guess it was just a comfort thing. I looked the question up on the internet and found an article that says it really doesn't matter that much, (based on the testing they did), 

I think it depends on your hands for comfort, but I don't think it affects your swing at all. I switched to mid-size this year, up from Standard +3 wraps because I have a bit of arthritis in a couple of knuckles and the beginnings of dupuytren's contracture. I haven't haven't had any knuckle pain at all. The other issue doesn't seem to see a difference. 

20 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

You should still change grips after so many rounds correct?

Incorrect. You change grips when they are worn and negatively affect the way your hands feel on them.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

16 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

@Vinsk what makes pures so good?  I can’t say I have seen them in any shops on Long Island. 

I believe they’re real rubber. The other brands have material that just doesn’t last as long despite promoting ‘multi-compound.’