Harp stein

New irons, curious about 5I versus 6I with same loft

8 posts / 1668 viewsLast Reply

I've been playing RSi1 clubs I had fitted a few years ago and overall like them.  I've gotten down to about an 8 index and have a fitting scheduled in September, interested in looking at the "players distance" iron category.

I was looking at the T200 specs tonight (just one of many irons i'm interested in) and realized that their 5I loft matches the 6I loft on my current set.  I gave up my RSi1 5I last year for a 5 hybrid because I couldn't hit the 5I consistently, and even when I did catch it well it didn't get much height on it.  I hit my current RSi1 6I just fine.

Hopefully not a dumb question, but will a 5I with the same lift as my 6I be more like hitting a 6I or a 5I?  In other words, is it the loft of the club that makes them hard to hit, the length, or some combination of those 2 factors (or maybe a 3rd factor)?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Almost all the newer irons are lofted stronger these days. More loft generally translates to easier to hit but I'm sure it's different for everyone. I've recently upgraded to newer irons and my old irons didn't even have a true 4i or 5i, they were hybrids. Not having any issues at all hitting my 4i/5i with the new set.

The T200 5 iron loft is 24 degrees.  The RSi1 6 iron is 26.5 degrees.  

That being said...most recreational golfers experience diminishing returns as the clubs, particularly the irons, get longer and less lofty.  I swapped my 3 iron for a hybrid for that very reason.  It is a reflection, methinks, of imperfections in my golf swing...namely the pernicious habit of swinging too hard.

I have stopped hitting the 3 iron on my Taylor Made RAC irons just because with my reduction in clubhead speed, I am not launching the 3 iron at the appropriate angle to maximise distance.  The 4 hybrid matches my 3i for distance and it really was a no-brainer.  I also stopped the 4i just because distance wasn't really ideal with a minor drop-off in launch angle and distance taking it close to my 5 iron, though not quite.  I now use the 4 hybrid and 5 iron onwards.

Try hitting the clubs and see what results you get.  Sometimes it might be the shaft as well though.  Changing flex and kick-point can make a difference to the launch angle of your longer irons.

The T100 5i is 27*; the T200 5i is 24*.

Since your issue with the RSI1 5i (23*) is height, you probably won’t do much better with a T200 5i (24*).  But with technology advancements the T200 might be easier to hit.

These days I can’t hit a 23*/24* iron even though I could hit a 3 iron years ago.

If you get T100 irons, you’ll probably lose some of the GI properties of your RSI1 irons so the T100 irons might be more difficult to hit, especially with a longer shaft length of the 5i.  It is impossible to say without you trying the T100’s.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

On 8/27/2019 at 11:33 PM, Harp stein said:

I've been playing RSi1 clubs I had fitted a few years ago and overall like them.  I've gotten down to about an 8 index and have a fitting scheduled in September, interested in looking at the "players distance" iron category.

I was looking at the T200 specs tonight (just one of many irons i'm interested in) and realized that their 5I loft matches the 6I loft on my current set.  I gave up my RSi1 5I last year for a 5 hybrid because I couldn't hit the 5I consistently, and even when I did catch it well it didn't get much height on it.  I hit my current RSi1 6I just fine.

Hopefully not a dumb question, but will a 5I with the same lift as my 6I be more like hitting a 6I or a 5I?  In other words, is it the loft of the club that makes them hard to hit, the length, or some combination of those 2 factors (or maybe a 3rd factor)?

My questions to you would be how old are you and what is your clubhead speed with that particular club? I was a really good golfer in my late teens and early twenties. Then life intervened, and eventually I couldn't  get my 2 iron up off the ground anymore! 

I bought a Cleveland hybrid 2 and loved it right off. Nowadays, I don't carry an iron longer than a 6! 

You kind of sound like me. Irons 6 and under I'm fine with. 5 and up, I need a hybrid! Clubhead speed doesn't just mean additional distance, it means additional height, which is part of what gives the shot additional distance! 

Thanks for the replies, I had the specs wrong on the T200s as someone mentioned appreciate that heads up.  I'm mid-40s and swing my 8I 75-77mph per a recent Trackman session, carry it 140y.

Fitting might change everything but right now I'm leaning toward going with more of a Players CB instead of GI irons, which would mean an extra iron (5I) and giving up either a hybrid or my 5W.  I rarely hit my 5W right now, just because it's harder to hit consistently and carries about the same as my 3H at 19 degrees.

10 hours ago, Harp stein said:

I rarely hit my 5W right now, just because it's harder to hit consistently and carries about the same as my 3H at 19 degrees.

Yup! "About" the same for me too. Best, Marv