11 posts / 1405 viewsLast Reply

Hi I am new to golf.when I grip the golf club I can only put my right hand first and then my left hand underneath.when I do it the opposite way round I don’t feel in control of the club and it feels uncomfortable to hold.is this a big No No or is it ok to put your right hand at the top and left at bottom.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

2 hours ago, Sean83 said:

Hi I am new to golf.when I grip the golf club I can only put my right hand first and then my left hand underneath.when I do it the opposite way round I don’t feel in control of the club and it feels uncomfortable to hold.is this a big No No or is it ok to put your right hand at the top and left at bottom.

Welcome to The Sand Trap. Check out this thread below.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, DennisMiller said:

You didn't mention whether you want to play right handed or left handed.

Regardless, there are the very few players who play cross handed.

Sorry Dennis.am right handed 

On 7/30/2019 at 11:15 PM, Sean83 said:

I played with a single digit handicapper who played cross handed.  He was good at it.  In fact he played cricket that way as well.  So, cross-handed is not an issue

1 hour ago, pganapathy said:

I played with a single digit handicapper who played cross handed.  He was good at it.  In fact he played cricket that way as well.  So, cross-handed is not an issue

Ok thanks for That information.👍

I have seen more than few folks play golf cross handed. Some were pretty good players. Just figured what ever works for them. 

I've tried it on and off just to try something different, but I always go back to my variation of the Vardon grip. 

I even dabbled around with Furyk's double over lap grip. His grip istill intrigues to this day. 

I also see alot of right handed  folks putting/chipping left hand low. That's pretty common sctually. 

I have also read various articles the said that alot of times, a grip that feels uncomfortable at first, given time to get use to, is usually a good grip. 

Irregardless of which hand is placed where, it needs to be gripped in the fingers. Allows for a hinge, and creates speed. It's a bit easier to grip right hand lower, simply because it's easier anatomically on the backswing, and allows the grip to feel more natural.

I think as long as it helps you play and enjoy the game then there is nothing wrong with it. My 6 year old son has gripped "cack handed" as we call it over here since he picked up a club 2 years ago. No matter what i do he automatically goes back to left hand low so i let him do it.

There are so many ways to grip the club, whether its overlap, double overlap, interlock, 10 finger or whatever as long as they allow you to deliver the clubhead to the ball as square as possible then all are good.

I personally use a 10 finger butterfly grip (best thing Leadbetter came out with!) and it works for me.