Jb141

Looking for Driver Purchase Advice

10 posts / 1006 viewsLast Reply

So here’s the deal. I’ve got my irons secured for now but I’m in the market for a driver currently I’m using a cobra ss350. I regularly shoot in the mid 90s and I have narrowed down my results to two options. Can walk out with a brand new TM M2 from dicks sporting goods for $200 10.5 loft and a regular flex shaft in r go with a slightly used Ping G driver. 9.5 loft regular flex for $120.... what should I do?

Btw. I have a tendency to slice about 40% of the time so forgiveness is key

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

You should swing them both, with some golf balls in the way, and see if you like one more than the other.  Add your current driver and see how that goes.  Be objective.  It is really easy, when you want to buy a new club, to justify the purchase.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There just isn't enough information there to make a decision.  I assume your swing speed has been measured which is why you are looking at an R-flex shaft.  Ideally you need to get fit for your clubs.  There are many amateurs who discover that more loft is actually a good thing in their driver so just go ahead and hit a 12 to 14 degree driver and see if that is actually more accurate and possibly even longer.

5 hours ago, Piz said:

You should swing them both, with some golf balls in the way, and see if you like one more than the other.  Add your current driver and see how that goes.  Be objective.  It is really easy, when you want to buy a new club, to justify the purchase.

Agree...and as a high HCP, I need the higher loft. Good luck! Best, -Marv

And you slice because of your swing. A more forgiving driver just means higher ball speeds on off center hits. 

Ok so tbh. That’s all the information I have too. I have not been fitted for anything yet. I’m just really a budget golfer at this point. I know my swing speed is on the slower side just based on my driving distance and what it feels like to me to make sure I hit it straight. The ping driver is used so I doubt I’ll be able to try before I buy. I could hit the TM obviously but I’m more or less wondering if the TM is worth the $80 price difference or if one or the other offers something that the other doesn’t in terms of technology or if there is more life out of a brand new club versus a used one. 

11 hours ago, Piz said:

+1

If you are just going to buy a modern (460) driver and those are your only choices, the Taylormade will give you a couple degrees of loft adjustability.

There is no way anyone can say if you will hit it straighter, but over the past almost 20 years of technology, I can’t imagine you hitting it worse.

Personally, if you are going to continue going forward with your current slice swing, you may want to check out a Cobra F Max.  It is light, offset, and heel weighted.  It isn’t adjustable, but it launches high and a 10.5 would probably work.  Probably find one on eBay for around $100.  Since you’re just rolling the dice, it is might be better suited for a slower swing speed.

John

Thanks for the help. I’m gonna take a few days to dwell on it and see where I lean. I literally just got done playing and focused my emphasis on getting quality drives. So what I can say as of right now I really screw the pooch when I try to bomb my drives (which I feel a need to do on every shot). I have a horrible outside/in baseball type swing combined with leaving the face open... I gotta work on it for sure.... but when I slow it down to about 80% of what I feel is a full send, and shorten up the back swing about 80% as well I can get a good 240-255 yard drive usually dead straight with maybe a minor push right. I totally understand that my feedback and lack of information makes it hard for you all to give me some sound advice but it’s really just a learning process for me as well. I really should have stated that I’m curious as to what you all would prefer of those two choices and why. I completely get that this is a crapshoot where I may get lucky or it may be back to the drawing board. Nonetheless I appreciate everyone’s feedback and thoughts on this. Since joining I went from a thrift store mediocre semi full set to now having a real set. I’m really starting to enjoy the game more and I’ve set a goal for when I can consistently shoot under 85 I’m going to go get fitted for a full set to my specs so something to look forward too. Thanks again all!

13 hours ago, Jb141 said:

Ok so tbh. That’s all the information I have too. I have not been fitted for anything yet. I’m just really a budget golfer at this point. I know my swing speed is on the slower side just based on my driving distance and what it feels like to me to make sure I hit it straight. The ping driver is used so I doubt I’ll be able to try before I buy. I could hit the TM obviously but I’m more or less wondering if the TM is worth the $80 price difference or if one or the other offers something that the other doesn’t in terms of technology or if there is more life out of a brand new club versus a used one. 

To me it still sounds like you won’t know until you hit them both. Otherwise you’re just rolling the dice.