Jump to content

32 posts / 3240 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

It's a piece of gear, but it's more of an instructional piece of gear, so I put this here. So I figure Erik will move this if it's not appropriate. This is supposed to help people develop a proper swing plane. It's been out since July. I've seen Martin Chuck's video, and the TXG review which was positive. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it, and if Erik has any thoughts about the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ii9zjre90

I’ve been working with it quite religiously for the past week. It’s helping me understand the backswing/transition point. I’m grossly untalented and have zero sense of proprioception to any degree of accuracy so it’s quite a workout for me. Some of my follow throughs have had me wrapped up in the bands like Wyle E. Coyote. 
 

It’s forced me to have feels I’ve never been able to generate on my own. It’s over priced as far as what it is, but I’m enjoying it and consider it the best aid I’ve used to date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

I’ve been working with it quite religiously for the past week. It’s helping me understand the backswing/transition point. I’m grossly untalented and have zero sense of proprioception to any degree of accuracy so it’s quite a workout for me. Some of my follow throughs have had me wrapped up in the bands like Wyle E. Coyote. 
 

It’s forced me to have feels I’ve never been able to generate on my own. It’s over priced as far as what it is, but I’m enjoying it and consider it the best aid I’ve used to date.

I've gone back to basics. While my timing and tempo have always been good, my misunderstanding has been the drop from the transition into the downswing. I want to develop a better and consistent feel for that. This contraption looks like it might really help here. The pitching band for my lob wedge and then I play with one length irons for the rest of the set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DrvFrShow said:

I've gone back to basics. While my timing and tempo have always been good, my misunderstanding has been the drop from the transition into the downswing. I want to develop a better and consistent feel for that. This contraption looks like it might really help here. The pitching band for my lob wedge and then I play with one length irons for the rest of the set.

I think it will definitely help with what you want to work on. I agree with Erik about following the protocol. Hell I even used it with one of our instructors at my club. I knew if I went at it alone I’d hurt myself or anyone nearby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not to belittle the device, since I've seen several different videos on it from several different online instructors and it appears it might be useful, but personally, I'm done with gizmos. I've got the Impact Snap, the Medicus, an impact bag and I've bought and returned for refund two or three others which at the time I bought them, were touted to be the latest and greatest training aid known to man. I know what to do. I know what the golf swing is supposed to feel like, but unless I can translate the golf swing from gizmo assisted to the golf course which takes, at least for me, lots and lots of repetitive practice, no piece of apparatus is going to help. YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, xrayvizhen said:

Not to belittle the device, since I've seen several different videos on it from several different online instructors and it appears it might be useful, but personally, I'm done with gizmos. I've got the Impact Snap, the Medicus, an impact bag and I've bought and returned for refund two or three others which at the time I bought them, were touted to be the latest and greatest training aid known to man. I know what to do. I know what the golf swing is supposed to feel like, but unless I can translate the golf swing from gizmo assisted to the golf course which takes, at least for me, lots and lots of repetitive practice, no piece of apparatus is going to help. YMMV.

Uhm, okay?

Training aids work for a ton of people. Sometimes they're just sticks, or a traffic cone, or a tennis ball… but they work if you know what you're doing and use them properly.

Just because you've not enjoyed the four or six things you've ever bought doesn't mean they aren't good (or that you used them properly, or whatever).

Y'know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/3/2019 at 5:03 PM, xrayvizhen said:

Not to belittle the device, since I've seen several different videos on it from several different online instructors and it appears it might be useful, but personally, I'm done with gizmos. I've got the Impact Snap, the Medicus, an impact bag and I've bought and returned for refund two or three others which at the time I bought them, were touted to be the latest and greatest training aid known to man. I know what to do. I know what the golf swing is supposed to feel like, but unless I can translate the golf swing from gizmo assisted to the golf course which takes, at least for me, lots and lots of repetitive practice, no piece of apparatus is going to help. YMMV.

Training aids - Like Erik said there's a ton of them out there. They're tools. Alignment sticks are training aids. I measured my shoulder width and put electrical tape on mine so I know exactly where my shoulder width is. I also marked exact center of stance. It helps a lot because when you're practicing you need to stay focused on what you're doing.

Other training aids I've bought like a very short club that's a D5 swing weight. Why? I don't have high enough ceilings to use a club inside. But I can practice 5 minutes a day with this thing in front of a mirror. Take my stance, work on positions, weight shift and keeping myself from early extending through the impact zone. You know it actually helped more than going to the range and banging balls?

You can use alignment sticks and put them under your feet so you can feel the weight shift better.

Then there's the TourStriker Smartball. I've used that. It helped me on my short game.

I also have the Orange Whip. It helped me focus on where the club head was. Do I use it to do that anymore? No. I use it for warming up and stretching out my back now. 

I'm interested in this thing because I sometimes do go over the top and if can help me groove the drop and shallow move better it'll be worth it. I can always work with Tony with it, too - he's the pro I've been taking lessons from. I'm sure he won't object.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/3/2019 at 8:03 PM, xrayvizhen said:

unless I can translate the golf swing from gizmo assisted to the golf course which takes, at least for me, lots and lots of repetitive practice, no piece of apparatus is going to help.

Well...that’s exactly what this ( and others) is for. Many people can’t get the feel to be in the desired position without an instructor standing there or constant confirmation with video. This allows you to feel if you’re doing something wrong, too inside on the backswing, casting, no shallowing of the club. Repetitive practice is important but only if you’re repeating the proper movement. Which is exactly what this and other devices are for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wonder if Martin Chuck has like a backlog of ideas in his head. He always seems to consistently come up with new aids and they're good too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I wonder if Martin Chuck has like a backlog of ideas in his head. He always seems to consistently come up with new aids and they're good too.

This one isn't really his idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, iacas said:

This one isn't really his idea.

Ah, I did not know that. Oh, I see what you mean I think, people have used bungee cords, jury rigged their own setup to do what the PlaneMate does and Chuck refined it. Like his SmartBall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Ah, I did not know that. Oh, I see what you mean I think, people have used bungee cords, jury rigged their own setup to do what the PlaneMate does and Chuck refined it. Like his SmartBall?

No I mean it’s the other guy who primarily developed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This reminds me of a conversation the other day on the practice tee before my Saturday morning pot game. A guy was telling us he just hooks a fishing lure to his privates and then ties it off to his golf hat. Helps to keep his head down I think.

Edited by Carl3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just pre-ordered.

I would love to get in the business of making these aids. I don't know much about the swing compared to the pros on here, but I know a lot about design and prototyping. I've done some one-off type parts with friends (not for golf) and tons of conceptual CAD models. One of my buddies talked about using some of his shop equipment to do some one-off putters but we never got serious with it. Designing golf equipment would be a dream job for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...