IGNORED

Medical Marijuana Question?

Billy Z
Note: This thread is 1604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Eric C said:

I don't know that that is accurate, and it definitely depends on the state.  In Colorado and California, for example, medical marijuana is exactly the same as the recreational strains available in dispensaries.  The difference is the level of taxation.  I did find one article that stated that 14 states limit THC potency, but after researching state-by-state wasn't able to pin that down.  I don't disagree that it's possible, but will argue the efficacy of doing so.  But to your point - Florida is considering legislation to limit the potency to 10% THC because levels above that "can induce psychosis in some users" (anyone seen Reefer Madness? 😄) A fools errand - the pot our parents smoked was around 7%, with the high-end "sinsemilla" coming in at around 9.5%.  It still gets you high.  Admittedly, the strains produced these days are much stronger, with 18-20% being considered high potency, and 30% being the upper limit for flower.  Extracts from marijuana plants, like hash oil, generally come in between 50 - 80%.

To tie it all back together so I'm less off topic - regardless of the THC level, marijuana impairs a person mentally more so today than it did 20 years ago.  Golf is proven to have a significant mental component, aligned closely with the physical aspects of the game.  Thus weed absolutely has a negative impact on ones golf performance - though it might make a shitty round more fun.

I don’t doubt it, I’m sure there’s a way to tune the performance to increase or enhance by using the right stuff to a particular athlete at any given conditioning state...

There’s certainly no shortage of experts in this field. :-D

I know growing is turning into a pretty serious science. I was designing a robotic hydroponic system that harvests and trims plants for a friend and was surprised by the detailed knowledge they had on everything from color temperatures, ambient temperatures to nutrients...

16 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I stand corrected, marijuana is definitely a PED. People that smoke weed don't remember how bad they sucked and therefor are not affected by the 'demons" the rest of us are.

:-D

Pretty much what I’ve seen...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Seriously though, I still don't buy that it's effects are performance enhancing for golfers

I'm going with what the USADA and WADA think over what you think on this one. Sorry. It's a PED.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm going with what the USADA and WADA think over what you think on this one. Sorry. It's a PED.

You’ve got a degree in this. Do you think marijuana is a performance enhancer? Helps ‘relax’ a player? So does gum, tobacco, for some. And protein bars, energy drinks are artificially manufactured products that actually are promoted and sold as performance enhancing products. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

You’ve got a degree in this. Do you think marijuana is a performance enhancer? Helps ‘relax’ a player? So does gum, tobacco, for some. And protein bars, energy drinks are artificially manufactured products that actually are promoted and sold as performance enhancing products. 

Marijuana isn't a Gatorade.

I have a degree in medicinal chemistry, yes. My senior project even dealt with using derivatives of MDMA to treat Alzheimer's patients.

But, again, on this I'll trust the WADA and the USADA. It's not like they just list all recreational drugs as PEDs.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

But, again, on this I'll trust the WADA and the USADA

Yeah I don’t. I care more about the scientific  data, the chemical makeup as it pertains to the drug. There is no violation of ‘ Driving while enhanced’. This chemical impairs motor skills. My point was that using the untested ( AFAIK) idea that it ‘enhances performance’ is a poor one as many artificial substances that testing showed to enhance performance are allowed.

WADA and USADA are just as capable of being wrong as any other organization. 

But I agree based on the legality issue, just not sold on it being ‘performance enhancing.’

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

WADA and USADA are just as capable of being wrong as any other organization.

Eh. They're less likely to be wrong than me or you taking a guess based on limited knowledge, study, data, etc.

It should be similar to beta-blockers.

See: 

BETA-thumbLarge.jpg

The permissibility of beta blockers in golf’s top level has come into focus anew this week after Charlie Beljan won a PGA Tour event Sunday, two...

"The permissibility of beta blockers in golf’s top level has come into focus anew this week. Charlie Beljan won a PGA Tour event Sunday, two days after being hospitalized with a panic attack. Beljan, who said that this week he was going to consult doctors near his home in Arizona, might be treated with medication to prevent future panic attacks. But in competition, he will not be allowed to take certain medications, like beta blockers, without applying for a therapeutic use exemption, which requires a review by an independent panel of doctors."

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

It would be nice if the usga would be as specific as they could with each particular drug, if possible. 

Outside of their championships, it's not really a USGA thing.

It's an Olympics thing, a PGA Tour thing, etc.

• 1 month later...

Late to the party, but, my son has suffered from ADHD most of his life. He has difficulties with focus and concentration. Weed does help him focus in many areas, including sports. I'm sure there is a trade-off affecting things like motor skills and endurance, but I've seen him exhibit clarity in critical thinking when taken in moderation. In my mind, that's a mental PED. Instead of one step behind, he can be one step ahead. Personally, I don't partake in alcohol/drugs while golfing, it ruins my game.

Note: This thread is 1604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!