Jump to content
Lonely one

Husband Chooses Golf Over Marriage

91 posts / 4450 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Lonely one said:

Are there any ladies out there that are going through something similar?  I could really use some advice on how to save my marriage.  I love that my husband has his hobbies but it's gotten to a point where I totally feel left out, he golfs at 3-4 times weekly, including every Saturday, not to mention he works nights but still has the energy to go play golf.  I feel like we live separate lives.  We went to dinner for the first time in months and it did not go very well, as there was such a disconnect between us.. I'm not trying to stop him from playing, I just, idk. He plays with his employees or his boss a lot of times. And other friends of his, they all see my husband more than I do. No told him I would like to learn to play but that didn't go over very well.  I just want time for US too.  Help!

 

I have experience in marriage counselling. First of all, human beings are NOT monogamous animals, and the fact he has chosen golf rather than another woman should be looked at as a positive. It's only women that tend to have a problem with their partners going off and enjoying themselves. Seriously, reverse the situation, and ask yourself this, would he be complaining if you found a hobby you really liked and spent time enjoying? My advice would be to let him carry on enjoying himself, and stop being so controlling. Alternatively divorce him and find a man that doesn't mind being hen pecked.  Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but good marriages are based on the time you spend apart, not together. I play four times a week, as well as this I go on golfing trips with my friends, and stay away when I go to football matches. My wife goes to the gym four times a week, and spends 4 days away every six weeks when she goes to see her friend. Being married doesn't mean you have to be joined at the hip. I know lot's of men who are controlled by their wives, they are all miserable, and regret the day they ever got married. 

14 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Dead right it is. 100%

A husband gets angry when his wife suggests that she would like to learn to play golf.

He chooses to spend as much time away from her as possible. And wants to play golf as much as he can - deliberately excluding her.

What would your advice be?

Look mate, most blokes play golf to get away from their old woman, so the last thing he wants is to have is her tagging along behind him. If my wife took up golf, I would give it up. 

Edited by Mr Puddle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

10 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I think that most men are tired of being controlled all the time. At work. At home. Spending time at a bar, or playing golf, working on cars, etc. is a a way to reconnect with masculinity that is being robbed by what is becoming a more female dominated society.

That is what I see with most of my friends. They are sick of constant nagging, so they want to hang out where they can control their own thoughts. I have no clue if that is what is going on in your relationship, but it is something to consider. Golf is an escape that taps in to our primal need to hunt (theory). 

Thank God, somebody speaking some sense at last. Some men don't need lots of time with other men, whilst others (like me) need loads. Women are basically another specie, and almost without exception are very controlling. This can be controlled, but like dogs the training has to take place early in any relationship. My son goes to work, then comes home and spends time with his wife only. He has no social life that doesn't involve her. As a result he has become an amazingly boring individual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PLEASE go speak to a professional marriage counselor...!!!

Once you have spoken to a counselor, once or twice maybe, decide with the counselor how to approach your husband about going with you. PLEASE let a professional handle this.

If you truly love him and want to save your marriage, professional advice and their suggested methods of how to approach togetherness will probably be the only way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Nice.  But what does she enjoy doing that she'd like you to join her in?  Do that first.  Golf is not the "King" of hobbies.  Well, let me rethink that...

Golf is the only thing we don't do together.

33 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

Look mate, most blokes play golf to get away from their old woman, so the last thing he wants is to have is her tagging along behind him. If my wife took up golf, I would give it up. 

WTF is wrong with you??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, DennisMiller said:

PLEASE go speak to a professional marriage counselor...!!!

Once you have spoken to a counselor, once or twice maybe, decide with the counselor how to approach your husband about going with you. PLEASE let a professional handle this.

If you truly love him and want to save your marriage, professional advice and their suggested methods of how to approach togetherness will probably be the only way.

If I had the money to spend on a councillor I would rather spend it on golf lessons. 

9 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Golf is the only thing we don't do together.

WTF is wrong with you??

I speak for the majority of men. Spending four hours with your mates having a laugh is brilliant, whilst spending four hours on the course being nagged isn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am over 65. I fell into golf 7 years ago. We had no idea her brother and partner were golfers. Move forward 7 years. I play in a mens league once a week. I play golf with my wife once a week. She plays in two ladies leagues weekly. We plan golf trips with my BIL/partner. She also attends church 4 or more times per week. (We even plan the weekend golf around her church activities-I believe I am a druid priest) She is retired, I am not. When I really think about it, other than golf (and the other,lol) we spend only about an hour a day together. 

Thats often over food-i cook a fair amount.

I often listen to my wife discuss the trivia/minutia of what goes on at her church. We have some of her church buddies over for suppers.We've even brought her RC priest golfing a couple of times.

Winters its a bowling league for her.

It could be a lot worse. We both stopped drinking and drugging. Family members have died from drinking and drugging...some haven't died from it yet.

I gotta put things in perspective ...for me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

I am over 65. I fell into golf 7 years ago. We had no idea her brother and partner were golfers. Move forward 7 years. I play in a mens league once a week. I play golf with my wife once a week. She plays in two ladies leagues weekly. We plan golf trips with my BIL/partner. She also attends church 4 or more times per week. (We even plan the weekend golf around her church activities-I believe I am a druid priest) She is retired, I am not. When I really think about it, other than golf (and the other,lol) we spend only about an hour a day together. 

Thats often over food-i cook a fair amount.

I often listen to my wife discuss the trivia/minutia of what goes on at her church. We have some of her church buddies over for suppers.We've even brought her RC priest golfing a couple of times.

Winters its a bowling league for her.

It could be a lot worse. We both stopped drinking and drugging. Family members have died from drinking and drugging...some haven't died from it yet.

I gotta put things in perspective ...for me...

Sounds ideal. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Like I said, a good marriage is based on the time spent apart, not together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

Sounds ideal. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Like I said, a good marriage is based on the time spent apart, not together

I disagree. A good marriage is built on time spent together. Like anything in life, there needs to be balance. I spend as much time as I can with my wife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not qualified what-so-ever to speak about relationships, but should three or four rounds of golf really preclude someone from spending time with their spouse?

Hours in a week                 168

Hours working                     -40

Hours sleeping                    -49

Four rounds + travel time    -25

Leaves                                 54

Unless the fella working way more than a standard 40, it's probably not just golf that is the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, geo63 said:

Maybe she doesn't go anywhere but stays home and does things alone like surf the web while he is expected to just sit there.

 

This is pretty much spot on my wife. We've discussed the issue multiple times, but she still struggles with me leaving to do just about anything. That said, she is like that because a her first husband would leave her home alone constantly, so I take that into consideration when she gets upset. She does her best to not get on my case when I go golf, bowl, or whatever, and I do my best to keep the activities that require me to be gone to a reasonable amount. Marriage is a balance, each person needs to learn to give and take.

My question to the OP, is this increase in golfing a fairly new thing? If it is, it's entirely possible that it will pass. I have a tendency to go all in on things for a period of time, spending a lot of time doing it, then I get bored and move on. Outside of that, if things are really bad, I do echo what others have said about counseling.

Edited by Jeremie Boop
clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A friend of mine just celebrated their 50th Anniversary and according to them the secret is having their own space. They each have their own floor in the house. The husband has business in CR and is gone 2 weeks out of the month. It’s been like this for the past 30 years. She has her own circle of friends/activities that keeps her busy, and they have completely opposite interests. They spend 2 weeks out of the month doing things together and this works for them. 

Another couple is celebrating their 45th with a golf trip right now. Husband still working, wife retired. They spend all their time (his free time) together doing things they both enjoy - golfing, fishing, camping, etc. And that works for them.

So there really is no standard on how much time the couple needs to spend together to make a marriage work. It is whatever works for the couple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

A friend of mine just celebrated their 50th Anniversary and according to them the secret is having their own space. They each have their own floor in the house. The husband has business in CR and is gone 2 weeks out of the month. It’s been like this for the past 30 years. She has her own circle of friends/activities that keeps her busy, and they have completely opposite interests. They spend 2 weeks out of the month doing things together and this works for them. 

Another couple is celebrating their 45th with a golf trip right now. Husband still working, wife retired. They spend all their time (his free time) together doing things they both enjoy - golfing, fishing, camping, etc. And that works for them.

So there really is no standard on how much time the couple needs to spend together to make a marriage work. It is whatever works for the couple.

This what it's like for my wife and I. We just celebrated 50 years of togetherness (45 married) on August 2nd. 

We both had our own careers, which at times were quite time consuming. I was out building stuff, and she had her medical profession. In fact during the early stages in her medical career, we seldom saw each other. 

We also had two daughters we made time for. Their time was a priority for us.

My golf was my time, and charity work was her time. In between our personal, family, and work times, we made room for our own together time. I think we might have been one of the original "date nighters". 

Good times, bad times, we just did it. We made it work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Seems to me that just having your own expectations met in a relationship...any relationship...isn't a relationship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

This is pretty much spot on my wife. We've discussed the issue multiple times, but she still struggles with me leaving to do just about anything. That said, she is like that because a her first husband would leave her home alone constantly, so I take that into consideration when she gets upset. She does her best to not get on my case when I go golf, bowl, or whatever, and I do my best to keep the activities that require me to be gone to a reasonable amount. Marriage is a balance, each person needs to learn to give and take.

My question to the OP, is this increase in golfing a fairly new thing? If it is, it's entirely possible that it will pass. I have a tendency to go all in on things for a period of time, spending a lot of time doing it, then I get bored and move on. Outside of that, if things are really bad, I do echo what others have said about counseling.

 

First I would like to point out that my husband can do whatever he wants, I'm not the type of wife that tells him he can't do this or that, i have no problem with him even golfing, my problem is that he does it so much that I feel very alone as if I'm in this marriage by myself, when he spends more time with his friends playing golf almost every other day including his days off then that is definitely a problem, we use to go have dinner, movies, once a month ( and I was okay with that) there was no pressure, but now it's nothing- I get none of his time- I'm at the bottom of his list, I work, blessed with an amazing career, and wonderful friends. I only mentioned learning more about golf because he loves it so much, he studies it, watches videos about it, etc..if I'm working days, and he works nights and go straight to golfing after a few hours of sleep instead of having a moment with his wife then yeah, something is wrong here.  Maybe it is me, idk. 

Thank you all that's given your opinion, I'm considering a lot of things at the moment.  I will pray that GOD can show us the way back to each other- because I love my husband- he is my best friend 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

There may be a control issue or a power issue here.  Rarely are these things one-sided.

This was my thinking.  I am not sure we are the right context to get to the bottom of this, but there can be no hope of it without hearing the fellow speak his side.  I am still ticked at him about it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I disagree. A good marriage is built on time spent together. Like anything in life, there needs to be balance. I spend as much time as I can with my wife.

I just hope she looks better than mine, and doesn't nag as much !

2 hours ago, Lonely one said:

First I would like to point out that my husband can do whatever he wants, I'm not the type of wife that tells him he can't do this or that, i have no problem with him even golfing, my problem is that he does it so much that I feel very alone as if I'm in this marriage by myself, when he spends more time with his friends playing golf almost every other day including his days off then that is definitely a problem, we use to go have dinner, movies, once a month ( and I was okay with that) there was no pressure, but now it's nothing- I get none of his time- I'm at the bottom of his list, I work, blessed with an amazing career, and wonderful friends. I only mentioned learning more about golf because he loves it so much, he studies it, watches videos about it, etc..if I'm working days, and he works nights and go straight to golfing after a few hours of sleep instead of having a moment with his wife then yeah, something is wrong here.  Maybe it is me, idk. 

Thank you all that's given your opinion, I'm considering a lot of things at the moment.  I will pray that GOD can show us the way back to each other- because I love my husband- he is my best friend 

First of all I should point out that there is no God, and it's a complete myth. The concept of there being an almighty being up there somewhere was thought up by a bunch blokes a few thousand years ago who knew no better. Secondly, leave him alone and let him get on with what he enjoys. If he prefers time with his mates playing golf, go and get yourself a hobby. As couples get older they change and get wiser. I have to be honest, I much prefer spending time playing golf than I do with my wife, and in fact I think I prefer spending time at the dentist than I do with my wife. Please take into account though, I think I have been married over 100 years now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Patch said:

This what it's like for my wife and I. We just celebrated 50 years of togetherness (45 married) on August 2nd. 

We both had our own careers, which at times were quite time consuming. I was out building stuff, and she had her medical profession. In fact during the early stages in her medical career, we seldom saw each other. 

We also had two daughters we made time for. Their time was a priority for us.

My golf was my time, and charity work was her time. In between our personal, family, and work times, we made room for our own together time. I think we might have been one of the original "date nighters". 

Good times, bad times, we just did it. We made it work. 

Yeah, I have been married 38 years, and we have made it work. Doesn't stop us both hating each other though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lonely one said:

First I would like to point out that my husband can do whatever he wants, I'm not the type of wife that tells him he can't do this or that, i have no problem with him even golfing, my problem is that he does it so much that I feel very alone as if I'm in this marriage by myself, when he spends more time with his friends playing golf almost every other day including his days off then that is definitely a problem, we use to go have dinner, movies, once a month ( and I was okay with that) there was no pressure, but now it's nothing- I get none of his time- I'm at the bottom of his list, I work, blessed with an amazing career, and wonderful friends. I only mentioned learning more about golf because he loves it so much, he studies it, watches videos about it, etc..if I'm working days, and he works nights and go straight to golfing after a few hours of sleep instead of having a moment with his wife then yeah, something is wrong here.  Maybe it is me, idk. 

Thank you all that's given your opinion, I'm considering a lot of things at the moment.  I will pray that GOD can show us the way back to each other- because I love my husband- he is my best friend 

Are there things that you both enjoy. Try scheduling a "date". Dinner... Movie... Maybe a trip out of town?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2019 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Posts

    • Having played many, many rounds while under the influence of marijuana I can personally attest to it not being performance enhancing.  Against the rules?  Perhaps.  But not performance enhancing. Quite the opposite. Everyone reacts differently to being high, and while it may well reduce stress it also certainly reduces one's ability to focus.  Golf requires focus.  I'd get high and kick ass for about two holes, then be all over the place. I haven't used marijuana since moving to Florida because it's not legal here, and I don't have a qualifying medicinal reason to get a prescription.  I could of course make one up, because it's not like getting a prescription is difficult, but it's not such an important thing to me that I feel the need to go out of my way.  I personally don't see a difference between drinking or smoking beyond the legal aspect - both are personal decisions, and when used responsibly should be an individual's choice.
    • Heck, I will occasionally do this when playing with my wife.  I always feel like an ass when it happens, but she's a good soul and cuts me a break.
    • As others have said, playing a course from the correct tees makes golf a lot more fun. And it makes for more birdie and eagle opportunities. Heck playing from tees even a bit shorter than you need can be fun. I had two eagles in my last round. I played with some guys who like to play a yardage between the back tees and the middle tees. That made it easier to hit par the par 5s in two, and I did just that. Screw the ego, golf is supposed to be fun.
    • I carry Titleist Vokey wedges and have for many many years. I like that I don't have to think every time I replace them. It's easy. I just get the same specs as I've had before and I know what they are going to do. I nearly always get the previous year's model. Still brand new, but the previous year saves me about 40% off the cost.  Anyway, lately I've seen a number of folks I've played with who carry the Callaway PM Grind wedges, which have grooves all over their face. Taylormade hi-toe wedges have that feature as well. I don't know if it actually makes any difference, but to my mind it totally makes sense to put the groves all over the face. It actually makes me wonder why all wedges aren't made that way.  Anyone have any thoughts about this. Why do most manufacturers leave the toe of the wedge "ungrooved"? Does it really help to have the whole face covered in groves?  On a related note, does anyone play a Hi-Toe wedge? Seems like a good idea as well, especially for lob wedges, 60 degree and the like. Seems like it would give you more surface from which to hit a shot when trying to take a bigger swing. I don't use my lob wedge that way, but it seems like it would help if I did. 
    • Offended?  No.  Annoyed?  Absolutely. I played an event in 2015.  It was my first event with this group and I unknowingly got paired with the hothead.  You know the guy.  "I used to be a 1 index!"  Now he's unable to break 90.   First hole, he hits an 'awful' drive (it landed 4 feet in the rough) and complains about it all the way to the ball.  The pin is tucked in the back-right corner of the green behind a trap.  He hits a shot about 35 feet left of the flag at the center of the green.  A good, smart shot.  He proceeds to fling his 7 iron approximately 40 yards into the fairway.   Later in the round, he hits a second shot on a par 5 that he tugged a little bit.  He got a little unlucky and it hit the cart path and kicked it to the left.  The ball came to rest in play, but near a log that, if he moved it... the ball would move as well.  He took an unplayable, chopped the ball forward a bit with his wedge and then proceeded to use his wedge as a hatchet on the log.  About his 8th smash of the wedge, the head snapped off.   Par 3 later in the round, he missed a 10 footer.  He tossed his putter in the air and let it fall to the ground.  The blade of the putter buried itself in the green about 4 feet from the hole.  He attempted to repair it, but it was evident that there was damage and SOMEONE was going to have to putt through his tantrum later in the round.   I wasn't offended by any of his actions.  A 50 year old acting like a petulant toddler?  His problem... not mine.  I was annoyed by his antics, however.   I've told this story before, but... when I was a caddie back in high school at a local country club, I had a guest of a member fling his club over a fence that bordered a local hospital.  This was on the 10th hole.  He was pissed that he hit a poor shot, so he reared back and let it fly.  It cleared the fence.  I looked at him in disbelief.  He told me to climb the fence and get the club.  I put his bag down, apologized to the member and walked back to the caddie master and told him what happened.  Shortly after, the member and his guest arrived back at the caddie area where the member paid me for the full round, tipped me nicely, took my side with the caddie master and then told his guest he'd not be welcomed back any time soon.   Throwing clubs is not acceptable and it IS poor etiquette.  The word is literally defined as: "The customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group." I don't see how throwing clubs and having a tantrum on the course can be deemed anything but IMPOLITE.   CY
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Nevsteve
      Nevsteve
      (60 years old)
    2. Pab4141
      Pab4141
      (26 years old)
    3. rdpoffenberger
      rdpoffenberger
      (34 years old)
    4. Salem Golfer
      Salem Golfer
      (54 years old)
    5. stothemc
      stothemc
      (36 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...