IGNORED

My Swing (Double_AA)

Double_AA

On 12/4/2020 at 6:48 PM, Double_AA said:

I’m going to try hitting balls while restricting hip turn in the backswing tomorrow. It looks like I am rotating them way too far at the top of my backswing. I think it will help my sequence coming back down. 

Hip turn-I find if I concentrate on starting the back swing and downswing with my hips, less mechanical things go wrong. Especially on the downswing. It feels (I know, feel ain't real) like my hands and arms drop down and have a clear path through. More in to out. My ball flight is just more consistent.

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, Double_AA said:

Been working on takeaway recently since that’s about all I can do with the onset of snow 👎🏻. I think I may have stumbled on something. Look at the video from 7/4/20, this is when I was hitting the ball the best all year.  
Next look at this video from 8/20/20. 
It looks like the worse swing is happening when my face is too closed down at parallel. I have a few other videos that I can see this in but they aren’t in slow motion. Thoughts? Wondering if I should practice having the toe more up at first parallel  

The thing I noticed in face on that also showed dtl is not getting a lot of weight forward and hip turn at impact. With the armsy swing, many things could get out of sequence. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

3 hours ago, phillyk said:

The thing I noticed in face on that also showed dtl is not getting a lot of weight forward and hip turn at impact. With the armsy swing, many things could get out of sequence. 

Dang that sucks to hear. Thought I was past the armsy swing. Lol. I feel like I’m transferring my weight too much if anything kind of like a lunge before I even finished getting all the way back. I see what you are saying though which means I’m way off. 

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 9
3-Wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 
Irons: Titleist AP3 4-Pw

Wedges: 48,52,56 Titleist vokey
Putter: Scotty Select Newport 

19 minutes ago, Double_AA said:

Dang that sucks to hear. Thought I was past the armsy swing. Lol. I feel like I’m transferring my weight too much if anything kind of like a lunge before I even finished getting all the way back. I see what you are saying though which means I’m way off. 

The backswing, you lean a little bit to the trail side (watch the light near your head and the panel behind your hips).  The downswing, you move back to the lead side a bit.  I like that you almost have that hold off motion in the follow through, though; it has good extension.  Imo, start with the steady head and centered turn on the back swing.

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

5 hours ago, phillyk said:

The backswing, you lean a little bit to the trail side (watch the light near your head and the panel behind your hips).  The downswing, you move back to the lead side a bit.  I like that you almost have that hold off motion in the follow through, though; it has good extension.  Imo, start with the steady head and centered turn on the back swing.

The centered turn is eluding to me. My instructor advocated setting up putting 90% of my weight on my left leg then tilting my shoulders to the right until my weight was even. This made it hard for me to picture a centered turn with so much side tilt at address. When I do a centered pivot without the crazy tilt I can feel the weight transfer into my right foot however my pro said I am in a reverse pivot. I prefer turning back in a “centered” fashion but I’m not sure if it causes me to reverse pivot or if I even have a reverse pivot issue. 

On 11/10/2020 at 3:05 PM, Double_AA said:

3 hours ago, Double_AA said:

The centered turn is eluding to me. My instructor advocated setting up putting 90% of my weight on my left leg then tilting my shoulders to the right until my weight was even. This made it hard for me to picture a centered turn with so much side tilt at address. When I do a centered pivot without the crazy tilt I can feel the weight transfer into my right foot however my pro said I am in a reverse pivot. I prefer turning back in a “centered” fashion but I’m not sure if it causes me to reverse pivot or if I even have a reverse pivot issue. 

The swing from 11/10/20 looks to be centered with little head movement. Were you doing the 90% weight and lean there? Lower body looks centered at set up.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

9 hours ago, phillyk said:

The swing from 11/10/20 looks to be centered with little head movement. Were you doing the 90% weight and lean there? Lower body looks centered at set up.

No sir, I had abandoned that setup move at that point. Those swings were following a couple hours of feet together & punch shot drills. 

I pretty much did these drills for a week then played a couple times and contact sucked so I went back to the setup position advised by the pro as you can see on 12/4/20.

I thought I was hitting it well on 11/10/20 because my wrists magically started hinging correctly...stupid LOL, but I think what you see as being the difference makes much more sense. Therefore, I thank you and I know exactly what I need to get back to working on (feet together drills/ centered backswing pivot).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 11:06 PM, phillyk said:

Just an update I have been working on staying centered in my backswing. I have attached a video showing my sway, reverse pivot, and then the backswing I’ve been doing. My biggest feel in this backswing is turning my shoulders on a steeper angle; getting the left shoulder pointed more toward the ground. It looks like I may be losing some height doing this and coincidentally I do hit some fat shots if I rush. I am making much more consistent contact though with this and I’ve managed to put up a few rounds back down in the 80’s in the last couple weeks. 

2 hours ago, Double_AA said:

Just an update I have been working on staying centered in my backswing. I have attached a video showing my sway, reverse pivot, and then the backswing I’ve been doing. My biggest feel in this backswing is turning my shoulders on a steeper angle; getting the left shoulder pointed more toward the ground. It looks like I may be losing some height doing this and coincidentally I do hit some fat shots if I rush. I am making much more consistent contact though with this and I’ve managed to put up a few rounds back down in the 80’s in the last couple weeks. 

Don’t worry about backswing length as much. Focus on the turn and do it slower in your drills. Focus on how your hips, shoulders and arms feel when done properly. It looks much better.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Looked good in the video.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Working away at key #1 steady head. Helping a good bit with contact. I’ve also decided I’m going to put in a lot of chipping / pitching work this year to try and get consistent sub 90s. Here are some swing videos of 6i and driver. . Also a pitch swing with 9i. Trying to hit PW, 48, and 52 to 100 yards instead of a full 56 which never works out  

Edited by iacas
embedded videos
  • Thumbs Up 1

Range session today. Trying to keep my elbows close and stop over swinging, with my arms staying more in front of my chest. While also not swaying lol. I just can’t shake this over extended backswing into a flippy release swing. I have days where I know I don’t flip but I can’t ingrain whatever is going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to set up with my butt more tucked. Not easy to do at all. Seemed to help if my Chin was more tucking to my chest? A pro told me it would help me stop early extending. Still fighting the sway in the backswing. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Early extension fixed I think. (Pro says butt is staying on line but I’m pulling my head back due to club face being open -flip)

Hip sway on backswing fixed

Wide open club face at parallel before impact not fixed. Pro has me working to keep club outside of hands on takeaway. Looks like I’m accomplishing that but doesn’t seem to help the club face. Also if I try to bow my wrist at the top I just hit a smother hook. Not sure what to do the flip remains. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally got out to play today. Went pretty well, I was finally making good contact. I’ve been trying to feel like my tailbone moves over toward my left heel. Proper hip turn feels pretty drastic but gives much more time to square the face vs swaying on the way back. It feels like I am doing way more hip turn than I actually am. Here is a video showing that. 

The only issue I was having today was some over drawing. But man this looks like a giant improvement, more in sync, more shaft lean at impact. I still look like I’m over-swinging some but I like where this is headed. I think lol. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Swinging away...

• Thumbs Up 2

Alright guys I need some help here... as you can see with the blast of videos I’ve been putting in a ton of work to get rid of swing flaws. Still can’t get rid of my lunge and cast on the downswing. 

then I run across the monte “no turn cast drill”. Did it this morning and just pured ball after ball. It literally just feels like I’m swinging all arms and flipping my wrists. Does this look better than my big turn attempt at a technical swing??? I’m about to stop all that and just do this if so... I mean it sure is a lot easier to consistently do. Just don’t want to take off in the wrong direction and throw a bunch of work away. Any input would be greatly appreciated 🙂

p.s. sorry @iacas this video is refusing to embed for some reason

I would recommend working on this with a shorter swing until you get it down. There are two threads I can think of that can help. Start with half swings and film to see if your hands stay in front of the head at impact and keep rotating your hips and shoulder through impact. Then work up to longer swings.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave