IGNORED

How Many Pure Shots per Round?

Pure Shots  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How many shots (of about the 30-33 full swings you take in 18 holes) do you "pure" or hit "really solidly" per round? (See first post for definition.)

• 1-3
    • 4-6
    • 7-9
    • 10-12
    • 13+ (liar)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a pretty common thing, our definitions of "pure" are different, largely dependent on our level of play.  I'm likely to be very happy with a quality of contact that would leave a better player

My first thought when I read the question was about 3 or 4, which straddles two responses.  On tougher days its more like 1 or 2, on really solid days it could be 5 or even 6.  Since I had a good soli

I voted 1-3. Sometimes I miss it a little and end up near the pin and sometimes I flush it and end up off the green. For example, today I hit a 3/4 PW pretty much perfectly, but failed to properl

I said 4-6, I went back and revisited my last round and I came up with 6 shots, but I actually hit the ball really well that day. That would mean on a regular day it'd be 3-4, a bad day maybe 1-2.  I normally have at least one shot a round that I flush, its the shot that keeps you coming back for more.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Yep, I read that right after I posted.  Did not "pure" that post.

You can revise your vote (you still can, in perpetuity). You could have edited your post, too, but that time has passed now.

I voted 1-3.  I have that many (few) shots where I look up in my follow through and the ball is flying straight and long. Those shots are the ones that my follow through are in balance and I can pose watching it.  

I must be delusional.  When I get home from a round I write down the what I think were the really good shots.  I do that to off-set my memory of the bad ones.  Pared down to full swings...the number isn't one or two...it's 8,9, 10,11, or so.  Those are the shots that split the air and go like they were shot from a cannon.  Most of them fly long...but are a sight to see.  They feel effortless and the golf ball seems not to have weight.  The sound is different and I wonder why I can't do that all the time.  I accept that I do not...and that's how my game goes.

After reading over all the comments, it seems as if it is one of those situations where "the more you know, the more you know you don't know ", which seems to level out skill level to perceived skill level. Quite interesting.

My answer 1-3.  It is very rare to hit it pure.  IMHO, about 2-5% per round is good day for me.

My original response was 1-3 shots, but that’s because I’m harsh on myself on what I consider pure shots/really good. I have maybe 1 or 2 shots a round where I really could not have hit a shot better. But, the question includes shots that are a tiny off but still really good and I usually have several of those, so 4-6. 

11 hours ago, billchao said:

I'll be honest here and say I never consider any of my good drives "pured" simply because they're by accident 😅

I've hit one "pure" driver this year and it was with you @nevets88 and @jamo. And Jamieson was still 40 yards in front of me! :-P

I voted 4-6 because I went through my last round and there was four shots I was very happy with, that’s fairly typical for me per round. I don’t know if I’d call them pure but I don’t think I could have hit them better so I’ll stick with it

I said 4-6, which is round dependent for sure. If my timing is on I can strike a lot of very solid feeling shots, but the clubs I use could be masking those off center hits with the forgiveness built into them. I can also mishit pretty horribly those same rounds. If I'm having a really bad round I'd probably struggle to hit 1-3, but I don't know that I go a full round without hitting at least one flush shot. Of course, I could be completely delusional too.

At my level “pure” is relative and I chose 1-3.  I typically hit at least one drive exactly where I wanted to with a carry and roll up to 225.  I also play a lot of hybrids and will hit a shot or two as straight and far as I am able.  Pure? To a 67 year old 16 handicap they feel pure to me.

Okay, I had to really think about this question. The first problem is I've played very few 18 hole rounds this year. Mostly I've been grabbing 9 holes when ever I can. I played 9 after work on Wednesday this week and hit the ball really well. I scored well too. I shot a one over par 37. I can remember 7 shots that would fit iacas's definition of pure or really solid. Having said that I also played 9 holes (same course) after work on Monday. I shot a 42 and I only remember hitting 1 shot that would fit iacas's definition. So, if I average the two 9-hole rounds played this week that would be 3-1/2 shots per 9 holes???? I guess that means 7 shots in 18 holes???? 

Maybe that's high. I mean I hit the ball really well on Wednesday. Maybe that's an outlier. 

19 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

My first thought when I read the question was about 3 or 4, which straddles two responses.  On tougher days its more like 1 or 2, on really solid days it could be 5 or even 6.  Since I had a good solid 9 holes on Tuesday, I'm feeling optimistic, so I answered 4-6. 

This is about what I was thinking. 

I went with 1-3 after giving a good amount of thought into it about my last couple rounds. Maybe my two rounds of 76 recently could warrant a 4-6 selection but at the end of the day I feel it's more like 1-3 for me right now, and then when I have a bad day it's most certainly 0!