butchammon

What looks "old" is "new" (retro putter idea...)

8 posts / 371 viewsLast Reply

Thinking about putters of all makes, models, flavors, etc... I had this crazy idea and wonder what you all think.

Just like how Gibson or Fender make some of those "old school" electric guitars that look like they came straight from 1962, but yet combined with today's modern electronics, wiring scheme, etc... I wonder if the golf industry would do something like that, as a type of new marketing idea. Honor the past, while including today's technology, with golf putters.

Take the old classic, Ping Zing putter from 1973, the same one that your dad played.
Same look, same faded out copper finish, etc...
But yet, imagine if Ping re-created it with today's technology (i.e. the Ping Vault 2 blade putter), but yet had it finished in a (faux, imitation) faded copper finish.

Imagine if Titleist took the famous Scotty Cameron Newport from the early 90's and re-created the same look and finish, but yet with today's modern technology and feel?

Let's not forget the ubiquitous Odyssey Rossie II putter. Imagine if Odyssey re-created it with the same look and finish, but yet built with Odyssey's modern technology, sort of like the Odyssey Stroke Lab Tuttle?

I wonder if there would be a golf market for something surprisingly "Retro" where guys in the group would see an "OLD" putter in your bag, but yet you tell them "No, it's not old. It may look old, but believe me... it's all modern and high tech, but with an "old school" look to it".

Am I nuts with this type of thinking in the golf putter industry, or would an idea like this catch on? Just wondering....

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

You're overthinking it. It's a piece of metal on a stick. You're not recreating yesterday's look with today's technology. Most of the technology is built into the look.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Simple answer: Yes...you're nuts.  But no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public...so there is that.  A market may exist for retro designs.  I doubt, however, that anyone can reintroduce a bullseye and make it the next thing to have.

40 minutes ago, Piz said:

Simple answer: Yes...you're nuts.  But no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public...so there is that.  A market may exist for retro designs.  I doubt, however, that anyone can reintroduce a bullseye and make it the next thing to have.

Hey, my backup putter is a Bullseye Flange.  If I strike it in the sweet spot, which you can definitely feel, the damn ball goes in the hole.  I only hit it in the sweet spot one out of 4.

Yes, I had an Acushnet Bullseye putter. Couldn't putt worth a damn with the thing! Too light, no heel/toe weighting, would twist like crazy on off center hits. 

My first putter was an Acushnet Bullseye.  My dad gave it to me in the basement of the house I was born in.  I never did see what was so special about it...too light.  When I was given my first set (3,5,7,9,putter) the putter captured my imagination.  I used it until I could hardly bend over far enough.

My current fave is a Daedric model.  I stuck with ebony for a long time.  That whole blood thing kind of creeps me out.  Till I jar one.  Then it doesn't matter as much.