golfer2b2000

Life of a Titleist Pro V

12 posts / 935 viewsLast Reply

I have been playing this ball since they came out. When I was able to launch this ball 275 yards I felt that there was a definite great feeling of confidence hitting this ball. My iron shots to the greens usually held quite well, and believe it or not, even putting this ball was a feeling of confidence.

I am now 65 years old, and am still playing this ball, even though my carry yardage on my drives have shrunk to just a little over 210 yards. If I do not lose a ball, it seems like I can get probably over 10 rounds on it easily. Probably the only reason that I change the ball is because of the appearance of it.

My question is, am I overextending the playability of this ball?? I do notice sometimes that the distance it travels may be a bit shorter, but then I follow it up with a nice iron shot. So I keep playing it.

Any advice???

Thank you

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Good God, I have no earthly idea what you mean.  The life of a prov1 in my bag is an average of four holes after I put it in a tee.

It sounds to me like the question is “do scuffed balls work as well?”

I betcha they don’t.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, golfer2b2000 said:

I have been playing this ball since they came out. When I was able to launch this ball 275 yards I felt that there was a definite great feeling of confidence hitting this ball. My iron shots to the greens usually held quite well, and believe it or not, even putting this ball was a feeling of confidence.

I am now 65 years old, and am still playing this ball, even though my carry yardage on my drives have shrunk to just a little over 210 yards. If I do not lose a ball, it seems like I can get probably over 10 rounds on it easily. Probably the only reason that I change the ball is because of the appearance of it.

My question is, am I overextending the playability of this ball?? I do notice sometimes that the distance it travels may be a bit shorter, but then I follow it up with a nice iron shot. So I keep playing it.

Any advice???

Thank you

I think you’re putting a little too much ‘DeChambeau’ into it. Play it until it’s visually damaged. Or switch to Snell and get just as good performance and save money.😃

6 hours ago, golfer2b2000 said:

I do notice sometimes that the distance it travels may be a bit shorter, but then I follow it up with a nice iron shot. So I keep playing it.

Any advice???

This has nothing to do with the ball.

Scuffed golf balls were the original distance ball.  Keep playing it till you lose it.  

I'll play it until the dimples start wearing off or I lose it, whichever comes first. If I don't lose it, it goes in the shag bag.

I'm pretty much same boat as the OP - use the Pro V until its scuffed up and then into the shag bag. Most of my rounds are on a course without cart paths so I can get 5 - 10 rounds before its retired. 

5 hours ago, RWC said:

I'm pretty much same boat as the OP - use the Pro V until its scuffed up and then into the shag bag. Most of my rounds are on a course without cart paths so I can get 5 - 10 rounds before its retired. 

I have to admit, I’m awfully impressed by anyone who routinely plays 5-10 rounds without losing a ball!

Edited by David in FL

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

I have to admit, I’m awfully impressed by anyone who routinely plays 5-10 rounds without losing a ball!

Maybe it's just that we're both in Florida, but I really agree with this. I played horribly last Friday morning, but I got around 9 holes with 1 ball. Lately, that's been rare for me.

i don't play Pro V balls, preferring something more like the Titleist Tour Soft, but that's not the point. The sandy soil at the courses I play in Miami can take the shine off a ball after a couple rounds. The performance is probably still like new, but the distraction of the damaged cover just gets to me, so that ball goes in my shag bag.

Edited by DennisMiller

It's all a bit mind-numbing to think of the idea of hitting the same ball for that many rounds.

For me this season has been a one-man ball holocaust. The lucky ones get a header into a tree. The rest lie at the bottom of Davy Jones's locker.

5-10 rounds is quite a bit. I have no idea what the playability of any ball is after 90-180 holes of play. 

I would assume the price of a PV-1 would make it logical to get as many holes out of one, as the golfer can get. 

I ve gone 54 holes with one ball before. That however, was because I was playing really good golf, and didn't want to change anything I was doing, or using. 

Most of the time I play my gamers 18 holes. After 18 holes, they become extras in my bag. Once I get too msny "extras", I cull a bunch into a shag bag, or shag stick .