IGNORED

What Do You Do When You Have a Bad Round?

3Mulligans
Note: This thread is 1716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Please read the OP  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

I often feel like bailing after the third 7 in a row. But I remind myself that I need the practice and try to tough it out.

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Even if I have a bad shot, I try to focus on the next shot.   I think of the challenge to hit good shots and try to forget the previous shot, good or bad.   I've never abandoned a round and hopefully never will.   Golf is a challenge but still a game.  I don't quit cribbage in the middle of the game if I'm losing, I want another one to try and win.   Believe me, I've had bad rounds but when I get home and analyze the round, it turns into a learning experience and I try to take something positive away from a bad round.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

it still beats a day working in the office.

Sadly, no.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, TN94z said:

it still beats a day working in the office.

Sadly, no.

What?   No way!  The only thing worse than working ...........   nothing! (jk)   It's nice you enjoy your job.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, Adio said:

Quitting is never an option.  It’s chicken s&@t.  I used to play with a guy that was better than me.  The occasional times that I had him on the ropes and would have beat him, he would quit(usually with a lame physical excuse or mystery phone call from his “wife”).  Needless to say , we don’t golf together anymore. 

Well to clarify, I play by myself. I'd never leave if I was playing with someone. Further, I usually play every day at noon, so I'm right back the next day. 

Quit?

Good grief, it’s just a round of golf...!

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I always keep playing. This reminds me of the podcast of late for me, "Chasing Scratch". If you haven't checked it out, go for it if you have time for that kind of thing. Basically 2 guys start at 11 hdcp and try to get to scratch in 15 months....to be continued. The struggles they go through are quite similar. High entertainment value and some decent golf stuff in there too.

Edited by Bonvivant
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

I put it behind me and carry on.  By the next round I've forgotten all about it.  As much as I enjoy the game...it isn't important enough to get bent out of shape over.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Try and learn what I did wrong. Try not to address issues not make same mistakes again. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

14 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Usually when my round turns to hell I’m asked to leave. It’s just better for those around. 

Damn. You've been posting doom and gloom a lot lately. You still playing? 

7 hours ago, David in FL said:

Quit?

Good grief, it’s just a round of golf...!

+1

Don't remember quitting other than when my left forearm pain rears every now and then (old injury).

Vishal S.

Keep playing. I used to just give up and finish the round by just whacking the ball around, not really caring. A number of months ago, after starting with 3 doubles, and starting to give up, I all of a sudden had a birdie, then another and now I was back in the game. It was a life changer, never give up! You never know what the rest of the round will give you. On those terrible days, I just think to myself, handicap adjustment day.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

I almost never play on my own, and I won't quit and leave my friends.  I try my best not to allow my poor play to put me into a poor mood.  Golf is a challenge, we don't always succeed at challenges, but I CAN succeed at the challenge of controlling my emotions and behavior.  If I can do that, its fun, no matter how poorly I play.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

15 hours ago, 3Mulligans said:

What do you do when you're playing really good golf for a long stretch and you go out one day and stink it up -- almost like you've never played before? 

Do you:

A. Play through it no matter how bad it gets

B. Pack it up after a few holes so that you can put it out of mind

I had one of those days today. I've been playing at about an 8 handicap for a while and today out of nowhere I couldn't hit a golf ball straight. I play about 3-4 times a week. At first I decided to play through it, but when it didn't get better I left after about 6-7 holes.

How do you handle those types of outings?

Your experience of golf is obviously very different to mine. Having a bad round is the norm for me, and having a good one is pretty rare these days. The most important thing is getting the exercise, having some good company, and some vicious banter. If I stopped playing every time I was having a bad round, I would only get to play 18 holes a few times a year. 

Edited by Mr Puddle

- Simon Hornsby

Quitting is never on the table as a choice for me when I'm having a bad round. I love competition and the thrill of trying to improve my handicap and play my best but some days when everything is off I'm still happy to be out enjoying everything that a golf course has to offer.

:titleist:

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

Damn. You've been posting doom and gloom a lot lately. You still playing? 

Lol...yeah I’m out there. I have to appease the Gods and can’t make statements like, ‘ what a great round’ or ‘ I’m really hitting it nicely.’ It’s only doom and gloom for others to imagine...it’s just my regular golf life reality. My last few rounds were positive and I’ll leave it at that.😀

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

If I'm playing the home courses alone, I'll occasionally rack it after nine. With my membership, my greens fee is $5 whether I play 9 or 18.

Anywhere else, I'll play on, but the scorecard is usually turned to confetti at a certain point. It's happened a bit too much this painful year. Like last weekend.

7 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I always keep playing. This reminds me of the podcast of late for me, "Chasing Scratch". If you haven't checked it out, go for it if you have time for that kind of thing. Basically 2 guys start at 11 hdcp and try to get to scratch in 15 months....to be continued. The struggles they go through are quite similar. High entertainment value and some decent golf stuff in there too.

Scratch in 15 months from an 11? Sounds like the potential for a very frustrating 15 months... 🤪🤪😁😂

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 1716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!