Quietus

Are Oversized Irons a Crutch?

23 posts / 1669 viewsLast Reply

If they are usga approved, and you like using the older, larger headed irons, then I say go for it. 

I played 18 holes today using a a set of (12 irons)15+ year super game improvement irons. Had a great time, and shot a good score, on a quality course. 

As for being a crurch, all any golf club does is what the golfer's swing allows it to do. 

Good swings hit good shots. Poor swings hit not so good shots. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

19 hours ago, RussUK said:

Anyway, an oversized golfing iron is much more of a walking stick than a crutch.

On a serious note, if someone came up with a club with the head the size of a dinner plate and it turned me into a golfing god i'd play it, even if i did look a complete bell-end using it.

I used a 6 iron as a cane after my knee surgery. 😁

IMHO, no.  Not a crutch. The sweet spot will roughly be the same. Oversized are great too use for beginners as it will make the game more enjoyable because of the forgiveness on off centered hits, which will make you want to golf more. As your game progresses, if you are serious, you will find center more often.  This may be just me but I find shaft to be more important than the heads. Helps with tempo and dispearsion.  The more you play the easier it will be to find center. 

On 8/16/2019 at 10:25 PM, JGus said:

Just another way (British way) to say looking stupid or foolish.

Thank you. 

I once ran into another phrase used by a woman from Australia who said their furnace "spit the dummy" a few days ago. I didn't know what that phrase meant either. She explained it to me.