Beastie

Proximity to golf courses vs population density

6 posts / 329 viewsLast Reply

I am currently visiting my parents in the old home town of Banchory in Aberdeenshire. It’s a small town 18 miles from  the only population centre of Aberdeen(which is itself a small city) 

I have just counted and there are 36 golf courses within 20 miles of my parents from door. The total population  of that area is most likely under 400 000. 

How do your local areas compare? I’m particularly interested in ends of the scale. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

By my very rough count, I'm looking at 27 total, but 7 are private courses in the 20-mile radius of Dayton OH. I'm in a smaller town up north but family lives down there.  Population is something like 799,000. We've also had roughly 8 or 9 courses shut in the last few years. 

My guess is that still probably has us in good stead from a pure quantity standpoint with a lot of places in the U.S. But no real comparison to Scotland.

14 golf courses within 25 miles of me.  County population is 221,500.  That's approximately 1 course for every 16,000 people... man, woman, child, jail resident.

Clark County,  NV (Las Vegas area) has a population of (guessing) 2.2 million +/-residents. Again guessing, there are around 80-90 +/-golf courses. Maybe 20 +/- or so are private, or semi private. 

Clark County is right around 8K. +/- square miles. 

All of these courses are with in 1.5 hour driving time from my home. Probably 50 or so,  are with in a 45 minute drive. Three are with in a 5-10  minute drive for me.

I have golfed almost all of them, plus several more that have gone out of business  

My community has 11 within a 14.5 square mile area.  38,000 people.  185 in the Phoenix metro. Can't go very far out here without seeing a golf course.