IGNORED

Reading Chips/Pitches

Patch
Note: This thread is 1681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, amished said:

Depending on the amount of fluff to go through, my worst chip is equal to my worst putt, and I feel more likely to hit a bad putt than a bad chip (due to my work on my chipping/pitching, especially recently).

If I'm not on the fringe/fairway type grass, I never putt it anymore.  I've tried, and I either seem to barely make it out of the thicker stuff or crush it beyond the hole.

For sure it depends on the lie. If you have a good bit of light rough to go through, then it may not be the play. I was replying to the post about getting to the point where putting is usually not the better option. 

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, TN94z said:

For sure it depends on the lie. If you have a good bit of light rough to go through, then it may not be the play. I was replying to the post about getting to the point where putting is usually not the better option. 

That was the point I was trying to get across in my own game where if I'm close to the green, I'm almost never doing anything but putting it.  The instances where I don't putt are when I have too much rough or longer fairway grass in the way or there's a large enough mound or something that would make the putt much more difficult than chipping over and taking some of that break out.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

19 hours ago, TN94z said:

Fair point. For myself, I always felt like my worst putt was much better than my worst chip

Actually, that is a very good point.  I will have to consider it.

My thoughts on reading a chip is "what you get out of the shot directly reflects what you put into the shot". Take your time because you may see a certain break if you take your time and read it at eye level.

As of reading the green for a pitch shot. Its important to know the slope/speed/firmness of green but its also important to know how your spin will affect the outcome once it hits the green.

• Informative 1

Yeah, this ^.  I think that one of the next parts of the game I would like to educate myself on is how to predict the spin of a chip shot.  A lot of mine seem to roll in directions I do not expect.

I think a lot of this is related to swing path (cut spin, straight on strike, hooded spin), turf interaction, and club choice. Just a few things that help me create a shot that gets me up and down.

Note: This thread is 1681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!