Jump to content
Bonvivant

Thinnest top-line (non-blades)

29 posts / 2360 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

So next year I would really like to get fitted for clubs, at least my irons. My question is, are there any/many options in the non-blade categories of irons that have thin top-lines like blades do? I have never been able to look down at bigger irons, especially when the top-line is meaty, and be confident that I will make good contact. With my current set (see signature) I get fairly good contact on most shots. I might have 2-4 fat shots and 1-2 thin shots in a round of 18 (I usually score in the 90s). Most of my trouble in regards to score, comes from duffed chips and a few errant drives, but I do want to get more consistent with my irons, and I know that blades wouldn't be recommended for someone playing at the level that I play. Does anyone have a suggestion of a line(s) of irons that fit my description, or am I stuck with blades if I want that thin top-line and non over-sized head? Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Every brand makes a cavity version along with a blade version of their players clubs. These still won't be that forgiving but more so than a true muscle back blade. If you are looking to make them a bit more playable try matching these heads up with a lighter (sub 115g) shaft. But again, Mizuno, Srixon, Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade, just to name a few brands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

My question is, are there any/many options in the non-blade categories of irons that have thin top-lines like blades do?

Short answer is no.

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

I have never been able to look down at bigger irons, especially when the top-line is meaty, and be confident that I will make good contact.

That's probably just in your head. I bet you don't hit your blades as well as you think you do and you'd get better results from more forgiving clubs. This is coming from a mid-handicap player who also plays blades. I'm leaning towards getting a set of clubs that are more suited for my swing next year also and I'll bet the fitter isn't going to recommend blades for me.

You might not like the look of a thicker top line, but that being the reason you think you wouldn't be able to hit it well? That's a bit odd. Do you stand over your driver and think to yourself, "This club is too big, I'm going to miss the ball?"

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

With my current set (see signature) I get fairly good contact on most shots. I might have 2-4 fat shots and 1-2 thin shots in a round of 18 (I usually score in the 90s). Most of my trouble in regards to score, comes from duffed chips and a few errant drives, but I do want to get more consistent with my irons, and I know that blades wouldn't be recommended for someone playing at the level that I play.

If your non-fat and thin shots are not all struck from the sweetspot, you'll see a benefit from more forgiving irons. How much distance do you lose on toe hits, heel hits, lateral dispersion increases, trajectory changes, etc., are all part of how GI and SGI clubs are designed.

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

Does anyone have a suggestion of a line(s) of irons that fit my description, or am I stuck with blades if I want that thin top-line and non over-sized head?

Honestly if you like a thin top line and a small clubhead, you have to play blades. I've played players' GI clubs or players' distance clubs that are supposed to look like blades but they still appear thicker. Hell, my MP4s are thicker than my Hogan blades. At the end of the day it's really not that big of a deal once you get used to them, but that really just comes down to you. Do you want to play clubs because they look better or because they perform better for you? Nobody can answer that for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

ou might not like the look of a thicker top line

I’m not a fan of the real thick top lines like some of the Callaway clubs. But it’s actually just as much the large offset that seems to come with those thick clubs that I don’t like. I could get used to the thickness but the offset is what gets to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’m not a fan of the real thick top lines like some of the Callaway clubs. But it’s actually just as much the large offset that seems to come with those thick clubs that I don’t like. I could get used to the thickness but the offset is what gets to me. 

I agree. I care less about the top line thickness than I do about offset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I agree. I care less about the top line thickness than I do about offset.

Offset is on my mind too. I am not a fan. Are there certain makes that have let's say mid thickness top lines but next to no offset. Great points in the other post. Just something im going to have to get used to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Offset is on my mind too. I am not a fan. Are there certain makes that have let's say mid thickness top lines but next to no offset. Great points in the other post. Just something im going to have to get used to

I am playing a set of Mizuno MP-18 MMCs, and really like them. They have a thin cavity, thin top line, and minimal offset. The SC version would also work. New MP-20s would be similar.

Also if you don't mind a bit thicker top, something like the Callaway Rogue Pros are smaller headed with very little offset. 

Again every company makes a small headed cavity back at this point. 

Might also want to check out some of the component options. Maltby has some heads that would fit the bill if you don't care about what name is stamped on your irons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you originally mentioned that you were going to go to a Fitter for this next set of irons I would suggest that you go into it with a complete and open mind.

Trust your Fitter and the equipment he/she is using.  Launch monitors do not lie, they present cold hard facts as to what is and is not working.  Hopefully your Fitter is using a Trackman but if not I would not consider that a deal breaker.

You might very well be surprised that what you visually prefer to look down at will also perform the best for you or near the very top of the list of clubs.

This then speaks to the general statements that are made that this, particular type of handicap works best with this type of club.  Throw those general statements out the window and stick to an open mind about what is going on with your fitting session. The reason for that is you are a specific situation, not general.  What may work for a general group of players may very well not work for you.

Just because you are a "Mid Handicap" player does not mean the GI or SGI irons are the best fit for you.  

I know this as a fact for me.  When I went into my last iron fitting I was running between a 12 & 16 handicap. I told my Fitter that I should look at GI & SGI irons.  Shortly into the fitting he took both of those categories out and focused on Blades and Player's Irons. My Fitter told me that I hit smaller club faces consistently center while hitting the GI and SGI irons I was all over the face.

My Fitter told me it was pretty much a toss up between Blades and Players Irons but he wanted me to buy Players Irons because they had enough forgiveness in them to help me.

After purchasing my current irons my handicap did drop.  The correct irons helped but I also really like hitting them thus I really enjoy going to the range and practicing with them, which all lead to dropping my handicap.

As to your last question, yes there are a lot of choices with little to no offset while also having a thinner to mid top line.  Mizuno, Ping, Titleist are some that come to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, djake said:

My Fitter told me it was pretty much a toss up between Blades and Players Irons but he wanted me to buy Players Irons because they had enough forgiveness in them to help me.

After purchasing my current irons my handicap did drop.  The correct irons helped but I also really like hitting them thus I really enjoy going to the range and practicing with them, which all lead to dropping my handicap.

Hearing your story about GI Irons vs Blades makes me wish I would have insisted on hitting some Blades when I went for my fitting. I hadn't played in a LONG time and told them that when I went in so I didn't even think about it at the time but honestly it's something that's always been in the back of my mind about Blades, the whole "have a smaller miss" thing since they are smaller. Which set did you end up going with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, djake said:

Since you originally mentioned that you were going to go to a Fitter for this next set of irons I would suggest that you go into it with a complete and open mind.

Trust your Fitter and the equipment he/she is using.  Launch monitors do not lie, they present cold hard facts as to what is and is not working.  Hopefully your Fitter is using a Trackman but if not I would not consider that a deal breaker.

You might very well be surprised that what you visually prefer to look down at will also perform the best for you or near the very top of the list of clubs.

This then speaks to the general statements that are made that this, particular type of handicap works best with this type of club.  Throw those general statements out the window and stick to an open mind about what is going on with your fitting session. The reason for that is you are a specific situation, not general.  What may work for a general group of players may very well not work for you.

Just because you are a "Mid Handicap" player does not mean the GI or SGI irons are the best fit for you.  

I know this as a fact for me.  When I went into my last iron fitting I was running between a 12 & 16 handicap. I told my Fitter that I should look at GI & SGI irons.  Shortly into the fitting he took both of those categories out and focused on Blades and Player's Irons. My Fitter told me that I hit smaller club faces consistently center while hitting the GI and SGI irons I was all over the face.

My Fitter told me it was pretty much a toss up between Blades and Players Irons but he wanted me to buy Players Irons because they had enough forgiveness in them to help me.

After purchasing my current irons my handicap did drop.  The correct irons helped but I also really like hitting them thus I really enjoy going to the range and practicing with them, which all lead to dropping my handicap.

As to your last question, yes there are a lot of choices with little to no offset while also having a thinner to mid top line.  Mizuno, Ping, Titleist are some that come to mind.

This is comforting. Hopefully I can go to a good fitter that has a decent selection between brands. These blades from 2003 with the stock stiff shafts (I believe they are S400) that I am playing with now always feel so good when I hit a good one, and I love them at address. There is a chance I could get away with reshafting these if it isn't too pricey, as I do like them and they are in good shape. Just maybe a bit too stiff on shafts for someone with my swing speed. For reference I hit my 7 iron (37o) from this set around 130-135 yards.

Edited by Bonvivant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

but honestly it's something that's always been in the back of my mind about Blades, the whole "have a smaller miss" thing since they are smaller

Huh? Blades don't have a smaller miss because the clubhead is smaller. Clubs are made more forgiving by having more mass away from the sweetspot which requires a bigger clubhead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Huh? Blades don't have a smaller miss because the clubhead is smaller. Clubs are made more forgiving by having more mass away from the sweetspot which requires a bigger clubhead.

I was referring to hitting the center more maybe because of swinging a smaller iron head like @djake mentioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

I was referring to hitting the center more maybe because of swinging a smaller iron head like @djake mentioned. 

I wish that was how it works. I'd buy a set of Baby Blades right now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

I wish that was how it works. I'd buy a set of Baby Blades right now...

Maybe it does work for some, I just thought it was interesting because he hit the players irons/blades (smaller iron) better than the GI/SGI irons (more center of the face) as he stated in his comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

Maybe it does work for some, I just thought it was interesting because he hit the players irons/blades (smaller iron) better than the GI/SGI irons (more center of the face) as he stated in his comment.

Maybe, I tell myself all the time that I don't lose that many strokes playing my blades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, billchao said:

Maybe, I tell myself all the time that I don't lose that many strokes playing my blades.

How long have you been playing them and what did you have before Blades? Notice any kind of loss/gain in the handicap department? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, ShawnSum said:

How long have you been playing them and what did you have before Blades? Notice any kind of loss/gain in the handicap department? 

Two years now I think. Any changes in my handicap reflect improvements in my game and not the change in irons. I had players' irons before which is really just a minor step up in the forgiveness department.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, billchao said:

Two years now I think. Any changes in my handicap reflect improvements in my game and not the change in irons. I had players' irons before which is really just a minor step up in the forgiveness department.

Good stuff! I'll get my hands on some in the near future and give them a whirl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • Are you paying attention to your sleep and nutrition? Those are two huge factors in recovery.
    • I'm with @Yukari Last week I started with double, birdie, double, and in my younger days, I would have given up right there. Now I know better. Picked up another birdie on the front 9 for a respecable 38, had 3bogeys on the back 9, but birdied the last hole for another 38. Never give up.
    • What are some proven strategies to recover if you have to play 18 holes of tournament golf each day for 2, 3 or even 4 days.?   Right now my weekly practice is as follows   Monday Off Tuesda Par 3 course focusing on distance control with irons and 40 minute putting session Wed Range Day focusing on odd numbered irons and driver.  Experimental shots, hooking, slicing on purpose.   Thursday 9 holes for score,  maybe a short game range session Friday Another short game session (putting chipping, pitching) Saturday AM 9 holes for score, Afternoon Range session practicing shots needed for Sunday Sunday AM Hot Tub soak, drive to the course to arrive 1hour before.  Warm up through bag with wedges, odd numbered irons and driver 18 holes   I'd like to be able to do 18 Saturday and Sunday but need some tips on how not to be so sore Sunday if I'm going to play 2 18s in a row.      
    • Played Saturday at one of the tougher courses (for me) in my area which plays as a Par 72, 70.3/124 - 6,245 yds.  Some highlights/lowlights.  First hole is a 490 y Par 5 - Hit my tee shot weak right and the put a 5w out leaving me 180 to a downhill green.   Hit a 5i clean and looked to be online but once it cleared the hill, I lost sight of it.  As I get closer to the green, my ball is sitting not even 3' from the hole....miracle shot.  For the 3rd consecutive round, I birdie the first hole.  Made bogeys on 2-5. Hole 6 - 143y Par 3 - had one of my best iron shots of the day.  2 putt par. Hole 8 - Par 4 that is about 230 to the water from the tee.  Always have played this with my 3w to land safely before the water hazard.  It may be time to switch to 5w or 4i as my tee shot went into the water.  Ended up with Double Bogey. Finished the front 9 with a 44 which is always excellent here. Back 9 started off terribly as I went +7 over three holes.  This includes a triple bogey on hole 12.  Tee shot left me ~ 165 to the green.  Flew over it and landed in this spongey type of moss on the back tree line.  Took me 3 freaking shots to get back on the green. Back 9 was not much to write home about....had back to back pars but that was it.  Came in on 48 44/48 - 92.....I will say, my tee shots, irons, and putter were all working.  Even with a 92, I must have easily lost 10-12 shots from just around the green.  Frustrating but it tells me what to focus on.  Stats 1 Birdie 3 Pars 9 Bogeys 5 Double + 4 GIR 35 Putts 1 Penalty Sunday, I played at my home course.  Front 9 was nothing special as I went out with a 45 and I then proceeded to light it up on the first half of the back 9.  I started out Par, Birdie, Par, Par putting me -1 after 4 holes and E after 5 holes.   I then had a disappointing finish of Double, Par, Bogey, Double.  Finished 45/41 - 86 for the lowest round of the year.   4 rounds in with scores of 89,87,92,86 so hopefully that is a sign of things to come.  I am feeling much more comfortable on most shots from a driver to a putter.  Just need to get the feel back for around the green and hopefully the scores/handicap will drop.  In those 4 rounds, I have 5 birdies.  In 2019, it took me 16 rounds to get 5 birdies.  Stats 1 Birdie 6 Pars 7 Bogeys 4 Double + 6 GIR 32 Putts 1 Penalty  
    • I will and try to get some swing video this weekend.  My daughter is letting me use her fancy phone stand and I will be able to get behind the line and face on.  I will even put my Zepp on and give you the data from it for that swing.  That is weather permitting, right now in Central Texas with weather can be iffy with rain and thunderstorms.  That, and it is getting hotter than Hades already.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Cwmgr
      Cwmgr
      (43 years old)
    2. Gfleck067
      Gfleck067
      (31 years old)
    3. golf82
      golf82
      (61 years old)
    4. JKnowlton
      JKnowlton
      (32 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...