IGNORED

High School Golf

The Flush
Note: This thread is 1433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I read an article about my son's team's first 18 hole invitational tournament.  There was one team with only 2 players with only 1 breaking 100 and another team with only 3 players and all 3 shot over 100. There were 5 individuals to break 80, out of probably 30 players. My son's team had the individual medalist with a 73, and then a 90, 94, 105 to finish 5th overall (although one the better players was on vacation - school doesn't start until next week).

I talked to our coach recently and he said that the new athletic facility the school is building is supposed to include a golf simulator. He is hoping it will help draw some interest in the team and help those already interested to work on their swing during our usually rotten spring weather.  I assume an administrator is an avid golfer and wants to work on his own game.  Scary part is is that my son looks to be the best returning player for next year as all the other half decent players are seniors.

What we really need around here is a better youth program to get kids into the game.

War Eagle!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I understand correctly, the high school leagues around here penalize/provide relief for all lost balls and out of bounds balls as if they were in a later water hazard. 1 stroke penalty with a drop within 2 club lengths of where it went OB or was thought to be lost. Or maybe even some combination of lateral hazard rules and the new lost ball rule where you can take it back to the fairway.  It is quite possible that I misunderstood what I was told. 

Is something like this common in high school golf?

War Eagle!

I will get a first hand look at hs golf this season. 

My Granddaughter, just out of the blue, join the team. She can putt, chip, and pitch sort of ok, so she is not totally inexperience about the game. 

I don't know who the coach is, or what his history teaching golf is. I might already know him, since it's a small town, and most of the local golfers know each other. 

When we get back from this current road trip we are on, I am already scheduled to go "golf shopping" with the youngster. Right now her coach has let her use his daughter's set of clubs, and also a trolley. 

My biggest fear for my Granddaughter is the possibility of having too much on her plate. She's taking some pretty tough classes. (she wants get into the medical field)  She also made the freshman cheerleading squad. Now she is going to give the game of golf a shot.

Her school stuff starts at 7am, and ends around 5pm. On a fine gesture by her two coaches, (cheer/golf) they have agreed to stagger her practices between the two. 

G-Ma and I believe there might be some sister rivalry going on here. Her older sister played soccer, and was also on the cheer squad. That youngster recieved her Associates Degree (science) before she recieved her HS Diploma. 

It will be fun to watch this Granddaughter's journey into young adulthood. . 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, The Flush said:

If I understand correctly, the high school leagues around here penalize/provide relief for all lost balls and out of bounds balls as if they were in a later water hazard. 1 stroke penalty with a drop within 2 club lengths of where it went OB or was thought to be lost. Or maybe even some combination of lateral hazard rules and the new lost ball rule where you can take it back to the fairway.  It is quite possible that I misunderstood what I was told.

This?

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/golfs-new-rules-stroke-and-distance.html

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Students scoring low 40s or less are good the others just play. If there are 6 players scoring 40-ish then that’s generally the varsity team. Some get scratch or better, some stay the same.

They should just enjoy the game as it was intended...team scores under 200 are really good. Over 300 they’re at least having fun. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, The Flush said:

Yes, but they only penalize 1 stroke instead of 2, more like a lateral hazard.

They should just penalize two. Then they'd actually be playing golf.

Instead, they're not playing golf, nor are they preparing their golfers to play actual golf. Literally nothing would have to be different except the number of strokes written down.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 hours ago, iacas said:

They should just penalize two. Then they'd actually be playing golf.

Instead, they're not playing golf, nor are they preparing their golfers to play actual golf. Literally nothing would have to be different except the number of strokes written down.

I agree and that's how my son and I play when we play together.  Dwindling daylight with fall afternoon matches and the pace of play with some lesser skilled players almost requires using the new rule instead of stroke and distance, but it should be 2 strokes instead of 1. I think this playing lost/OB balls as if in a lateral hazard predates the new rule by a while and they just don't want to change. However the last time I looked the OHSAA says they play by USGA rules.  I am unaware anything different in writing.

Spectators are officially allowed around here, but the players (not coach) on my son's team discourage spectators and I respect their wishes. Plus being employed gets in the way too.  Other teams embrace it and have a lot of family watching them play. It seems to vary by conference. Are there many spectators at HS matches around the country?

War Eagle!

The OHSAA's Golf Coaches Guide actually doesn't reference anything here except the old stroke and distance rule. Of course, maybe they simply haven't updated what's online.

https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Golf/gomanual.pdf

Ball Lost or Out of Bounds; Provisional Ball (Rule 18) Check the local rules on the score card or Rules sheet to identify the boundaries of the course. These are normally defined by fences, walls, white stakes or white lines.

If your ball is lost outside a penalty area or out of bounds you must play another ball from the spot where the last shot was played, under penalty of one stroke, (i.e., stroke and distance). You are allowed 3 minutes to search for a ball. If it is not found within 3 minutes, it is lost. (Rule 18.2a)

If, after playing a shot, you think your ball may be lost outside a penalty area or be out of bounds, you should play a provisional ball. When playing a provisional ball, you must announce and clearly indicate that you are going to play a provisional ball. (Rule 18.3b)

The player may continue to play the provisional ball without it losing its status as a provisional ball so long as it is played from a spot that is the same distance or farther from the hole than where the original ball is estimated to be (Rule 18.3c). This is true even if the provisional ball is played several times.

If the original ball is lost (other than in a penalty area) or out of bounds, you must continue with the provisional ball, under penalty of one stroke. If the original ball is found in bounds, you must continue play of the hole with it, and must stop playing the provisional ball.

8 hours ago, The Flush said:

Spectators are officially allowed around here, but the players (not coach) on my son's team discourage spectators and I respect their wishes. Plus being employed gets in the way too.  Other teams embrace it and have a lot of family watching them play. It seems to vary by conference. Are there many spectators at HS matches around the country?

Around here? No, mainly because of when they play and sometimes the distances.

I used to catch the last couple holes when they play our home course.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well this golf coach is actually a one handicap and doesn't drive a van (SUV). However I don't have any boys to coach this year because none came out for the team. In the past, we have had spectators come out and watch. I never discouraged any parents/family from coming out and watching their kids play. I don't know why you would? 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Well this golf coach is actually a one handicap and doesn't drive a van (SUV). However I don't have any boys to coach this year because none came out for the team. In the past, we have had spectators come out and watch. I never discouraged any parents/family from coming out and watching their kids play. I don't know why you would? 

The "van driver" name comes not from the personal car, but the van the school gives them to drive the kids to golf matches. I'm sure you knew that, though.

I'm a "van driver" for the college kids, even. And more, but they give me a van to drive.

On 8/20/2019 at 5:49 PM, Patch said:

I will get a first hand look at hs golf this season. 

My Granddaughter, just out of the blue, join the team. She can putt, chip, and pitch sort of ok, so she is not totally inexperience about the game. 

I don't know who the coach is, or what his history teaching golf is. I might already know him, since it's a small town, and most of the local golfers know each other. 

When we get back from this current road trip we are on, I am already scheduled to go "golf shopping" with the youngster. Right now her coach has let her use his daughter's set of clubs, and also a trolley. 

My biggest fear for my Granddaughter is the possibility of having too much on her plate. She's taking some pretty tough classes. (she wants get into the medical field)  She also made the freshman cheerleading squad. Now she is going to give the game of golf a shot.

Her school stuff starts at 7am, and ends around 5pm. On a fine gesture by her two coaches, (cheer/golf) they have agreed to stagger her practices between the two. 

G-Ma and I believe there might be some sister rivalry going on here. Her older sister played soccer, and was also on the cheer squad. That youngster recieved her Associates Degree (science) before she recieved her HS Diploma. 

It will be fun to watch this Granddaughter's journey into young adulthood. . 

My daughter had to quit golf when she was taking 6 AP classes at a time starting Junior year...

School first! Specific ethnicities need to overload just to keep up and get into a decent University... its really tough. Best wishes on her game and most importantly, schooling.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I am not sure how it will affect my son, but he is taking all of his classes at a local university (College Credit Plus), instead of at high school.  At a minimum he will have to drive himself to some of the matches instead of riding the bus. His schedule and location of the college and the matches could make him miss or be late for some matches. 

War Eagle!

I heard something interesting yesterday and I wonder if other places do this. The middle school down the street from me has a golf team. They also have a soccer team, flag football, a track team and a cross country team.

Apparently there are more sports coming too. The bottom line is, as long as it comes close as possible to requiring no money to be spent by the school for anything but transportation, they will let the kids organize it.

Obviously, in the case of golf, the kids have their own equipment. So, the school, or maybe it's the teacher/advisor, just makes arrangements with the course. From what I heard, the courses generally let the kids play their 9 hole matches free and they give the coaches a cart to ride around in.

Are middle schools doing this anywhere else?

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

Our school had a junior high team for 1 season, but for some reason they did not or were not able to do it again. We could use it again.

War Eagle!

On 8/21/2019 at 10:01 AM, The Flush said:

If I understand correctly, the high school leagues around here penalize/provide relief for all lost balls and out of bounds balls as if they were in a later water hazard.

What a wonderful way for youngsters to learn to think that they shot 40 for a 9 rather than 46. 

I remember reading in one of Harvey Penick's books how a kid hit a shot onto the green and his father said "I'll give you that" and proudly went and told Penick that his son had had his first birdie. When asked about the circumstances, Penick listened patiently and said "Sorry, but junior has not had his first birdie yet."

I just recieved my first, personal association with H.S.. Golf. 

My GDaughter sent me info on a night tournament her highschool team is sponsoring. She needs to fill out a team of four @ $100.00 each. There are 8 young ladies on their team. These Ladies, with supervision, will not play, but will manage the entire event. 

The $100.00 includes the 18 hole golf play, glow ball(s), dinner, non alcohol beverages, assorted other golf games with in the game, mulligans, and raffles. Extra raffle, and mulligan tickets can be purchased for $2.00 each. (another $100.00 most likely)

Obviously I am in, and have already told others in our "old guys" golfing group that I expect them register for this soiree too. We always support each other's ppersonal endeavors.  Probably will be 8-9 guys contacting my GDaughter for entry. 

I was some what surprised at this event being being front, and center, before any actual team play. I understand the need to generate monies for traveling league play, and equipment as needed. I just thought we would see a playing schedule first.

Another thing that surprised me was the fact that these young Ladies will also be graded as to how well they run this tournament. They will learn, in addition to a golf swing, some of the things that go on,  managing a golf course/tournament. I just thought it was solely going to be a competion thing against other teams their division. The youngsters are going to learn more about the golf game, than just playing it.  I like this added concept. 

• Like 2

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!