IGNORED

Bryson Takes 2:15 to Miss an Eight Foot Putt

iacas
Note: This thread is 1670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

36 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I hear a lot of people calling him names and I read a lot of people calling him D-bag and the like. It kind of bothers me. I have a really good friend who suffers from OCD and granted it can be annoying, by the same token my friend isn't trying to be annoying. 

I agree he should have been penalized. But I remember seeing an interview with him a couple years ago when he was explaining that he truly does suffer from OCD. In his normal life it can be somewhat debilitating, on the golf course it can be brutal. But he also mentioned that the only way he feels he can play golf is to "convince" himself that he has thought of every possible factor. Whether those factors are accurate or even relevant is very VERY questionable. However, some of the things he's come up with are actually kind of interesting. 

In my humble opinion this lies squarely at the feet of the PGA. Either they have a pace of play rule or they don't. If you let him take 2 and a half minutes to hit a putt with no ramifications you are basically saying it's okay. 

Much like my friend, whom we never let choose where to eat lunch. If we did we'd all starve and then shame on us. One of us non-OCD people picks the restaurant and we go. The PGA should start penalizing slow players. They will either work through that or they won't. You can not expect behavior A, while rewarding behavior B. 

Yes I have several people in my family as well as friends who have various levels of OCD. Most people actually have some degree of it although minor most the time. The difference is people with OCD don’t try to convince others what they’re doing is necessary. They don’t blame other people and attempt to justify their actions. They are aware of their idiosyncratic behavior(s.) Many are able to treat or at least control their behavior.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I agree he should have been penalized. But I remember seeing an interview with him a couple years ago when he was explaining that he truly does suffer from OCD. In his normal life it can be somewhat debilitating, on the golf course it can be brutal. But he also mentioned that the only way he feels he can play golf is to "convince" himself that he has thought of every possible factor. Whether those factors are accurate or even relevant is very VERY questionable. However, some of the things he's come up with are actually kind of interesting. 

In my humble opinion this lies squarely at the feet of the PGA. Either they have a pace of play rule or they don't. If you let him take 2 and a half minutes to hit a putt with no ramifications you are basically saying it's okay. 

This reminded me of Jason Day a year or two back, when he said he'd continue to take whatever time he thinks is necessary for him to play his best golf.  As much as I wish the slow-play policies would be tightened, its hard to really blame someone who manages to play within the requirements.  And if the policies DO change, and if Bryson and Jason and some of the other slower players can't play their best at the pace required, someone will step in and fill their spots on Tour.  We may wonder what happened to them, but I don't believe they'll really be missed by the golfing public.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, saturday said:

I took a couple years to think about this topic. This is nothing new, Bryson has always been a slow player even before turning pro. Like Koepka said, he gets the exposure and the brunt of the criticism because he's on TV more than the other slow players. While I don't particularly like Bryson I think there's a bunch of guys on tour that are painfully slow... the worst for me is Patrick Cantlay. Just painful watching him... at least now the tour is finally listening and doing something about it... or pretending to at least lol.

Oh and hello world..

(Only some will get that)

I take it today is the day in 1996 that Tiger turned pro???

With regards to the topic of this thread, I just can't see how one can justify taking more than two minutes for an 8 foot putt.  It just baffles my mind that someone can over analyze it so much.  Given how badly that putt turned out to be, I think Bryson suffered from paralysis by analysis.

PGA should be ashamed of themselves for letting this thing get out of control for so long.  They have no integrity to stand by their own rules.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

Is death by fire ants an acceptable suggestion for a penalty?

We don’t have fire ants in the Northeast Colin! It has to be something that the PGA Tour can find in every venue. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

We don’t have fire ants in the Northeast Colin! It has to be something that the PGA Tour can find in every venue. 

There's no indignation like righteous indignation. Let's go full on Old Testament - death by stoning. They've got rocks everywhere.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

16 minutes ago, colin007 said:

There's no indignation like righteous indignation. Let's go full on Old Testament - death by stoning. They've got rocks everywhere.

score GIF

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

(edited)

This is why I don’t practice a lot of 8-9’ putts...there’s little separation value there...heck, I’m as good as at least one pro from that distance

06C5AB0F-9EBD-4284-BD49-9D23BD32E99A.thumb.jpeg.7d8b30f7983744bad0dc3a68b5d405d3.jpeg

Edited by woodzie264
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

20 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Yes I have several people in my family as well as friends who have various levels of OCD. Most people actually have some degree of it although minor most the time. The difference is people with OCD don’t try to convince others what they’re doing is necessary. They don’t blame other people and attempt to justify their actions. They are aware of their idiosyncratic behavior(s.) Many are able to treat or at least control their behavior.

I respectfully disagree. Firstly, my friend with OCD is always, I mean ALWAYS trying to convince us what he does is necessary. 

And Everyone tries to justify their actions when they are attacked. BDC has been called every name in the book over this. People have used profanity and other unkind words to describe him. People have suggested that he should be kicked off the tour (That's his livelihood.), people have suggested he should be killed, by fire ants and otherwise. I think he has every right to defend himself and/or justify his actions. 

I don't agree with his actions. I believe there is no way he should be allowed to take 2+ minutes to hit a putt. I think the PGA should penalize players for slow play. I don't think all of the unorthodox stuff he does actually helps his game, but I'm not him. And if he isn't penalized we should NOT expect the behavior to go away. 

Calling somebody with OCD names to get them to speed up is a akin to calling somebody with other mental issues names to do their homework faster. It's just not going to happen unless they are taught and coached differently. 

Think of this another way. Bryson says he suffers from acute OCD and doesn't feel like he can hit a shot without every piece of information being analyzed. Let's take him at his word. Let's say he does have a mental block. I can remember not long ago when Kevin Na had a terrible case of "the yips". He would stand endlessly over every putt. He just couldn't pull the trigger. It was really really hard to watch. Nobody I can remember called Kevin Na a douchebag. Nobody said he should be killed. I recall everyone feeling sorry for the dude. If you are going to penalize DeChambeau for taking too long to putt (which I think you should), you also would have needed to penalize Kevin Na for taking too long to putt. (Which, I also think you should.) 

The problem is very simple. Reward the behavior you want, penalize the behavior you don't want. Let the players seek out the help they need to deal with what ever mental issues they may have. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Think of this another way. Bryson says he suffers from acute OCD and doesn't feel like he can hit a shot without every piece of information being analyzed. Let's take him at his word. Let's say he does have a mental block. I can remember not long ago when Kevin Na had a terrible case of "the yips". He would stand endlessly over every putt. He just couldn't pull the trigger. It was really really hard to watch. Nobody I can remember called Kevin Na a douchebag. Nobody said he should be killed. I recall everyone feeling sorry for the dude. If you are going to penalize DeChambeau for taking too long to putt (which I think you should), you also would have needed to penalize Kevin Na for taking too long to putt. (Which, I also think you should.)

The Kevin Na thing was with the driver, IIRC, and he still managed to get shots off faster than 2:20 or 3:00. Much faster. Kevin Na would just sometimes "false start" or swing over the the ball intentionally. He'd have to re-start his relatively short pre-shot routine again. Still well under 2:20.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

respectfully disagree. Firstly, my friend with OCD is always, I mean ALWAYS trying to convince us what he does is necessary. 

The first step in getting treatment is admitting you have a problem. Maybe that’s your friend’s issue. If people felt their OCD behavior was necessary and that others simply don’t understand then nobody would seek treatment. Many, many OCD sufferers seek treatment because  they know their behavior is irrational. Your one acquaintance isn’t representative of OCD in general. I’ve treated many OCD cases and am well aware of its effects on people’s lives. I don’t know if BD is diagnosed with OCD or not.

What I do know is his behavior isn’t going to fly on the PGA Tour. It’s irrational and affects his playing partners. No special treatment was given to Moe Norman for his antics on the golf course. I’m not bashing BD for having OCD. I’m bashing his behavior. If it’s due to true OCD then he needs to start treatment for it.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 minute ago, iacas said:

The Kevin Na thing was with the driver, IIRC, and he still managed to get shots off faster than 2:20 or 3:00. Much faster. Kevin Na would just sometimes "false start" or swing over the the ball intentionally. He'd have to re-start his relatively short pre-shot routine again. Still well under 2:20.

I'm pretty sure he had the issue with the putter too. But I could be mistaken. It doesn't really matter. My point was not Kevin Na specifically. I was just saying when somebody has "the yips" it's hard to watch, but we feel sorry for him. With BCD's OCD (another metal hang up) we call him douchebag. 

10 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm pretty sure he had the issue with the putter too. But I could be mistaken. It doesn't really matter. My point was not Kevin Na specifically. I was just saying when somebody has "the yips" it's hard to watch, but we feel sorry for him. With BCD's OCD (another metal hang up) we call him douchebag. 

Na also admitted he’s slow and worked to improve it. Sergio quit re-gripping. BD tried to say it was other people’s fault that he was moving slow, that everyone has it wrong and needs to check the math. Also, aside from the OCD stuff he and Holmes also don’t prepare in time. They wait for their turn before starting their ridiculous pre-shot routines. That has nothing to do with OCD. Therefore; douchebag.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

What I do know is his behavior isn’t going to fly on the PGA Tour. It’s irrational and affects his playing partners. No special treatment was given to Moe Norman for his antics on the golf course. I’m not bashing BD for having OCD. I’m bashing his behavior. If it’s due to true OCD then he needs to start treatment for it.

I guess I just don't understand why you are bashing him at all. His behavior isn't being penalized... therefore it's deemed legal. 

As far as OCD goes. I've already said about as much as I know. My buddy IS getting treated for his.... All the time. He has to meet with a life coach and he has another doctor that he meets with twice a week. That doctor's phone number is the first speed dial on his phone. He sometimes gets "stuck" in a life situation and literally can't move on. He has to call the doctor to help him through it. I really don't know the deep details of it. I just know his brain doesn't work the way mine does and I truly feel bad for him because it's debilitating in regular every day life. 

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Na also admitted he’s slow and worked to improve it. Sergio quit re-gripping. BD tried to say it was other people’s fault that he was moving slow, that everyone has it wrong and needs to check the math. Also, aside from the OCD stuff he and Holmes also don’t prepare in time. They wait for their turn before starting their ridiculous pre-shot routines. That has nothing to do with OCD. Therefore; douchebag.

I agree with you on everything except calling him a douchebag. But again. He's NOT being penalized. Therefore it's perfectly legal according to the PGA. BTW - It took Sergio years to get over his regripping thing. And Sergio too lashed out when people bashed him for it. Sergio also had a right to try to defend his actions. Everyone has the right to defend their actions. Especially when they are being attacked. 

Bryson’s apparently getting very angry at people labeling him. We’re seeing the a-hole side of him coming out.

10 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Taking 2-3 minutes to hit a shot is not a problem. I do it from time to time, too. But taking that long to hit every shot is a serious problem.  

Koepka said it best. While the other guy is getting ready to hit, the other guy should also be getting ready. Too many guys sit and do nothing while the other guy is hitting and then when it’s their turn, they start prepping.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I agree with you on everything except calling him a douchebag. But again. He's NOT being penalized. Therefore it's perfectly legal according to the PGA. BTW - It took Sergio years to get over his regripping thing. And Sergio too lashed out when people bashed him for it. Sergio also had a right to try to defend his actions. Everyone has the right to defend their actions. Especially when they are being attacked. 

Hey it’s all good. Certainly no reason to have to agree on his being a db which I remain to feel until shown otherwise.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!