IGNORED

Fivesomes on a Weekend Morning

FlyingAce
Note: This thread is 953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

15 minutes ago, David in FL said:

That was kind of sporty...  remember, there’s no law that says that only one ball can be in the air at any given point in time.  :-D   

But what is the rule on balls colliding in the air?  Rules Guy?  😄

21 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

But what is the rule on balls colliding in the air?  Rules Guy?  😄

Those two guys buy the drinks!   :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

But they don't know they're slow.   😁

Oh how I can attest to this.  There is this one guy we play golf with.  Plan on an entire day.  He has no clue as to how slow of a golfer he is. And he gets mad when we let people go thru.  He is also that guy who has an endless supply of golf balls in his pocket and believes that mulligans are a fact of each and every shot.

I believe this speaks more to a lack of curtesy.  This guy has no clue or doesn't care to look back and see people waiting.  While I have been behind people that are slow and they let me go thru they apologize for being slow.  I thank them and then tell them to enjoy the rest of their round.

Being a slow golfer, no issue.  Not being a courteous golfer, there is no excuse for that.  As such I hardly will golf with the above mentioned golfer.    

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

14 minutes ago, djake said:

Oh how I can attest to this.  There is this one guy we play golf with.  Plan on an entire day.  He has no clue as to how slow of a golfer he is. And he gets mad when we let people go thru.  He is also that guy who has an endless supply of golf balls in his pocket and believes that mulligans are a fact of each and every shot.

I believe this speaks more to a lack of curtesy.  This guy has no clue or doesn't care to look back and see people waiting.  While I have been behind people that are slow and they let me go thru they apologize for being slow.  I thank them and then tell them to enjoy the rest of their round.

Being a slow golfer, no issue.  Not being a courteous golfer, there is no excuse for that.  As such I hardly will golf with the above mentioned golfer.    

It sounds like we're playing with the same guy!  To protect the guilty I will change his name to Carl.  Carl will pace off 75 yards to the green.  Carl does not believe in technology... hence he has no rangefinder.  He paces off all shots to a yardage marker.  Carl has no rear view mirror.  When Carl and I share a power cart he'll fill 6-7 divots with sand, saying he's being courteous to the greens superintendent.  With four other golfers behind us glaring at us.  Wondering why the folks on the course behind us don't count?  Carl does not believe in "ready golf".  You must await your turn.  And if you don't watch Carl hit his shot he will not play until all eyes are upon him.  To help speed up play Carl will give himself 5 footers on the putting surface.  I don't play with Carl much.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It sounds like we're playing with the same guy!  To protect the guilty I will change his name to Carl.  Carl will pace off 75 yards to the green.  Carl has no rear view mirror.  When Carl and I share a power cart he'll fill 6-7 divots with sand, saying he's being courteous to the greens superintendent.  With four other golfers behind us glaring at us.  Wondering why the folks on the course behind us don't count?  Carl does not believe in "ready golf".  You must await your turn.  And if you don't watch Carl hit his shot he will not play until all eyes are upon him.  To help speed up play Carl will give himself 5 footers on the putting surface.  I don't play with Carl much.

At least Carl fills divots. 🙂 Very similar though.

I remember looking at my "Carl" hitting a 50 yardish approach shot with another in our group.  Carl duffs it then instantly the hand goes in the pocket and out comes a ball, duff and then this process repeats itself.  I looked at my friend as we were watching and asked him how many golf balls does Carl carry in those pockets?  He responded, I don't know a couple dozen maybe.

I am embarrassed to even mention I have been involved with this.  When the course is empty I could care less how many shots Carl took but he never understands that when it's not empty that we have to keep moving.

To control our Carl we went to 2 man scramble match play.  No mulligans, hit and go.  That is the only way we can keep him at a normal pace.

To clear my conscious I once again apologize for Carl to all of you

Sorry for going off topic....

I have no issues with a 5 some if the course allows it.  Just as long as "Carl" isn't one of the 5...……..

• Like 1

- Dean

Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6

1 minute ago, djake said:

I remember looking at my "Carl" hitting a 50 yardish approach shot with another in our group.  Carl duffs it then instantly the hand goes in the pocket and out comes a ball, duff and then this process repeats itself.  I looked at my friend as we were watching and asked him how many golf balls does Carl carry in those pockets?  He responded, I don't know a couple dozen maybe.

I am embarrassed to even mention I have been involved with this.  When the course is empty I could care less how many shots Carl took but he never understands that when it's not empty that we have to keep moving.

To control our Carl we went to 2 man scramble match play.  No mulligans, hit and go.  That is the only way we can keep him at a normal pace.

Gotta love Carl.  Away from the course he knows a good full-bodied red wine when he sips one.  And he appreciates a good cigar.  Not to mention he is of the correct political persuasion.  😁

21 minutes ago, djake said:

I’m sorry, but if you allow the behavior in your group without actively addressing it, you’re all as culpable as he is...

I know from experience that it can be tough to address that with a buddy.  But it can be done and everyone will benefit from you having done so.

8 minutes ago, djake said:

Sounds like Carl has modified your behavior, rather than you modifying his.  ;-)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

I’m sorry, but if you allow the behavior in your group without actively addressing it, you’re all as culpable as he is...

I know from experience that it can be tough to address that with a buddy.  But it can be done and everyone will benefit from you having done so.

Carl's behavior was addressed.   He lives and plays golf in a certain West Coast city 1,224.6 miles from me.  He doesn't play golf any more, in part because nobody will play with him.

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I 1000% agree with you regarding this!

We did everything we could think of to get "Carl" to understand slow play.  It would get to the point that I would yell very loudly at him to let people go thru.  And I can really boom it out there.

Thus the only way we could correct him was to play 2 man scramble match play for a beer per 9.  That was it.  Add in the fact that he has no understanding of what the USGA is.  Playing 2 man scramble for a beer really feeds into his exceptional competitive nature.  We never have a problem with pace since the switch and we limit his creative cheating.  

- Dean

30 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It sounds like we're playing with the same guy!  To protect the guilty I will change his name to Carl.  Carl will pace off 75 yards to the green.  Carl does not believe in technology... hence he has no rangefinder.  He paces off all shots to a yardage marker.  Carl has no rear view mirror.  When Carl and I share a power cart he'll fill 6-7 divots with sand, saying he's being courteous to the greens superintendent.  With four other golfers behind us glaring at us.  Wondering why the folks on the course behind us don't count?  Carl does not believe in "ready golf".  You must await your turn.  And if you don't watch Carl hit his shot he will not play until all eyes are upon him.  To help speed up play Carl will give himself 5 footers on the putting surface.  I don't play with Carl much.

I don’t mind him fixing divots and everything else you mentioned, as long as he keeps PoP

21 minutes ago, djake said:

Sorry for going off topic....

I have no issues with a 5 some if the course allows it.  Just as long as "Carl" isn't one of the 5...……..

“Carl” is now the four letter golfer? 😂😂😂

17 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Gotta love Carl.  Away from the course he knows a good full-bodied red wine when he sips one.  And he appreciates a good cigar.  Not to mention he is of the correct political persuasion.  😁

😂😂😂

10 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Carl's behavior was addressed.   He lives and plays golf in a certain West Coast city 1,224.6 miles from me.  He doesn't play golf any more, in part because nobody will play with him.

1224.6 miles from the first tee? 😁

Wow, yeah. I’m pretty used to 5 somes...

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

9 minutes ago, djake said:

I 1000% agree with you regarding this!

We did everything we could think of to get "Carl" to understand slow play.  It would get to the point that I would yell very loudly at him to let people go thru.  And I can really boom it out there.

Thus the only way we could correct him was to play 2 man scramble match play for a beer per 9.  That was it.  Add in the fact that he has no understanding of what the USGA is.  Playing 2 man scramble for a beer really feeds into his exceptional competitive nature.  We never have a problem with pace since the switch and we limit his creative cheating.  

I addressed the issue with Carl, as well.  But he is either in denial about being slow (actually he's the slowest golfer in the universe) or he says, "F**k 'em", I'll play how I want to."  Not to mention the time at Pebble Beach when the assistant pro came out onto the course twice to speed us up... followed by the head pro after that!  Carl exclaimed that he was paying for the round, get out of his face.  Actually, I was paying for his round.  That still makes me laugh.

10 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I addressed the issue with Carl, as well.  But he is either in denial about being slow (actually he's the slowest golfer in the universe) or he says, "F**k 'em", I'll play how I want to."  Not to mention the time at Pebble Beach when the assistant pro came out onto the course twice to speed us up... followed by the head pro after that!  Carl exclaimed that he was paying for the round, get out of his face.  Actually, I was paying for his round.  That still makes me laugh.

UGHHHH!!!  This is just how my Carl would and did respond.

We would just stare at him with disbelief.  

I have only played golf with Carl once this year and had enough.  Told my friends that as well.  I enjoy Carl away from the golf course, far far far away from a golf course.  I have lost my desire to play golf with him any longer. 

• Like 1

- Dean

13 minutes ago, djake said:

I have only played golf with Carl once this year and had enough.  Told my friends that as well.  I enjoy Carl away from the golf course, far far far away from a golf course.  I have lost my desire to play golf with him any longer. 

I haven't played golf with Carl in about 3 years.  Poor, poor ostracized Carl...

• Like 1

Maybe you private-club guys can get away with fivesomes when all the players are house broken, but these golf mobs are pure death on a public course.

Weekend mornings are about the only time we have actual starters, so that's the one time a fivesome won't happen. It's bandit country in the afternoons and the fivesomes that show up are a guaranteed round ruiner for everyone else.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I take offense to the use of the name Carl in this example. The name does not garner much respect especially in Hollywood depictions.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

I take offense to the use of the name Carl in this example. The name does not garner much respect especially in Hollywood depictions.

Lol! I was just about to make ‘Carl’ the official ‘that guy’ but then I thought wait..there’s a Carl here.....

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• iacas changed the title to Fivesomes on a Weekend Morning
2 hours ago, djake said:

Yeah, but I doubt you’d want to be behind him in traffic too. I got stuck behind Carl at a stop light and watched as he carefully shifted out of neutral and carefully looked both ways at a protected left turn then slowly moved the car. Not accelerate, but nudged it forward. 😂

Then there are the people who text at intersections and delay moving for tens of seconds.

And on “Freeways”...

Traffic in some areas is like being behind a thousands of 5-somes of all Carls.

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, Carl3 said:

OMG... I forgot there was a Carl on this forum!  Carl, no offense meant.  Sorry.   You know, with the help of a judge you can change your name.😑  (One of my favorite nephews is named Carl)

13 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yeah, but I doubt you’d want to be behind him in traffic too. I got stuck behind Carl at a stop light and watched as he carefully shifted out of neutral and carefully looked both ways at a protected left turn then slowly moved the car. Not accelerate, but nudged it forward. 😂

Then there are the people who text at intersections and delay moving for tens of seconds.

And on “Freeways”...

Traffic in some areas is like being behind a thousands of 5-somes of all Carls.

Oh the humanity...

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!