weifert

Anybody Around Cincinnati in the Group?

6 posts / 464 viewsLast Reply

Hi All,

I'm from northern Kentucky, and just moved back to the Cincinnati area after spending 10 years between Oklahoma and Michigan. Trying to get serious about golf and wondering if anybody in this group is in the area. 

If so, interested in what courses are good to play around here.

I'm in the Dayton area and have played down that way only a couple of times (often in conjunction with trips to see the Reds). 

Glenview GC is a 27-holer owned by Cincinnati Recreation Commission. So its a muni, but I remember it being in pretty decent shape when I played it a few years back.

On one rarely nice January day, I went south to another CRC course, Avon Fields. It's a short and compact little track, but was surprised how good a shape it was in given the time of year. Avon Fields has the distinction of being the first municipal golf course west of the Alleghenies. 

In the hills west of town is Aston Oaks. That's a higher-end public course and was, honestly, a bit too tough for the likes of me. Lots of up and down and I'd find that my cruddy tee shots might hit fairway and bounce their way to oblivion.

I'm sure there are others that could tell you a lot more.

Edited by mcanadiens

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Check out the Hamilton County courses... Vineyard, Mill Course, Sharon woods are all great.  The county courses are better than most of the CRC courses in my opinion.

In Northern Kentucky , Lassing Pointe is a good one. 

If you are up for small competition look into the Ohio Valley Golf Association.  Single day, flighted tournaments at a different course each week within the region.  I play with this group and everyone is great and laid back, its a fun time.  If nothing else, take a look at the website and tournament list, it will give you an idea of the courses in the area.

Edited by vasaribm

@vasaribmThanks for recommending the Ohio Valley Golf Association. Once I get a little better and more confident I was hoping to find something that is a little competitive.

I'm up in the Columbus, OH area. I have on occasion gotten down there to play. I'll second the Sharon Woods comment. 

I'm in Cincinnati, grew up playing almost everywhere. As far as Hamilton County Courses go i would say Miami Whitewater and Vineyard are the two best. As far as Cincinnati Rec courses go I would recommend Glenview has the best 18 South/West. From the blacks the course is fairly challenging but there are still courses to score. I second Aston Oaks for a nicer and more challenging public course. Blue Ash golf course is a bigger challenge than most local courses and is typically in great shape. Pebble Creek is a fun course and has some unique holes including an island green. If you're willing to drive Shaker Run is a fun course. Hickory Woods is always fun and Walden Ponds is a fun course that has serious scorability. Cheers!

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...