IGNORED

Do You Normally Play 9 Holes, 18 or Both?

How often do you play 9 holes?   

69 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you play 9 holes?

• Never - If I don't have time for the full 18 I'll either not play or just practice.
    • Once in a while - I prefer 18, but I'll do 9 here and there.
    • About half the time I play 9, about half the time I play 18.
    • I usually only play 9, it's rare that I have time for a full 18.
    • I only play 9 holes at a time. I almost never play a full 18.
    • My usual round is 18, but I also play a league which is only 9 holes.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9 feels wrong....just wrong.... it's not "never", but it's closer to never than to "once in a while" Now I'm conflicted, because there is a very nice (I'm told) 9'er just a couple minutes from ou

If I can’t play 18, I don’t play.  I haven’t played nine holes intentionally since I was 14 years old. The only time I end up with a nine hole score is if I got rained out midway through a round, or p

Last October I had a heart attack. This summer the heat is really bothering me. I walk 9 almost every morning, Monday-Friday. I play early, and get done before it gets too hot. If it ever gets cooler

I have never paid for 9 holes.  That, to me, is like eating the hors d'oeuvres and then leaving the restaurant.  (But I certainly get why people only play 9 holes.)

I’ll play 18 when I can, which is mostly on the weekends, but during the week, I have school, so I can’t play until about 4:30, so I’ll just play 9.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My club has 27 holes and since I am paying the same monthly dues whether I play or not, I try to get as many rounds as possible. On weekends I play at least 18, been playing 27 holes the last 6 weekends. During the week I usually play 9 holes alone. 

On 9/25/2019 at 11:04 PM, David in FL said:

If you’re by yourself, on an open course, you should be able to play 18 in close to the same time as you’re taking to goof around hitting multiple balls on 9...

Maybe you can. At my age a 9-hole walk is plenty. And I play the shots, I don't "goof around" like you would.

I normally play 18 when i decide to play. During high summer i can usually get in 18 after work if nobody slowing me down. I never really plan to just play 9, its usually one of those things where i get through 8 and dont want to play anymore. 

Until this year I always hated 9 holes - it just felt unfinished so it was rare that I would only play 9.  Recently my job was such that getting out a little early to play 18 was difficult.  At the same time the course that was closet to work and on the way home had two major irrigation projects such that only 9 holes were open for most of the year and with only 9 holes open it didn't feel like I was missing part of the course.  So playing 9 after work 1-2 times a week became my norm with my weekend rounds being 18.  I'm almost always solo so it became my mid-week practices with a nice casual walk.  Never posted a 9 ever, even if I wasn't solo, as I was in practice mode mindset.

I month ago I'm playing great golf on a Sunday when an unforecasted storm stopped the round after 7 holes.  I was sort of pissed off so I posted the 9 even though I didn't think that I would ever have another 9 holes to combo with.  Sure enough a few weeks later same thing happened, this time after 9 holes but again playing great, and so now I have a combo round posted which is almost my best round ever.

On 9/24/2019 at 2:48 PM, shanksalot said:

The real reason I usually play 18 is to post an 18 hole round. I realize you can post just nine, but I prefer to post only 18 holes. So if I played only nine I would save the card and next time I played nine I would put them together and post an 18 hole score. Nor sure if the USGA approves this method but then I couldn't care less back then. 

The USGA does recommend that you post your scores as soon as possible after you play.  They also do the calculations for Slope and Course Rating for combined rounds, and you don't always have that information available for each 9 that you play.  

26 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The USGA does recommend that you post your scores as soon as possible after you play.  They also do the calculations for Slope and Course Rating for combined rounds, and you don't always have that information available for each 9 that you play.  

Thanks I thought that might be their wish. I no longer post scores or play in tournaments.

Edited by shanksalot

For the first time in quite a while I played just nine holes at noon on Sunday. It was actually one of the few solid outings I've had recently.

Maybe the fact that it wasn't a full 18 helped my concentration level. Maybe it was a coincidence. Either way I hit solid shots most of the way and finished in less than an hour and a half. Got back home in time to observe most of the second half of the early kickoffs.

Think I might keep it to nine holes more often on Sundays.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

For the first time in quite a while I played just nine holes at noon on Sunday. It was actually one of the few solid outings I've had recently.

Maybe the fact that it wasn't a full 18 helped my concentration level. Maybe it was a coincidence. Either way I hit solid shots most of the way and finished in less than an hour and a half. Got back home in time to observe most of the second half of the early kickoffs.

Think I might keep it to nine holes more often on Sundays.

Football season is the best season for golf. The courses have been empty on Sunday afternoon and I am loving it as I don't watch football. Cool you got to do both though

45 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Football season is the best season for golf. The courses have been empty on Sunday afternoon and I am loving it as I don't watch football. Cool you got to do both though

I think once the temperatures cool off a bit, more golf will look more attractive. 

For some reason, the commercial with Kuchar popped into my head in relation to you. "Another 18 boys? I'm thinking 36."

Just now, mcanadiens said:

I think once the temperatures cool off a bit, more golf will look more attractive. 

For some reason, the commercial with Kuchar popped into my head in relation to you. "Another 18 boys? I'm thinking 36."

I played 54 again this weekend. That's 3 weekends in a row, lol. I think I might have a problem

To me, 18 holes is a "round" of golf. If all I have time for is 9 holes then I guess that will do, but I'll rarely go play golf when I have that little time. What kills me is that on GolfNow, there are courses that will sell 18 hole rounds that tee off at 5 PM, when it gets dark before 7:30! You'd better be damned good and damned quick to make that schedule!

Edited by Buckeyebowman