IGNORED

Fivesomes on a Weekend Morning

FlyingAce
Note: This thread is 927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

The problem is that some players think that they need 2 minutes of other people staring at them while they check range, select club, stare off into space, take 4 practice swings with 10 seconds in between each one, and then finally strike the ball. I played with someone exactly like that on Sunday, and he was a very good golfer, but I wouldn't play with him again if you payed me. Anything outside of 10 ft was a 2 minute ordeal it seemed like. The worst was when he was aligning the ball on the green. Potentially 40 seconds of placing, standing up, checking line, getting back down to replace, ad nauseam. These people couldn't play a solo round with an empty course in under 3 hours. And I can't really say anything to them because the course was so slow that we are generally keeping pace, most likely because there is at least one of this type of guy in every group. I could see how a 5 ball could be played in sub 4 hours or even less, but they can't have one of these guys in it, and it seems like every group does.

The "everyone else is essentially standing around" part is what bugs me. You should have your range, club, and a few practice swings in (if you take any or many) before it is your turn to strike. That way when it is your turn, you step up to the ball, take a practice swing, and go. They shouldn't be standing around, they should be planning and preparing for their turn, not oogling someone else's set up. The only argument you could make against this is if you are riding in a cart with someone, and you don't get a chance to get to your ball at the same time because of distance from their ball. My counter argument to that would be to walk instead, or at least pull 2-4 clubs from your bag so that you can walk to your ball and set up. The other person can come pick you up after they are done, and you should be done with your shot by then.

Awhile back someone on here mentioned playing as a fivesome but as many as 3 balls could be in the air at the same time.  I like that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Ready golf does speed things up. But each golfer needs X amount of time to play 70 to 100 shots while everyone else is essentially standing around.

Why would I just be “standing around” if you’re 50 yards away from me, on the other side of the fairway?  You play your shot and I’ll play mine.  Even if we do so pretty much simultaneously.

That same concept can/should apply to any size group, too!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Why would I just be “standing around” if you’re 50 yards away from me, on the other side of the fairway?  You play your shot and I’ll play mine.  Even if we do so pretty much simultaneously.

That same concept can/should apply to any size group, too!

I agree, but I don't think that many golfers do that.

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2019 at 3:10 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

A long time ago I posted here or on another golf site a bold idea for speeding up play and encouraging others to become faster.

The pro/assistant pro goes out with you for 9 holes and afterwards presents you with a card, either green, yellow or red.

Green = fast player

Yellow = moderate speed player

Red = Slow player

Greens get preferred tee times and can also play in the morning.  Or anytime they want to.  Yellows can only play midday or later.  Reds get the late tee times... and the slowpokes are all out there together!  Kinda like pole positions in the Indianapolis 500.

Wishful thinking, I know.  It would probably mess with the revenue of a golf course.

Just stumbled on this thread and enjoyed the read.  This past week I have encountered 5-Somes in two ways.  First, on Sunday afternoon I did a quick 9 with my wife.  Stood on the 1st tee (par-4) and saw nobody on the hole.  We played and moved to the 2nd hole, a Par 3 and saw a 5-some leaving the green.  We then had to wait on the #3 tee box.  At least they allowed us to play through on #4 so that was the last we saw of them.  

In my league on Tuesday it worked out that my group, the last group of the day, was a 2-some with a notoriously slow player.  The group ahead was a 3-some with yet another notoriously slow player.  We just joined up at the 1st tee box, with the Starter's permission, as a 5-some.  I had to do a little prodding now & then but we managed to keep up with the group ahead of us.  It is scary that slow players just do not understand the problem and do not understand there is more to keeping pace then just rushing when it is their turn to hit.  I find most time is wasted between shots (looking for balls that clearly went 20 yards into the woods or 3-foot tall heather, watching every shot of every player instead of getting ready to hit their shot, not grabbing the driver & tee until after the others in the group have teed off, and other things like that.

As for @Double Mocha Man's idea above I HATE IT.  I play a lot in the afternoon and evening and why should I be forced to play behind the slow players?  Segregation is not the answer!  Assuming the pro had the time to do it, maybe they tell the "Red's" that they will be re-evaluated in x-weeks and if there is no improvement they will restricted from playing on the busier days (ie. weekends).  Maybe mandate that no group can ever have more than one "Red" player and any group with a "Red" player is automatically "On-the-Clock" and can lose preferential tee times in the future if they do not keep up with the group ahead or play to a specified pace if there is no group ahead.   

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've played in fivesomes at my brother's club (Indio, CA) and it is expected that you keep up with the group ahead. I don't recall that being a problem as we all played fairly fast. Seemed like it was standard practice for them.

Nearly 100% sure we finished in less than four (4) hours. Probably more like 3.5.

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

Note: This thread is 927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!