Jump to content
mecoleman

Weightlifting/Bodybuilding and Golf

25 posts / 2044 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, TN94z said:

I disagree. I'm not necessarily saying it's from lifting weights specifically, but if you do no stretching and no mobility work (even if you don't lift weights) you are going to loose some flexibility and range just from getting older, in my opinion. I see ladies in our senior Crossfit group that used to be cheerleaders, athletes, track stars, etc....that are now older and have a huge lack of mobility. I'm not saying that is every case, but I bet it's the majority.

Don’t get me started in CrossFit, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Hugely technical lifts being thought by very unqualified people to ordinary people. A recipe for disaster regarding injuries and mobility. 

You have people walking in and doing clean and press for example with terrible form and doing it over and over again. I feel sorry for their backs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

6 hours ago, Nail said:

Don’t get me started in CrossFit, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Hugely technical lifts being thought by very unqualified people to ordinary people. A recipe for disaster regarding injuries and mobility. 

You have people walking in and doing clean and press for example with terrible form and doing it over and over again. I feel sorry for their backs. 

In some cases, I agree. But that's not the norm. All anyone ever hears with Crossfit are the the examples picked from bad gyms. Most gyms are high quality and most likely get better instruction than someone walking into their local 24/7 gyms and starting to lift on their own. Every coach we have is trained by some of the top olympic lifters in the US. Crossfit gets a bad rep because of the bad gyms.

So unless you have actually gone to a good gym and experienced it yourself, then as you say above, you really don't know. I have been doing powerlifting and bodybuilding through the last 25 years, so I feel I have a good bit of knowledge and experience on both sides and from that experience, I feel MUCH MUCH better and MUCH more functional doing Crossfit than I ever did just lifting heavy weights

 

Having said that, let's keep this on topic

Edited by TN94z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, Shindig said:

How happy he is depends in part on when he discovered that he cannot reach his deployment handle.  By the way you told the story, I assume and hope he was on the ground when this discovery was made?

🤣   Yes - we found another rig more compatible with his new body.

 

(Frankly, I think if push came to shove, it wouldn't have been a problem.  I'm a little guy and it's uncomfortable to have to reach when wearing my wife's rig - it sits really high and I have terrible flexibility.  Good fit, the handle is level with your hip (easy reach), small rig, it's up much higher - closer to your ribs - I'm not that person that can grabs my hands together between my shoulder blades.....easy for some, not so for others)

Edited by rehmwa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 minutes ago, TN94z said:

In some cases, I agree. But that's not the norm. All anyone ever hears with Crossfit are the the examples picked from bad gyms. Most gyms are high quality and most likely get better instruction than someone walking into their local 24/7 gyms and starting to lift on their own. Every coach we have is trained by some of the top olympic lifters in the US. Crossfit gets a bad rep because of the bad gyms.

So unless you have actually gone to a good gym and experienced it yourself, then as you say above, you really don't know. I have been doing powerlifting and bodybuilding through the last 25 years, so I feel I have a good bit of knowledge and experience on both sides and from that experience, I feel MUCH MUCH better and MUCH more functional doing Crossfit than I ever did just lifting heavy weights

 

Having said that, let's keep this on topic

Like anything there are the good and the bad. Now, you say you have your own experience due to lifting and you feel better now doing CrossFit. What is it you are doing now that you didn’t do before? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tap2284 said:

Like anything there are the good and the bad. Now, you say you have your own experience due to lifting and you feel better now doing CrossFit. What is it you are doing now that you didn’t do before? 

I feel better since starting Crossfit versus the normal bodybuilding or power lifting work

Edited by TN94z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Crossfit is expensive.  I mean, not by golf standards perhaps.  But it is an investment.  The one near me is exactly 10x my gym membership.  It is an investment in effort too, not just money. 

 

I have been lifting weights 5x week for over a decade.  I am also the least flexible person I have ever met - (except possibly for two of my kids who are apparently built the same).  Given those two issues, I am not aware that my mobility is hindering my game.  I'm not even sue if the two equal a net loss in mobility.

Edited by Cantankerish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Crossfit is expensive.  I mean, not by golf standards perhaps.  But it is an investment.  The one near me is exactly 10x my gym membership.  It is an investment in effort too, not just money.

I cannot argue that versus a gym cost for sure. The difference being each class is led by an instructor that they have to pay. I honestly feel like it has helped my game more so than traditional lifting did.

Edited by TN94z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...