iacas

Guess How Many Golf Holes in the World? A Guessing Game (Answer: ~600,000)

54 posts / 2656 viewsLast Reply

By the way, this is a great game and I can't wait to see how far off I am.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

On 8/26/2019 at 9:58 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

I was at first going to guess a half a million. But, I'll just say a cool million. For no particular reason. 

I thought about this and a million doesn't make any sense. It somehow has to be divisible by 9 right???

I change my guess to 999,999

Because that's divisible by 9.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I once heard that there are 20,000 courses in the US..  (I think on this site somewhere)..    so that is 360,000 in the US alone.   probably fair to assume that nearly half the courses are here.  So I'll say...  750.000

17 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I thought about this and a million doesn't make any sense. It somehow has to be divisible by 9 right???

I change my guess to 999,999

Because that's divisible by 9.

I played a course in New Zealand that was 6 holes, So maybe 999,996 but I made my guess and I’m sticking to it.

Most people seem to be assuming that the U.S has a majority, or at least a very large percentage of the worlds courses.  I figured that we have about a third in my guesstimate.  But the more I think about it, the more I think there are a lot more courses outside of the U.S. than even I estimated.  As such I think my guess may be way too low...

We’ll see....

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

Most people seem to be assuming that the U.S has a majority, or at least a very large percentage of the worlds courses.  I figured that we have about a third in my guesstimate.  But the more I think about it, the more I think there are a lot more courses outside of the U.S. than even I estimated.  As such I think my guess may be way too low...

We’ll see....

I've heard America has something like 15,000 of the 35,000 courses in the world. I wouldn't know how to calculate the holes since I have no idea how many are 9 and how many are 18.

Maybe 35,000 golf holes X 18 holes = 630,000 total holes

This a SWAG....nothing based on any scientific fact or conjecture...

I always thought that the rest of the world had more golf courses.   I made the assumption that the US had the most but never in my wildest thoughts would have believed the rest of the world didn't match up to my expectations. 

7 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

I’m going with 600,000 holes

Well, yeah, the post above yours is:

On 9/13/2019 at 3:17 PM, iacas said:

Just under 600k is the answer, I believe.

🙂

On 9/12/2019 at 1:52 PM, dennyjones said:

I always thought that the rest of the world had more golf courses.   I made the assumption that the US had the most but never in my wildest thoughts would have believed the rest of the world didn't match up to my expectations. 

Me too!