IGNORED

High School Golf

The Flush
Note: This thread is 1433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Our kids can play for free any time and get free range balls (if they go pick them up first).  The home course is not too crowded (because it is not very nice), so there is not an issue with playing through.  I don't think that many kids go out and play on their own anyway.  

My son prefers to play at another course, so we got him a membership there. Next year I will get him a membership a different (better) course that has a better deal ($150 for weekdays plus after 2 on weekdays) and is close to my office so we can play after I get off work. This course is more walkable and actually has sand and water which the home course does not have.  It will be more like the competition courses. 

War Eagle!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wasn't able to attend my son's last HS tournament of the season. He shot a 94 to tie for 30th out of 60 golfers. This was only his second time to play this course with the first time being 2 days ago.  He said after the practice round that it was a harder course than the course they usually play, so shooting at or better than his average is not too bad.  Unfortunately his score was the second best on the team, which finished in 8th place. Only the top team advances from each district, so the team did not qualify for the state tournament.  However the #1 on his team shot a 77 to finished 2nd and qualified for state based on being the best individual not on the 1st place team.

This was a good experience for him and we will see how hard he wants to work on improvement for next year.

War Eagle!

20 minutes ago, The Flush said:

This was a good experience for him and we will see how hard he wants to work on improvement for next year.

Not too shabby for someone that had only just started. Hope he had fun.

Is he going to Columbus to watch his teammate? 

10 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Not too shabby for someone that had only just started. Hope he had fun.

Is he going to Columbus to watch his teammate? 

I don't know.  I am sure he would like to, but he is taking all his classes this year through the college credit plus program at a local university and has already missed 3 days for golf and another for a doctor's appointment. He will have to see if he can afford to miss more.  Heck, I would like to go too.

War Eagle!

While at last nights football game, during her 1/2 time break from cheerleading, I asked my Granddaughter when her next golf match was. "Not till next Spring I think" was her answer. 

Apparently her school's golf season only last for 8 weeks in the Fall, and few weeks before Summer break, which kind of surprised me. I thought this gig would last longer into the year.  

Her end of season numbers were average at best, per her own assessment. She played in half (4) her scheduled eight tournaments, while averaging 50.6 strokes per 9 holes. Her best 9 hole round was a 48.  Still pretty decent for her, since this was a spur of the moment decision on her part to go out for the team in the first place. 

Her best take away from this first season is that she still wants to persue this game. That she wanted to work on her game to be a stronger player next year. That she liked the challenge of of the game. This, made me a happy old man. 

We will work on her game at her own schedule. Our local course has a decent club pro who also works with youngsters. He can help her get to green from the tee box, and I can help her with the short game, and putting. 

After reflecting on what I thought was a really short golf season, I think it is for the best. We were concerned that with her cheer programs where their 17 member team travels to compete with other programs, which requires many after school hours of practice, that adding golf, was a bit of a full plate for her.   

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator

Natalie had her District championship Thursday and today. The way they do things here, the individual competition is a two-day, 36-hole competition. The team competition is one day, and the best 3 out of 5 scores count.

So Natalie shot 77, 79 to win her individual championship (AAA) by one and move on to regionals, and her team won by like 60 on Thursday to also move on.

She'll compete as an individual at a course named Tom's Run and at Regionals at a course she's pretty familiar with: Treasure Lake.

FullSizeRender-1.jpegFullSizeRender.jpegimagejpeg_0-2.jpg

• Like 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Natalie had her District championship Thursday and today. The way they do things here, the individual competition is a two-day, 36-hole competition. The team competition is one day, and the best 3 out of 5 scores count.

So Natalie shot 77, 79 to win her individual championship (AAA) by one and move on to regionals, and her team won by like 60 on Thursday to also move on.

She'll compete as an individual at a course named Tom's Run and at Regionals at a course she's pretty familiar with: Treasure Lake.

FullSizeRender-1.jpegFullSizeRender.jpegimagejpeg_0-2.jpg

Awesome! Congrats to Natalie! That’s gotta feel so good!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Yep, HS state tourney going on at Ohio State's Scarlet Course and Grey Course this Friday and Saturday. Our area has a few teams and some individuals qualified for play. They were doing well after Friday's rounds. Saturday had rain during the night and into the morning, so I don't know how the second round went. I'll check the paper tomorrow to see what happened. 

49 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Yep, HS state tourney going on at Ohio State's Scarlet Course and Grey Course this Friday and Saturday. Our area has a few teams and some individuals qualified for play. They were doing well after Friday's rounds. Saturday had rain during the night and into the morning, so I don't know how the second round went. I'll check the paper tomorrow to see what happened. 

Results are here.

2019 Boys & Girls Golf State Tournaments Coverage

My son's team's #1 player qualified for the Division II tournament for the second time, but didn't play his best.  He shot 85-88 to finish T42 of 72. It is a tough tournament to even qualify for.  The winner shot 72-78 to beat 3 others by 1. The best team had 4 players in the top 12.  That's a pretty stacked team.

War Eagle!

• 7 months later...

This is a very interesting thread, because I am hoping to make the move to high school.  Currently, I teach eighth grade, and the high school that we feed into has a volunteer from the community coaching the girls' team, so I'm thinking that I might be able to get a job over there for the 2021-2022 school year.  It's not ideal, as it would still be a pretty long commute, but I feel like it would be an opportunity to get my foot in the door at a place where the expectations are not too high, and gain some experience. 

The school I would be at is not competitive in girls' golf, whereas the girls' programs in the end of the county where we live tend to be competing for regional and/or state titles on a regular basis.  I can't imagine any of these schools would turn the keys to the program over to a novice coach.  Furthermore, the middle school where I teach, and the high school it feeds into, are both Title I schools, so the kids probably aren't taking lessons, which means if I do have the opportunity to actually coach, I won't be stepping on any professional toes.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Note: This thread is 1433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!