Jump to content
iacas

Guess How Many Golf Holes in the World? A Guessing Game (Answer: ~600,000)

54 posts / 2656 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

1,350,830

By the way, this is a great game and I can't wait to see how far off I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

On 8/26/2019 at 9:58 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

I was at first going to guess a half a million. But, I'll just say a cool million. For no particular reason. 

I thought about this and a million doesn't make any sense. It somehow has to be divisible by 9 right???

I change my guess to 999,999

Because that's divisible by 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I once heard that there are 20,000 courses in the US..  (I think on this site somewhere)..    so that is 360,000 in the US alone.   probably fair to assume that nearly half the courses are here.  So I'll say...  750.000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I thought about this and a million doesn't make any sense. It somehow has to be divisible by 9 right???

I change my guess to 999,999

Because that's divisible by 9.

I played a course in New Zealand that was 6 holes, So maybe 999,996 but I made my guess and I’m sticking to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most people seem to be assuming that the U.S has a majority, or at least a very large percentage of the worlds courses.  I figured that we have about a third in my guesstimate.  But the more I think about it, the more I think there are a lot more courses outside of the U.S. than even I estimated.  As such I think my guess may be way too low...

We’ll see....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

Most people seem to be assuming that the U.S has a majority, or at least a very large percentage of the worlds courses.  I figured that we have about a third in my guesstimate.  But the more I think about it, the more I think there are a lot more courses outside of the U.S. than even I estimated.  As such I think my guess may be way too low...

We’ll see....

I've heard America has something like 15,000 of the 35,000 courses in the world. I wouldn't know how to calculate the holes since I have no idea how many are 9 and how many are 18.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe 35,000 golf holes X 18 holes = 630,000 total holes

This a SWAG....nothing based on any scientific fact or conjecture...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought that the rest of the world had more golf courses.   I made the assumption that the US had the most but never in my wildest thoughts would have believed the rest of the world didn't match up to my expectations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

I’m going with 600,000 holes

Well, yeah, the post above yours is:

On 9/13/2019 at 3:17 PM, iacas said:

Just under 600k is the answer, I believe.

🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/12/2019 at 1:52 PM, dennyjones said:

I always thought that the rest of the world had more golf courses.   I made the assumption that the US had the most but never in my wildest thoughts would have believed the rest of the world didn't match up to my expectations. 

Me too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...