JayMar

Driver for a Tall Female

10 posts / 1081 viewsLast Reply

Hi, I'm a 5' 10" tall woman looking to purchase the Callaway Rogue driver.  Can anybody tell me please if I should I be looking to buy a Callaway Rogue driver for a senior?  I believe the club shaft on a senior's club will be almost as flexible as a ladie's driver, but have the extra length.  I'm asking this question because I've played with some ladies drivers and found them to be long enough.  Ladies drivers seem to come in varying lengths, and I don't know if the Callaway Rogue driver has a longish shaft or whether I'd need to get the senior's instead.  

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

38 minutes ago, JayMar said:

Hi, I'm a 5' 10" tall woman looking to purchase the Callaway Rogue driver.  Can anybody tell me please if I should I be looking to buy a Callaway Rogue driver for a senior?  I believe the club shaft on a senior's club will be almost as flexible as a ladie's driver, but have the extra length.  I'm asking this question because I've played with some ladies drivers and found them to be long enough.  Ladies drivers seem to come in varying lengths, and I don't know if the Callaway Rogue driver has a longish shaft or whether I'd need to get the senior's instead.  

For a driver you really should hit one with a monitor and see how you do. Going only by static fittings is just scratching the surface. Shaft choice is quite important when it comes to drivers. It’s really beneficial to try one out before making any decisions. At least you want to know your swing speed. Then you start testing based on that. Shaft flex varies from one manufacturer to another. Cheers.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Go get on a launch monitor as per what @Vinsk mentioned.

The monitor, if run, and interpreted properly by qualified tech will tell you exactly what you need in a driver, for your swing characteristics. 

If you want to save some money, try getting a driver built, per your swing specs by a club builder/fitter using components. It won't say Callaway on it, but will work just as well for you.

I know a guy who was fitted for a 2018 model Ping driver. It was going to cost him several $100s of dollars.. By chance he found a much older Ping driver in a bargain bin for $60. It matched up to his swing specs perfectly. The Ping retailer was pissed, but hey, a dollar saved is a dollar earned they say. 

I am just going to answer the question's you are asking, and not getting into the fitting discussion. The shaft difference in terms of length between mens and women's is 1 inch. That being said, manufacturers have made the "standard" driver so long that you would easily be able to use the women's length at 5'10" regardless of flex. I am 6ft and use a 44.5 driver (which in this case would be standard women's length). The senior flex shaft will be slightly stiffer, but if you can hit one, you can usually hit the other. Only caveat is if you always miss with a slice or have issues with launch height, a softer shaft can help.

The stiffer shaft will be heavier in total weight by a few grams. The swing weight will also be heavier with the senior club.

I would say figure out how hard you swing the club and if your miss is as described above, to determine the flex. However if you do go with the senior club, I would play it at 44.5, not at 45.5 length. A 45.5 driver rarely does you any favors.

On 9/16/2019 at 3:12 PM, JayMar said:

Hi, 

I'm a woman, 6' tall. It's all about swing speed, what feels good, and how well you can control it. Rogues are on sale right now and they're a good driver. I assume that's your reason for choosing them.

The men's Callaway Rogue driver is 45.5". The women's is 44.5". But there really is no standard. It's all about what works best for you. 

I play a Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic and cut the shaft to 44.5" for control. I use a "men's" R shaft because of my swing speed which is in the low mid-90s. 

If yours is in the range of 80 - 95 you can use a Regular flex shaft. If it's in the 75 - 85 mph range you can use a men's light flex shaft (they don't call it senior anymore... lol because people don't want to feel old). Women's flex is for speeds below 75.  You'll find this out when you go on a launch monitor at the golf shop. You'll do this before you buy the club, right? Make sure you're fit for the club.

Here's the deal, if the 45.5" is too long, you can always have the shaft "butt cut" 1". It will make the club feel lighter to swing but won't reduce the mass of the club head at all. You do not have to add lead tape to the club head and bring up the swing weight. But before you do that I'd wrap some electrical tape around the butt end of the grip about 1/8" thick with the bottom of that 1" down from the end of the grip. Then take it to the range, maybe play a practice round or two with it and see if you like that. If you liked it better longer, it's easy to remove the tape. 

On 9/16/2019 at 6:50 PM, Adam C said:

However if you do go with the senior club, I would play it at 44.5, not at 45.5 length. A 45.5 driver rarely does you any favors.

Agree...Drivers today are crazy long (in length) for most of us, short or tall. Mfrs sell the idea of a long club for distance, but like others, I have found better distance and control with a reduced-length driver after taking it to a knowledgeable person for a "fitting" of length and weight based on my swing. Good topic @JayMar Best to all, -Marv

On 9/16/2019 at 5:31 PM, Patch said:

Go get on a launch monitor as per what @Vinsk mentioned.

The monitor, if run, and interpreted properly by qualified tech will tell you exactly what you need in a driver, for your swing characteristics. 

If you want to save some money, try getting a driver built, per your swing specs by a club builder/fitter using components. It won't say Callaway on it, but will work just as well for you.

I know a guy who was fitted for a 2018 model Ping driver. It was going to cost him several $100s of dollars.. By chance he found a much older Ping driver in a bargain bin for $60. It matched up to his swing specs perfectly. The Ping retailer was pissed, but hey, a dollar saved is a dollar earned they say. 

Ditto for getting a driver built for you by a fitter. I had purchased two drivers off the rack...all kinds of adjustable knobs and screws. Did nothing for me.

I'm 66, 5 foot 8. Friend of mine told me about "a Fitter guy". Ended up with a KZG head, Accra graphite shaft and golf pride grip. All I know about the specs is that the head is black

But...I can now hit it straight about 195-205. Prior to that it was a 195-205 slice

Two hours with the guy, and the club, cost me $325. Thats 3 years ago.

I just want to golf...I'm not that tekkie guy.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:00 AM, JayMar said:

This is a great help.  Thank you all who responded.  Some great tips here!

Welcome to the forum and don't be a stranger.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:57 PM, DrvFrShow said:

Hi, 

I'm a woman, 6' tall. It's all about swing speed, what feels good, and how well you can control it. Rogues are on sale right now and they're a good driver. I assume that's your reason for choosing them.

The men's Callaway Rogue driver is 45.5". The women's is 44.5". But there really is no standard. It's all about what works best for you. 

I play a Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic and cut the shaft to 44.5" for control. I use a "men's" R shaft because of my swing speed which is in the low mid-90s. 

If yours is in the range of 80 - 95 you can use a Regular flex shaft. If it's in the 75 - 85 mph range you can use a men's light flex shaft (they don't call it senior anymore... lol because people don't want to feel old). Women's flex is for speeds below 75.  You'll find this out when you go on a launch monitor at the golf shop. You'll do this before you buy the club, right? Make sure you're fit for the club.

Here's the deal, if the 45.5" is too long, you can always have the shaft "butt cut" 1". It will make the club feel lighter to swing but won't reduce the mass of the club head at all. You do not have to add lead tape to the club head and bring up the swing weight. But before you do that I'd wrap some electrical tape around the butt end of the grip about 1/8" thick with the bottom of that 1" down from the end of the grip. Then take it to the range, maybe play a practice round or two with it and see if you like that. If you liked it better longer, it's easy to remove the tape. 

Well stated, if I may add that you can always "grip down " if the extra 1" in length is tough to adjust to in the beginning..

Cutting the shaft shorter will be difficult to reverse the process ( you can add extension ). and it will make the shaft feel a bit stiffer than before the shortening.

The light flex in man's will play similar to lady's flex, the R flex shaft will be slightly heavier and thus play a little stiffer.  At 45.5" ( 1" over the lady's 44.5" ) the R flex should feel about the same flex with the lady's at shorter length, If you cut the R flex shorter than it'll feel a bit stiffer. 

Many had suggested to give it a test drive.  It is recommended to do so if you have a chance.  Launch monitor is fine but driving range is better.  Launch monitor on a driving range is the best.  Next to be able to demo the driver on the golf course.  Some golf shop will let golfers demo the golf club with a deposit.

Good luck to you, and remember the extra 1" in length might take a little time to get used to.  But if you're athletic, don't be afraid of trying the 45.5" length.  It will give you extra distance over the shorter length if you can handle it..