IGNORED

2019 Presidents Cup

iacas
Note: This thread is 1581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, Herkimer said:

It certainly didn't and Tiger thankfully surprised a lot of people.  I'll even go further by saying that I don't think we would have won if Tiger hadn't chosen himself as a player.  

Good job of owning up.  Hell, I picked the Yankees to win the World Series.

I would be all for the PC being nothing but captain’s picks. Would make it more fun and differentiated from the Ryder Cup IMO. 

Also, the tie concept is incredibly weak.  In the event of a tie, have the captains pick one player to go sudden death for the win. 

Edited by skydog
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Herkimer said:

What did he mean by that?  

Does the PGA run this whole thing?  Does the PGA pick the course?  Does the PGA set up the course and choose hole placements?

Does he have a beef with the PGA?  Seems so, based on this.

The PGA isn’t involved in the Presidents Cup at all, really.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, Herkimer said:

Who picks the courses?  Who writes the checks? 

My ‘copy/paste’ function is porked. @Herkimer you’re confusing the PGA with the PGA TOUR. Different entities.

The President's Cup is owned by the PGA TOUR. On a side note, the PGA TOUR does not “own” or run any of golf's four majors. The Masters is run by Augusta National, the US Open by the United States GolfAssociation, the Open Championship by the Royal and Ancient, and the PGA Championship by the PGA of America.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Yep.  Thanks for the clarification.  

So the PGA picks the courses and writes the checks?  And what's Ernie's beef with them?  My guess, just off the top of my head, is that they made demands on him that he didn't like.  From what I heard, Ernie's style was to give orders and have things done his way (not that his players had a problem with it).  But if that's true, then I could see why he might have a problem with the PGA telling him what to do.  

14 minutes ago, Herkimer said:

Yep.  Thanks for the clarification.  

So the PGA picks the courses and writes the checks?  And what's Ernie's beef with them?  My guess, just off the top of my head, is that they made demands on him that he didn't like.  From what I heard, Ernie's style was to give orders and have things done his way (not that his players had a problem with it).  But if that's true, then I could see why he might have a problem with the PGA telling him what to do.  

🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

10 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I didn't watch any of it and will just assume that the USA rolled hard and left the internationals as sloppy piles of defeat and shame.  

Nope.  We squeaked in for the win.  In some ways DJ was the hero the last 2 days considering he is coming off knee surgery.  That said, no Tiger... no Cup.

John

Congrats to team USA for the victory. For us internationals another defeat in this cup, moreover at home. Even worst to see Reed winning his match. At least tiger played well and won all his points as i wanted. 

Edited by p1n9183

This was an awesome event, but I'm also sitting here wondering how on earth the Internationals will ever win one of these. The US team still won, despite the following:

• Most of them playing an event literally across the world the week before
  • A 20+ hour flight
  • Having about 48 hours to get over crazy jet lag 
  • Patrick Reed's shit
  • A course that doesn't give a ton of advantage to all of the bombers on the US team
  • The Internationals having a seemingly perfect game plan, especially for the team portions
  • The Internationals getting off to the perfect start
  • A playing captain (don't think this really made much difference, to be honest)

I guess if you put Jason Day on the team instead of one of the captain's picks, it could have been a different result. But everything was perfectly set up for the Internationals and they still lost. 

Don't get me wrong, it was a really fun event, and I was riveted to the TV on Saturday. But I don't see how the Internationals will be competitive at Quail Hollow next time around. And, going forward, what's it going to take for the Internationals to make it competitive every time? 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

14 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

This was an awesome event, but I'm also sitting here wondering how on earth the Internationals will ever win one of these. The US team still won, despite the following:

• Most of them playing an event literally across the world the week before
  • A 20+ hour flight
  • Having about 48 hours to get over crazy jet lag 
  • Patrick Reed's shit
  • A course that doesn't give a ton of advantage to all of the bombers on the US team
  • The Internationals having a seemingly perfect game plan, especially for the team portions
  • The Internationals getting off to the perfect start
  • A playing captain (don't think this really made much difference, to be honest)

I guess if you put Jason Day on the team instead of one of the captain's picks, it could have been a different result. But everything was perfectly set up for the Internationals and they still lost. 

Don't get me wrong, it was a really fun event, and I was riveted to the TV on Saturday. But I don't see how the Internationals will be competitive at Quail Hollow next time around. And, going forward, what's it going to take for the Internationals to make it competitive every time? 

Remember that the International team age average was the youngest of the history. It also was far away from ideal in names. fleetwood, day, rose.. etc.
That factor for me is the most important one. As i heard in the tv coverage the junior Presidents Cup was played in the same course and the course destroyed the players of both teams. So.. a young unexperienced team was far from ideal. The final result was tigh, so i can imagine an international team making it competitive in the future with better player picks. 

Edited by p1n9183

This one was great TV.  I stayed up late the last three nights in a row watching.  Serious course - looks like so much fun.  And the International team did fantastic and some of the young talent there is impressive.  Tiger saying "My boys" over and over again - this one was special for him - he's always loved the big team events.

Bill - 

30 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

Remember that the International team age average was the youngest of the history. It also was far away from ideal in names. fleetwood, day, rose.. etc.
That factor for me is the most important one. As i heard in the tv coverage the junior Presidents Cup was played in the same course and the course destroyed the players of both teams. So.. a young unexperienced team was far from ideal. The final result was tigh, so i can imagine an international team making it competitive in the future with better player picks. 

The only person missing that would have been picked was Day (Rose and Fleetwood aren't eligible, as far as I know). I'm really not sure who else is going to make a difference. The future looks bright for the US, too. Not a lot of old guys on the US team.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, p1n9183 said:

Keep in mind part of that was the Captain's choice. But it will help if those young players develop more for future events.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

21 hours ago, David in FL said:

Or, they got creamed in the team events, but pulled it out of their ass in the individual play.

Thank God for the captain!  :-D

We understands that it pains you.

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

The only person missing that would have been picked was Day (Rose and Fleetwood aren't eligible, as far as I know). I'm really not sure who else is going to make a difference. The future looks bright for the US, too. Not a lot of old guys on the US team.

Yeah, they missed Day.  But the US team was missing the #1 player in the world, so that was a wash, at best.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 1581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!