IGNORED

Thoughts for a Very Large Friend's Swing?

Club Rat
Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 9/24/2019 at 8:55 PM, Club Rat said:

Losing the bulge is a long term option... 

Bump....
Over the past 6 months, he has shed over 60 lbs.
Hopefully it will help regain a better swing this season.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Bump....
Over the past 6 months, he has shed over 60 lbs.
Hopefully it will help regain a better swing this season.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Glad to hear it.

60 pounds over 6 months should really help him. 

What ever you do don't tell him about Bryson DeChambeau's 8000 calorie per day diet. 💪

Seriously, I hope your buddy is taking good care of himself. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I play with a guy who is a bit "round". He struggles with the weight and if he loses too much weight, he looks and feels terrible. He just carries more weight better. Generally healthy over all, considering. The one thing he has is he is INCREDIBLY flexible. I cannot believe some of the ways he can contort himself when I would snap a ligament. He also struggled a bit to find 'his' swing. He generally had a weak slice and played it. He asked me if I could help. His weak slice was a a classic over the top from an extremely vertical swing plane trying to get his gut out of the way. Because of his flexibility, I tried to get him to remember to think to himself "Around, NOT up" to try and bring the club from the inside a bit more. And also to think about more "oomph" on the downswing. He tended to just go back and forth and nearly the same speed. Moved him away from the ball a bit and had the ball a bit more forward to take advantage of hitting more up on the ball. Flattening the swing and moving the ball almost immediately lessened the slice but still had no 'pop'. He eventually got the "oomph" part and now he is longer than he was and straighter as well. But he also realized a few years ago a Stiff shaft wasn't his best choice. Probably contributed to his rights as well. 

It seems like this is more than just concern for your friends golf game, this should be, and I know you are, a concern for his well-being, in fact his life. It is sooo hard breaking bad habits and doing what is best for one's self but that is what he needs to do. I am trying to lose some weight, about 20 lbs, and at age 65 it's tough, especially with a bad ankle. I am determined to do it this spring/summer, and determination is what your friend needs.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Note: This thread is 1123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!