IGNORED

Sidehill Woes - New Here

Epopt
Note: This thread is 1674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Been hitting many more fairways and playing happy boring golf at times except for one problem area that's frustrating on some days. The other day I hit 13/14 fairways, which is fantastic for me. But ended up bogeying each par 5 (from short) because of the third shot in on a very hilly course. Ended up +6 only because of the side hills.

I like to think I have a decent, if not good, short game, relative to my ability.

From 60 -160 (8 iron) yards out, I often have issues with sidehill lies and mess up the score. I aim as I am supposed to (right if the ball is above me) and the ball ends up going even further right. Or have trouble with the rough. Anyhow, wondering if anyone else has these issues. 

The ball going the wrong way issue is exacerbated if I use a long iron or fairway wood, oftentimes.

Read and watched everything on the topic but still not comfortable. Especially trying to judge this out of the tougher rough. I choke up, play a longer club, keep my body quiet. But if I don't execute properly (especially with longer clubs), I end up in a mess, further the wrong way.

And simply dread the side hill in the green side bunker.

Any help appreciated.

(Surprised it took me this long to join, as I've enjoyed reading the forums. )

Edited by Epopt
forgot one detail

Hello and welcome to TST! Have you read through this thread?

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi Vinsk, yes, I had looked at that. There are details in my problem that I think are different. For example, I had one (of my three over the years) teacher tell me that long irons and fairway woods will go right when the ball is above you (and left when below), the opposite of just about every window and book.

That's why I decided to bring this up. I see other players do it as well. Aim right because the side hill is supposed to go left, and the ball goes even more right...

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Epopt said:

Hi Vinsk, yes, I had looked at that. There are details in my problem that I think are different. For example, I had one (of my three over the years) teacher tell me that long irons and fairway woods will go right when the ball is above you (and left when below), the opposite of just about every window and book.

That's why I decided to bring this up. I see other players do it as well. Aim right because the side hill is supposed to go left, and the ball goes even more right...

Thank you.

I think it would best to post a video of your swing. You can post it in the ‘Members Swings’ thread which I’m sure you’ve seen. It’s the only way we can get an accurate read on what’s going on. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a side hill lie, just DTL and FO in slow motion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

In addition to what's posted above, my suggestion is to find a practice area, and hit wedges off of side hill lies. I say wedges, because of possible limitations to available room to hit balls. If you have room, use longer clubs. 

Learn for yourself what the ball does with "your own" swing.

Try different stances. Open, closed, and/or square.

Find your own balance in your stance. Weight distribution on your heels, or towards your toes.

Manipulate your grip on the club a little to sole the club head flat to the slope involved.

Maybe open, or close the club face at address. 

In other words, expiriment with this situation. Home school yourself. Use available instruction for the basics, and then fine tune you own set up, and swing from those basics. 

I practice these uneven lies 3, or 4 times a month. By adjusting my stance, grip, and the club face, I have managed to to take alot of the curvature out of the two ball flights. The ball still curves a little, but it's more of a consistent controlled curve. 

Best part is, that once you figure out your own method of dealing with side hill lies, you can then look forward to those pesky up, and down hill lies. 

Btw, welcome to TST. Golf is well spoken here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Side hill lies out of the rough are a tough shot.
One of the few holes on our course where the ball is below my feet is a par 5 with water down the entire right side.
After a drop on the sloping side, a layup shot is usually a 5 iron back to the fairway.
But when I push my second shot into the water, this leaves an approach shot usually 150 yds or less. With the ball below my feet, I usually have decent success hitting the green.
I really don't change anything or make any adjustments in these situations other than making certain I can clear my hips during the swing.

On holes with the ball above my feet, it's a different story.
I open my stance, stand tall, use one extra club, grip the club slightly firmer and only take a 3/4 swing whenever possible.
Ball position in the rough, sitting up or down dictates playability.
When it's buried, I just take my meds and hit it back to the fairway rather than risk attempting playing to the green.

If I have a decent lie, I'll take a chance and play for the fat of the green.
Also if playing early morning and the ruff is still wet, it's usually just get it back in play and scramble to save Par.
Our fescue is gruesome and getting a club to the back side of a ball is difficult even on level lies when it's sitting down... :cry:I'll usually curse at myself like a sailor for hitting it there...

• Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• iacas changed the title to Sidehill Woes - New Here

EXCELLENT SUGGESTIONS, Patch, Ratpatrol.

I wish there were more places to practice these sidehill lies, and I suppose you are right that it requires diligence. When I do practice them at this one range (with side hill lies) I  think, I GOT IT, and then it gets proved otherwise on the course at times. Y'all are right, I am probably being too ambitious and swinging too big.

I have MAJOR issues taking my medicine. I do it from behind trees sometimes, reluctantly. But if I have a clear shot to the green I find myself unable to not go for it, even though I see the logic of laying up safely out of the rough and hoping to chip up for a par. Will try this out though. 

I appreciate all the thoughtful suggestions. 

The other night I did read in Golf My Way that Nicklaus suggests hitting something more like a low stinger out of the rough with uneven lies, which echoes what was said here. 

The 3 wood off a side hill ball above lie even in the fairway is turning into my nemesis. I keep thinking I can get to the green and aim right and watch it continue right.

Someday this timid new participant may put his swing up there but not yet, Vinsk. 

Straight drives it shall be. Best regards, Epopt.

oops CLUBRAT

• Thumbs Up 1

Been having better success with the side hills. Realized that opening up the stance and, most importantly, staying upright rather than hunched makes the balls much more predictable on side hills. 

They say to stay upright but I was going way too far onto my toes in an effort to not fall back. Sorta misunderstood 'upright.'

Let's see how this goes, hope one day to no longer dread the side hills, especially with the woods. 

Note: This thread is 1674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!