Sandtrapp220

Titleist TS1 - Anyone Notice a Difference?

10 posts / 1136 viewsLast Reply

I've been told that the Titleist TS 1 would give  golfers with slower swing speeds better distance.

I have  a 88 mph Swing speed. Does anyone think it would help, or is it an advertising gimmick.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

30 minutes ago, Sandtrapp220 said:

I've been told that the Titleist TS 1 would give  golfers with slower swing speeds better distance.

I have  a 88 mph Swing speed. Does anyone think it would help, or is it an advertising gimmick.

I recommend going to see a club fitter. The clubhead matters, but so does the loft, the shaft, etc.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

40 minutes ago, Sandtrapp220 said:

Compared to what? TS4 or other Titleist drivers, probably so. TM M6, Callaway Epic Flash, Cobra F9, etc, won't know until you compare but probably less difference. Every company has a driver meant to go high and far, and then a driver meant to go low with low spin for high speed players. If you are in the right category for your swing, the individual brand will probably make less difference. But like iacas said, need to hit them to see.

All driver faces, that are legal, have that .83 cor rating, assuming the golfer hits the ball at that .83 location on the face. . That means you don't gain any noticeable distance just off the club face itself, no matter who makes it. . 

The correct loft of the driver head, along with the correct shaft for the individual golfer's swing characteristics,  can increase the golfer's distance. This assuming the golfer has been using an ill fitted club head  loft, and shaft to begin with.  

This why it is best to get a quality fitting. A quality fitting will tell the golfer what loft, and shaft they need to get the best ball spin , and trejectory based on their swing speed, for their best carry distance. 

This is how I understand a good driver fitting. I may be wrong, and there may be more to the math involved during the club selection process. 

We see these advertisements that this, or that new, $500 driver will give the golfer 15-30-40 more yards. It might for some golfers, if it matches their swing characteristics. It definately won't give "all golfers" that extra distance. 

Just looked at the specs of the TS1, and it is exceptionally light. 175g head (compared to 197g average), 45g shaft, and 30g grip. So I was mistaken in that it is lighter than the stock options from other companies. You can get to those numbers with other OEMs but it may require an upgrade charge somewhere. That being said, that is super light and I don't know how the swing weight can't be in the mid C range. You definitely would want to hit a club like that before buying. It may work for you but you also might hate it.

Thanks Guys, I have a club fitting set for Wed.

I'm so afraid I may have to buy a new driver after the fitting. 

Then I want to get fitted for irons. If it goes the way I believe it will , I will need a place to sleep Wed. nite.

Thanx again😉

FWIW...

I’m 60 years old with a 93mph driver swing speed.  I played a Titleist 910 D3,  9 1/2° with a diamana blue board, stiff shaft for the last seven years.  This year I put a T2,  10 1/2° with a 50 gram, regular flex shaft in the bag.  I gained a good 20+ yards carry with “normal” contact, and misses are significantly better than that for the same miss.

How much of that is the clubhead, versus loft, versus the shaft, I don’t know. As others have said only a fitting will tell, but I love my T2.

My 24 year old Niece had a Driver fitting this summer and she purchased the Titleist TS 2.  She really likes her Driver.

My Wife has a Driver fitting coming up and she will be hitting Titleist as well as XXIO - that is supposed to be a pretty good Driver for 85 to 95 mph swings.

Try both TS1 and TS2.  Your swing speed 88mph is borderline between those two.

TS series are good drivers.  Not really better or worse than other brands.  But they have a nice all-titanium traditional sound and feel.