Papa Steve 55

Alignment Aid?

26 posts / 2770 viewsLast Reply

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

On 9/24/2019 at 1:23 PM, DaveP043 said:

That's not exactly correct.  See Rule 10.2b(3), if you take your stance while the club is in place, you cannot escape the penalty by picking up the club.

As to the OP, it would be hard to "prove" that the player was parking his cart specifically to assist with his alignment.  On the other hand, if he's told you that he parks that way on purpose, you'd be justified in telling him that he was breaking the rule.  I suppose that you could argue that parking a buggy doesn't qualify as "setting down an object", but to me if he's parking the "object" in a specific way to help with alignment, he's violated the rule.

For clarification, what do they consider your “stance?” Do you need to have the club in hand, can you get alongside the ball, then grab the club and settle into your shot? I never knew it was against the rules to address the ball without picking it up

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If it's legal do it...i tend to address the ball with club face to intended target...all i had to do was adjust ball to front foot placement..was slightly fading so moved ball to outer edge of my left ( i'm  RH ) that's how i align and wham hitting ball dead straight https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.24130-6/70248890_166229744498321_7765487863332556464_n.mp4?_nc_cat=100&efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6Im9lcF9oZCJ9&_nc_oc=AQmVY4LPBrf0uN847jtq_eUFXCxjmiq53ziC-xvp296_1ouMFPGhy8UjgmavOWoGiCXyQ7LjsoAeLvhpmPadGZbj&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=c9e6b4197e9ade22803fcda6eb1fa10c&oe=5E2E62AA 

Edited by kevin6string
missing signature

If you make a very small mark on the fairway by tapping the ground with your club 3 feet from in front of your ball, does that count as not allowed. I know pros have been making a divot with their club on the tee box then using the up turned turf as a tee for the ball.  eg Laura Davies. same thing or different.

If you make a very small mark on the fairway by tapping the ground with your club 3 feet from in front of your ball, does that count as not allowed.

NOT ALLOWED

I know pros have been making a divot with their club on the tee box then using the up turned turf as a tee for the ball.  eg Laura Davies. same thing or different.

ALLOWED

12 minutes ago, Asheville said:

If you make a very small mark on the fairway by tapping the ground with your club 3 feet from in front of your ball, does that count as not allowed.

NOT ALLOWED

I know pros have been making a divot with their club on the tee box then using the up turned turf as a tee for the ball.  eg Laura Davies. same thing or different.

ALLOWED

I wrote to the USGA to ask about making a mark in the dew as an alignment and was told that it is under consideration, so as of now, we don't know!

On 10/2/2019 at 9:35 PM, Wendy Dominick said:

I wrote to the USGA to ask about making a mark in the dew as an alignment and was told that it is under consideration, so as of now, we don't know!

No answer yet Wendy?