Hi Everyone, 

I sort of hate to even open this topic up but would honestly like to hear some other opinions. 

For the last 2 years, ( I just started playing golf 2 years ago because of Parkinson's Disease in my right hand. Exercise does wonders for controlling this disease. I had quit playing back in 1975 due to work, family, and raising kids.) ; 

I have been shooting just under a 97 to 100 for 18 from the whites. I am a 72 year old right handed golfer and play fairly well, at least I think I do. ( I play the ball where it lies and only move it or touch it if allowed by the USGA rules. But I digress)

I recently decided to see if I could break 95 0r even 90 at my age and still play the way I have always played. 

I shot a 92 last week in beautiful weather and then last Saturday in cold and rainy wind, I shot a 44 and a 38 for a 82. I also have shot several 80's this summer. However, this last time I played, I used a fairly new Titelist DT on the front nine. 

I made the offhand comment to my golfing buddy that I couldn't remember the last time I played golf, if ever, with a new ball. He pulled the cart over after my tee off on hole #10 and I switched to a new Callaway and promptly hit it in the lake. 😞 (He gave me two new sleeves of a Callaway balls that he had won in a tournament) (I was so embarrassed to hit the first new ball in the lake.) 

I then took my stroke penalty and got another new Callaway and drove it 200 yards to the green using my #3 fairway wood. I then proceeeded to play the rest of the round with the new Callaway ball. I shot a personal best of 38 on the back nine. 

I have been told that lost balls are lost for a reason and need to be left alone unless for practice or to give to the grand kids. After my personal best of 38 I am inclined he may have a valid point. 

The weather has not permitted me to play since last Saturday and it is now Wednesday and I am hoping to get out tomorrow. 

I have two players I play with who have an 8 handicap and I value their opinions and helpful hints. Both say and play with new balls. They use a Titleist or Callaway. 

So, anyway, I think I will play golf using only new balls. I will not buy anymore used or reconditioned balls. (I have a lot of balls anyway that I have found)

Personally, I noticed my putting seemed to improve by using a new ball over a used one. 

So count me in as a "New Ball Only" player. 🙂 

Any opinions or comments?

Retired Old Man

• Like 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Several years ago I bought reconditioned golf balls from Amazon.   It was a huge mistake.   They felt like rocks and the distance was almost 1 club difference.   At the time I was using the Project (a) ball and thought I'd stay with it.     

I've tried to play with golf balls that I've found but you never know what you're going to get.    Most are not the quality of even a cheap new ball.

I can see using used balls for a beginner because they will lose so many but anyone that plays often will benefit from a new ball.   I always play with a new ball and the ones I find go in the shag bag.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hardly ever loose any balls but if I take out a new ball, I will loose it immediately, especially colored ones.

I don’t feel that the ball being used/found will affect my game much, as long as they are still in good condition with no chips/scratches. In fact, both balls I used for my hole in ones were someone else’s lost ball and now they are sitting in my display case.

I get nice balls from one of the marshalls at my club. He goes out at the end of the day to look for lost balls and gives me the good ones (mostly ProV1) that looks brand new to me.

Edited by FlyingAce
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

I hardly ever loose any balls but if I take out a new ball, I will loose it immediately, especially colored ones.

I don’t feel that the ball being used/found will affect my game much, as long as they are still in good condition with no chips/scratches. In fact, both balls I used for my hole in ones were someone else’s lost ball and now they are sitting in my display case.

I get nice balls from one of the marshalls at my club. He goes out at the end of the day to look for lost balls and gives me the good ones (mostly ProV1) that looks brand new to me.

I hear you on the colored balls. I gave up trying to play them some time ago. 

They like to disappear on you quickly. 😄 

Thanks for the comments. 

Retired Old Man 

If you decided to play with new balls, what would be your preference?

I would use Titleist DT and Callaway. 

I seem to like them better than some other brands but I just started this "New Ball Thingy" and would like some of your choices. 

Retired Old Man

59 minutes ago, RetiredOldMan said:

If you decided to play with new balls, what would be your preference?

I would use Titleist DT and Callaway. 

I seem to like them better than some other brands but I just started this "New Ball Thingy" and would like some of your choices. 

Retired Old Man

A quick search will turn up many, many threads about golf balls.

• Thanks 1

New balls cost money and 90% of the balls you find out on the course are perfectly fine to play. 

Just take a couple of seconds and look the ball over. Is there a crack or abrasion? Is it discolored from sitting in some funky water? Give it a little bounce off your club and see if it feels right.

If it passes these tests, play it.

Edited by mcanadiens
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

99% of the time I start a round with a new ball.

Starting off with a new ball, is not any different than starting off with clean grips, and club heads/faces. I continually clean all 3 during a round.

I don't lose many balls any more. The ones I do lose is because they can't swim, and I don't scuba dive (much) anymore. . 

Now occassionally, (that 1%) if I finish 18 holes with the same ball, and shot a really good score, I will start my next round with the same ball. Probably a bad habit on my part. However, I have used the same ball for 36 holes before retiring it to my shag stick. 

By the same token, I have replaced a new ball after the first hole with another new ball.  

• Like 1

I prefer playing with new balls and do buy them on sale.

I also like playing yellow balls as they seem to be easier to track in flight and find on the ground.

2 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

New balls cost money and 90% of the balls you find out on the course are perfectly fine to play. 

Where are you getting this number?   This isn't my experience.   

17 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Literally, nine out of ten balls I find at my home courses are fine. No cracks, no cuts. Most of them are basically the same ball that some guy purchased brand new less than a couple weeks ago, before he lost it in the shrubbery. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Idk about the 90%, but I kind of agree, that alot balls found are still playable.

It stands to reason that when finding a ball, previously lost by someone else, the golfer is looking for the ball they just lost anyways. That might mean the found ball is just as playable as the one the golfer lost. This in relation to that golfer's swing.swing.

At any rate, found, lost balls, that are not still rolling, make decent  practice balls. 

On another note, I think all golfers should play a beat up range ball from time, to time. Then compare it's playability with their new gamers. That will tell them something about ball selection. 

Edited by Patch

42 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Literally, nine out of ten balls I find at my home courses are fine. No cracks, no cuts. Most of them are basically the same ball that some guy purchased brand new less than a couple weeks ago, before he lost it in the shrubbery. 

I always find stupid Noodles.  I simply can't play that ball... it puts my manhood at stake.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I always find stupid Noodles.  I simply can't play that ball... it puts my manhood at stake.

You are also a 2.9.

When you are a busted-up hack like me, it really makes no difference at all.

4 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Golf balls can be damaged from long exposure to water that you can't see.

23 minutes ago, billchao said:

Golf balls can be damaged from long exposure to water that you can't see.

Found this last week.  Plan on teeing it up on #1 to impress my buddies.

golf ball.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RetiredOldMan said:

Hi Everyone, 

I sort of hate to even open this topic up but would honestly like to hear some other opinions. 

For the last 2 years, ( I just started playing golf 2 years ago because of Parkinson's Disease in my right hand. Exercise does wonders for controlling this disease. I had quit playing back in 1975 due to work, family, and raising kids.) ; 

I have been shooting just under a 97 to 100 for 18 from the whites. I am a 72 year old right handed golfer and play fairly well, at least I think I do. ( I play the ball where it lies and only move it or touch it if allowed by the USGA rules. But I digress)

I recently decided to see if I could break 95 0r even 90 at my age and still play the way I have always played. 

I shot a 92 last week in beautiful weather and then last Saturday in cold and rainy wind, I shot a 44 and a 38 for a 82. I also have shot several 80's this summer. However, this last time I played, I used a fairly new Titelist DT on the front nine. 

I made the offhand comment to my golfing buddy that I couldn't remember the last time I played golf, if ever, with a new ball. He pulled the cart over after my tee off on hole #10 and I switched to a new Callaway and promptly hit it in the lake. 😞 (He gave me two new sleeves of a Callaway balls that he had won in a tournament) (I was so embarrassed to hit the first new ball in the lake.) 

I then took my stroke penalty and got another new Callaway and drove it 200 yards to the green using my #3 fairway wood. I then proceeeded to play the rest of the round with the new Callaway ball. I shot a personal best of 38 on the back nine. 

I have been told that lost balls are lost for a reason and need to be left alone unless for practice or to give to the grand kids. After my personal best of 38 I am inclined he may have a valid point. 

The weather has not permitted me to play since last Saturday and it is now Wednesday and I am hoping to get out tomorrow. 

I have two players I play with who have an 8 handicap and I value their opinions and helpful hints. Both say and play with new balls. They use a Titleist or Callaway. 

So, anyway, I think I will play golf using only new balls. I will not buy anymore used or reconditioned balls. (I have a lot of balls anyway that I have found)

Personally, I noticed my putting seemed to improve by using a new ball over a used one. 

So count me in as a "New Ball Only" player. 🙂 

Any opinions or comments?

Retired Old Man

I play rounds with new golf balls, but those same balls might get multiple rounds; however, they were "new" when purchased.  I will nonetheless buy refurbished/refinished/practice balls in lots for practice on the simulator.  No sense in cracking a "gamer" ball. 

I'll keep a newer ball lying around the mat to test my my latest trends once a month.  I know my usual ball speeds with every club and usual spin rates and carry numbers.  From there, I can tell pretty quickly whether a used ball is crap or not--that can happen quite frequently.  I've seen golf balls as much as 5-7mph of ball speed slower than a newer ball (with similar good strike) in the same practice round.  Easy to spot all that in practice and toss the ball.  But not on the course.

That's why i never use used balls on the course.